Movies Crashing

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Darkfox

Aug 6, 2007
I'm used to Google Maps crashing as well as Safari occasionally booting me to the home screen, but lately the iPod portion of my iPhone has been crashing while I'm watching a movie. It seems to happen at least once during every movie and will always happen at the same part in each one, but at drastically different times for each separate film. For example: it's happening at eight minutes thirty seconds into 'Signs' but will wait until forty-four minutes into 'Lord of War'.

The sound will mute right before it happens but there will be no visual distortion. It's more of an annoyance than anything since I have to use that tiny imprecise slider to skim past the 'bugged' part of the film. All movies were purchased and downloaded from iTunes so I doubt it's an encoding issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
My friend is running into this exact same problem on his iPod Touch and most recently his iPhone. He got the touch first and ran into this problem, and thinks he's figured it out by lowering his encoded bitrate to 768, but he is still crashing on videos he's downloaded from iTunes so thats not really the problem...

Anyway, he's got the same crashing issue on his iPhone now and we're both using the exact same method to encode/transfer movies. The ONLY thing that is different is that hes on Vista and I'm on XP.

What operating system are you on? I've read this also happens to Mac users but I'm not sure the OS is the reason, its just the last thing I can think of to help him trouble shoot this.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Im having the exact same issues. The tv shows were purchased through iTunes. And like you, the sound would mute right before crashing. I am on XP, running 1.0.2 firmware. Interestingly, i didn't have a problem when i had 1.0.1 firmware. What firmware are you running?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
My friend is on Vista and hes running 1.1.1 firmware. He thought the upgrade would have fixed it and didn't care about mods at that point, but it didn't fix his problem.

Theres a thread over on the Apple forums and its not just limited to PC users. I honestly don't know what the problem is because I've never been booted out of a video personally.

Like I said earlier, hes having better success watching video encoded at 768kbps which hes fine with, but that doesn't account for the iTunes videos hes already paid for which is the problem.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I'm used to Google Maps crashing as well as Safari occasionally booting me to the home screen, but lately the iPod portion of my iPhone has been crashing while I'm watching a movie. It seems to happen at least once during every movie and will always happen at the same part in each one, but at drastically different times for each separate film. For example: it's happening at eight minutes thirty seconds into 'Signs' but will wait until forty-four minutes into 'Lord of War'.

The sound will mute right before it happens but there will be no visual distortion. It's more of an annoyance than anything since I have to use that tiny imprecise slider to skim past the 'bugged' part of the film. All movies were purchased and downloaded from iTunes so I doubt it's an encoding issue.
my movies do that when I have too many Safari pages open. It happens also with an improper movie ratio combined to a high bitrate. It can take a lot of work to find the perfect mixture

Last edited by a moderator: