Movies!

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I’m really looking forward to Central Intelligence (2016), well because, Aaron Paul!! Amy Ryan (who played the delightfully geeky Holly Flax on The Office) is also in the movie. It’s out in theaters now but I’ll have to wait for the home video release. C’mon, Netflix, hurry this one up, please!

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I watched American Ultra (2015) and although it had many individual elements that I enjoy, I was not very impressed with the work as a whole. I do give it major brownie points for the carefully detailed blood, gore, and violence.

I watched Pacific Rim (2013) and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

220px-American_Ultra_poster.jpg
220px-Pacific_Rim_FilmPoster.jpg

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I just finished watching it, and it totally blew me away.

It’s easily the finest film I’ve seen all year, and it’s going to be in my thoughts for a good amount of time.

View attachment 44290
I saw it in the theater a year or so ago. It was okay, but overall I thought it was fairly forgettable.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Great movie. Morgan Freeman stole the show. Big let down overall at the end IMO.
I saw it in the theater a year or so ago. It was okay, but overall I thought it was fairly forgettable.
I guess I got lucky with it. It seemed to have the perfect amounts of ingredients for my tastes. That car chase scene was amazing--you have to wonder what is real and what is CGI, these days. They had a large number of names listed under "car stunts" during the credits, so it stands to reason that some of it was live action (albeit probably "enhanced" by CGI).

I also love how it started out with two entirely different scenes and how they slowly converged. I loved her performance--all of it, and I wasn't really a Scarlett Johansson fan until now. That scene with the drug entering her bloodstream and brain for the first time was wild!

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
I also love how it started out with two entirely different scenes and how they slowly converged. I loved her performance--all of it, and I wasn't really a Scarlett Johansson fan until now. That scene with the drug entering her bloodstream and brain for the first time was wild!
Long time SJ fan myself. :love:

To elaborate on my opinion: I loved the movie and the concept, but like I said it was a let down from what I consider its potential. Epic action/CGI sequences for sure, I get that. We've all grown up with the idea that humans only use a small percentage of our brains/minds. Trying to imagine being able to utilize the whole of our brain's computing power is intriguing stuff! My complaint is that the movie expended so many resources with the action sequences (car chase, gun fights, etc) that they didn't address the myriad psychological and philosophical implications to my satisfaction.

Similarly, the TV show Limitless, based on the movie by the same name and exploring a similar concept, failed to live up to it's potential. Again, just my opinion.

Incidentally, I happen to be reading this series of Sci-Fi books that deals with augmentation of intelligence and tapping into the full potential of and expanding the power of our biological "hardware."

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
The straight-to-video and not-very-groundbreaking I Am Wrath (2015) was decent enough to keep me entertained, but not very thought-provoking at all. It was originally supposed to star Nicolas Cage but John Travolta ended up with the part.

John Travolta's character's wife is murdered, and he barely seems to miss a beat before getting to work on getting revenge. By the end of the movie, he and his accomplice are joking around as if nothing major had transpired.

a.jpg

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Today I re-watched two beloved movies of mine…

Requiem for a Dream (2000)
Side Effects (2013)

Both are fantastic movies that I can easily recommend. Requiem is particularly morbid... and deep.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I watched Suicide Squad a couple of weeks ago and it is not as bad as the media made it out to be. I went in with low expectations, to be honest, and I was surprised by the performances and the movie in general, and Will Smith can make any movie better!!

I also watched The Jungle Book and loved it.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I was really looking forward to Central Intelligence (2016).

But, truth be told, it sucked. I was totally disappointed.

The only moment that was kind of memorable was when Aaron Paul’s character yelled, “B_____” (The b-word that he says all the time on Breaking Bad.)

Am I allowed to type the first letter of the word and underscores for the rest of the word, or am I going to get a slap on the wrist because this site is so prudish?

CentralIntelligencePoster.jpg

Horrible movie. Two thumbs down.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Am I allowed to type the first letter of the word and underscores for the rest of the word, or am I going to get a slap on the wrist because this site is so prudish?
I'll let it slide for sake of clarification. If you want to call the site prudish, take it up with Chris again. No need to insult the site like that.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
This site prudish? No. Respectful of others? Yes! I cringe when listening to some of the language I hear these days coming from both men and women when in public establishments. George Carlin's 7 and the other 4 letter words have absolutely no place in any public setting among mixed company ever, period and this is a public setting. I would hope that you wouldn't use that kind of language when speaking to your grandmother. If that makes me "Prudish" then so be it, I'm Prude and Proud of it.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
This site prudish? No. Respectful of others? Yes! I cringe when listening to some of the language I hear these days coming from both men and women when in public establishments. George Carlin's 7 and the other 4 letter words have absolutely no place in any public setting among mixed company ever, period and this is a public setting. I would hope that you wouldn't use that kind of language when speaking to your grandmother. If that makes me "Prudish" then so be it, I'm Prude and Proud of it.
It's a tough balancing act. My personal opinion on the matter rarely enters into it. The mod's job is to guide the forum along a course set by the site admin(s). I know that sounds somewhat officious, but that's the best way I can put it at the moment.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
It's a tough balancing act. My personal opinion on the matter rarely enters into it. The mod's job is to guide the forum along a course set by the site admin(s). I know that sounds somewhat officious, but that's the best way I can put it at the moment.
I apologize for throwing a rant in here as it probably isn't the place for it but language inconsiderate of others who may be unknowingly be present is a sore spot with me. The word that Rafagon was hinting at wasn't really all that offensive by today's standards. Today's standards however, have dropped somewhere into the abyss compared to only a generation ago. Again, my apologies.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I apologize for throwing a rant in here as it probably isn't the place for it but language inconsiderate of others who may be unknowingly be present is a sore spot with me. The word that Rafagon was hinting at wasn't really all that offensive by today's standards. Today's standards however, have dropped somewhere into the abyss compared to only a generation ago. Again, my apologies.
No apologies necessary. I think people sometimes forget that a site owner has his/her own vision regarding the site's content. Moderators are here merely to help guide it in that direction.