Movies on iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Madeyes

Dec 13, 2007
Cyprus
hiya guys.
I have an unlocked iPhone with 1.1.1 firmware.
I want to know how i can get movies either from DVD or PC onto my phone.
I downloaded a film this week but i can't seem to get it onto the Movies section in iTunes. It's just stored in the download folder on my PC. I don't have the movies folder from Windows (i deleted it as i didn't forsee needing it).:(

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
First, get a program called handbrake. That will convert them to iPhone/iPod format.
Second, I recommend using something like DVD Shrink to "rip" the DVD to your PC. This allows you to grab just the movie without the menus and previews. It allows for a smaller file, and then handbrake will compress it further, keeping great quality, but small size

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
hiya guys.
I have an unlocked iPhone with 1.1.1 firmware.
I want to know how i can get movies either from DVD or PC onto my phone.
I downloaded a film this week but i can't seem to get it onto the Movies section in iTunes. It's just stored in the download folder on my PC. I don't have the movies folder from Windows (i deleted it as i didn't forsee needing it).:(
If you are asking how to convert the movies to work on the phone then the response above mine is correct. If you mean that in iTunes you no longer have a group for Movies so any movies you put into iTunes cannot be displayed to sync to your phone...
In iTunes, click Edit, Preferences, then put a check mark in the Movies checkbox under Show. That will put the category heading "Movies" back into iTunes and you can then get to your movies.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
There is a whole forum dedicated to this exact question. I'd suggest surfing over to it and checking out the posts there. There are a ton of posts for different programs along with lots of reviews. It will let you select the one that is best for you.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
If you all look at what he said in his original post, he downloads a movie from within iTunes. It doesn't appear to be a problem with converting the movies into a format that works on the phone. He 'removed' the Movies category within iTunes so the only place he can see the movie he bought out of iTunes is in the downloads category in iTunes. My posting showed him how to put the Movies group back so he can see them in there within iTunes.

Madeyes

Dec 13, 2007
Cyprus
Thanks for your replies guys.
It's not the movies in iTunes i wiped it's the windows MY VIDIOS folder i deleted. I thin my problem is i haven't converted the movie into the right format.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
It's not the movies in iTunes i wiped it's the windows MY VIDIOS folder i deleted. I thin my problem is i haven't converted the movie into the right format.
Movies downloaded through iTunes don't go into "My Videos". They go into C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Movies.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Once you have the video file on your computer make sure that it shows in iTunes then when you connect your phone go into the iPhone settings and on the Video tab make sure that you have a check mark in the name of the movie. As long as iTunes sees the movie and it shows in the list on the Video tab, putting that checkmark will tell iTunes to copy it onto the phone.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
If you drag and drop ( or browse for) an existing movie on your system, and you delete or empty the original folder, then there is nothing for iTunes to reference.
Example. 90% of my Mp3's are in a folder I saved from my previous harddrive, currently located at C:\old drive\hawk\desktop\MP3's
I selected all of it and dragged it into my music folder in iTunes. However, if I delete all or even just one mp3 from C:\old drive\hawk\desktop\MP3's, it will still show in iTunes, but it will error when I attempt to play or sync.
If you had the movies in iTunes from your My Video folder and then you deleted the folder, then the files are gone and you will get an error anytime you try to sync or play in iTunes. ( unless you didn't empty the recycle bin. Then you can just restore them back to the My Videos folder)

Is this what happened? if not, can you give a better description of what you did?

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
If you drag and drop ( or browse for) an existing movie on your system, and you delete or empty the original folder, then there is nothing for iTunes to reference.
Example. 90% of my Mp3's are in a folder I saved from my previous harddrive, currently located at C:\old drive\hawk\desktop\MP3's
I selected all of it and dragged it into my music folder in iTunes. However, if I delete all or even just one mp3 from C:\old drive\hawk\desktop\MP3's, it will still show in iTunes, but it will error when I attempt to play or sync.
If you had the movies in iTunes from your My Video folder and then you deleted the folder, then the files are gone and you will get an error anytime you try to sync or play in iTunes. ( unless you didn't empty the recycle bin. Then you can just restore them back to the My Videos folder)

Is this what happened? if not, can you give a better description of what you did?
If you have mp3's showing in iTunes and you want to move them into the iTunes folder under my documents, go into iTunes and click the Advanced Tab, then Consolidate Library. This will move all your MP3's listed in iTunes into folders under the artists name within the C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music directory on your computer. Then you can delete the old folder and the files within without it causing problems. Not sure where they go on a mac though.

Madeyes

Dec 13, 2007
Cyprus
I think i've sorted it now guys. It was as simple as converting the movies.
Thanks for all your help.
I still can't see any movies on iTunes tho :p

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Make sure you have either a movies or video ( mine says video) folder in iTunes and drag and drop your movies into it and then follow the steps Griffinaz prescribed above.

qbansmokr

Oct 14, 2007
Once you have the video file on your computer make sure that it shows in iTunes then when you connect your phone go into the iPhone settings and on the Video tab make sure that you have a check mark in the name of the movie. As long as iTunes sees the movie and it shows in the list on the Video tab, putting that checkmark will tell iTunes to copy it onto the phone.
Griffinaz, I have converted a .wmv file using Easy WMV and everything seemed to work fine. The file converted and imported into iTunes 7.5. It shows in my "movies" library. It even plays fine in iTunes. My problem is that when I sync my iPhone that particular video does not sync. I have pre-purchased videos that sync no problem, but they appear in my music library not the movie library. Is there something I am missing? I am on a mac and my iPhone is running the latest software 1.1.2. Any help would be appreciated.

I am still researching all of the things the iPhone can do prior to my purchase in September. My latest question is: how do you download movies onto your iPhone? I am not referring to the step by step procedure, but how do you obtain movies for download? Are they available for download from iTunes, or do you try to copy Dvd's to your computer and transfer them to your device?

I know, dumb questions from a techno moron...please bear with me as I try to bring myself into the 21st century!

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I am still researching all of the things the iPhone can do prior to my purchase in September. My latest question is: how do you download movies onto your iPhone? I am not referring to the step by step procedure, but how do you obtain movies for download? Are they available for download from iTunes, or do you try to copy Dvd's to your computer and transfer them to your device?

I know, dumb questions from a techno moron...please bear with me as I try to bring myself into the 21st century!
You've pretty much answered your own questions. :)

You can buy/rent movies via iTunes and sync them to your iPhone, or you can use a combination of ripper and encoder to extract the movie to your hard drive and encode to a format compatible with the iPhone.

For Mac and PC, Handbrake is very popular and fairly robust for tackling some of the harder to rip titles. Videora is a popular package for PCs as well as Nero. I've used all three packages for the PC. In terms of ease of use, nothing beasts Handrake. In terms of functionality, I recommend Nero for purchase.

If you have a Mac, another very power program for small purchase fee is Video Hub. It alllows you to convert video to various formats and bit rates.

Good Luck. :)

You've pretty much answered your own questions. :)

You can buy/rent movies via iTunes and sync them to your iPhone, or you can use a combination of ripper and encoder to extract the movie to your hard drive and encode to a format compatible with the iPhone.

For Mac and PC, Handbrake is very popular and fairly robust for tackling some of the harder to rip titles. Videora is a popular package for PCs as well as Nero. I've used all three packages for the PC. In terms of ease of use, nothing beasts Handrake. In terms of functionality, I recommend Nero for purchase.

If you have a Mac, another very power program for small purchase fee is Video Hub. It alllows you to convert video to various formats and bit rates.

Good Luck. :)
Thanks for the info!
I went to the iTunes store, and the only movies I found were for rental only; is there another part of the site to purchase the movies so they don't "expire?"

Would a techno moron like me be able to figure out how to use those programs and convert them properly so they can be transferred to the iPhone?

Thanks!

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Thanks for the info!
I went to the iTunes store, and the only movies I found were for rental only; is there another part of the site to purchase the movies so they don't "expire?"

Would a techno moron like me be able to figure out how to use those programs and convert them properly so they can be transferred to the iPhone?

Thanks!
Good Day soccerphysio.

To answer your most recent questions:
As far as I know there is NO way to keep the iTunes movies from expiring.

The programs are simple and yes you would be able to use them.
If you can use a computer you are not a techno moron, so no more of that labeling, Sir.

Download Handbrake from any number of websites, get a movie from Blockbuster or the library, (if you like evil movies, get Event Horizon), bring it home, open Handbrake and follow the directions. That's it.

If you are using a Mac, converting the movie will be quick. If you are using a PC, you will be waiting until the cows come home. (I just copied Casablanca--a 90 minute movie and it took nearly 4 hours to convert it).

When you copy the movie to mp4 format, right click on it and hit open.
It will automatically open in iTunes and be available to load to your iPhone.

That's it. No muss no fuss.

Good Day

Dana