Moving from Treo/Sprint to iPhone - questions!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Hi folks... Thinking about making the switch and have some last minute questions:

1. The wife and I are on a family plan with Sprint. She will NOT be getting an iPhone; is there a family plan that allows the iPhone and a non-iphone? It seems like the iPhone has it's own plan from what I am reading. The AT&T online representatives were no help.

2. I have a number of meetings that occur on the xth y-day of the month. For example, the 3rd Thursday of each month. My Treo will allow me to schedule these, as will Outlook. I can't seem to figure out how to do it on the iPhone. Anyone find a way? Also, if you have that set on an event in Outlook, what happens when it syncs?

3. Is there any way to import contacts/notes/etc from Palm Desktop, say upon iTunes installation?

4. Does the iPhone have - or has anyone seen elsewhere - an application that acts like a stopwatch with multiple (at least 4) lap timers?

5. Any advice regarding porting Sprint numbers to AT&T?

6. Given that I plan to also get a non-iphone for the wife, would you suggest doing everything at an AT&T store?

7. Any other words of wisdom from those who made this leap would be appreciated.

(EDIT) Some more questions sprung to mind:

8. I love love love the PDF display on the iPhone. Can I store a number of PDFs on the iPhone that I can reference? (when in Airplane Mode, say - not online)

9. Can a Web 2.0 app be added to the main screen? There's one I will use a lot and would like to add it to the main screen instead of merely a bookmark in Safari.

- Joe

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
1) I'm pretty sure you can add a line to an iPhone plan just like any other phone. It's not explained very well on the website...

2) Sorry, i don't know.

3) iPhone will only sync with Outlook or Outlook Express.

4) Yes, in the "clock" app there is a great stopwatch feature that will do a (seemingly) unlimited amount of laps. Clock also has Alarms, World Clock, and Timer.

5) Sorry, don't know.

6) Yeah, that makes sense. The Apple store is more fun, though.

7) I was on cingular before, so i guess my advice would be that AT&T isn't as bad as some people make them out to be... at least not in my experience. I get good coverage, and EDGE is... tolerable.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Hi Joe! This is just my opinion, but coming off of a Treo, you will find that things which were of normal use cant be done on the iphone- out the box.

Personally, I find the iPhone to be more of a fun phone and not something I'd use for businesss needs. Also, in case you didn't know, any company discounts you had with Sprint cannot be gotten with the iPhone. Apple doesn't allow for any type of discounts to apply when using an iPhone.

Before making the leap from Sprint to AT&T, find out ALL your options. I'd hate for you to feel like you got screwed because of things you weren't made aware of before your switch.

The answers Acos gave you are pretty straight-forward for minimal needs. Anything deeper than that may require 3rd party apps.

Have fun with your iPhone.

Hi folks... Thinking about making the switch and have some last minute questions:

1. The wife and I are on a family plan with Sprint. She will NOT be getting an iPhone; is there a family plan that allows the iPhone and a non-iphone? It seems like the iPhone has it's own plan from what I am reading. The AT&T online representatives were no help.

2. I have a number of meetings that occur on the xth y-day of the month. For example, the 3rd Thursday of each month. My Treo will allow me to schedule these, as will Outlook. I can't seem to figure out how to do it on the iPhone. Anyone find a way? Also, if you have that set on an event in Outlook, what happens when it syncs?

3. Is there any way to import contacts/notes/etc from Palm Desktop, say upon iTunes installation?

4. Does the iPhone have - or has anyone seen elsewhere - an application that acts like a stopwatch with multiple (at least 4) lap timers?

6. Given that I plan to also get a non-iphone for the wife, would you suggest doing everything at an AT&T store?

7. Any other words of wisdom from those who made this leap would be appreciated.

- Joe

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Hi Joe! This is just my opinion, but coming off of a Treo, you will find that things which were of normal use cant be done on the iphone- out the box.
I've pretty much investigated everything I need for businesss and would want on the Treo and have found (or am asking here about) suitable replacements.

Personally, I find the iPhone to be more of a fun phone and not something I'd use for businesss needs. Also, in case you didn't know, any company discounts you had with Sprint cannot be gotten with the iPhone. Apple doesn't allow for any type of discounts to apply when using an iPhone.
No worries here as I've always had a personal account with Sprint, even when the bill was being reimbursed by the job. 9 years - they won't be happy to lose me, I think.

Before making the leap from Sprint to AT&T, find out ALL your options. I'd hate for you to feel like you got screwed because of things you weren't made aware of before your switch.
I'm not sure what you're driving at here - plan-wise? Other phone-wise? AT&T plan-wise?

Have fun with your iPhone.

I just may be doing that later today - thanks!

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS

(EDIT) Some more questions sprung to mind:

8. I love love love the PDF display on the iPhone. Can I store a number of PDFs on the iPhone that I can reference? (when in Airplane Mode, say - not online)

9. Can a Web 2.0 app be added to the main screen? There's one I will use a lot and would like to add it to the main screen instead of merely a bookmark in Safari.

- Joe
1. Yes, the family plan can include the iPhone, you just have to add the extra $20 for the iPhone data plan.
2. You can not do this on the iPhone, however if you set it up in Outlook it will sync over the iPhone correctly. It's a bit annoying you can't do it directly on the phone itself, but doing it in outlook works just fine.
3. Not directly upon the install of iTunes. IIRC however you can export your contacts from the palm desktop and import them in to Outlook. Then they will sync to your iPhone from Outlook.
4. There is a stopwatch application if you jailbreak your phone in installer.
5. Not really.
6. You have to buy the device at the AT&T store anyway. However you still have to go home through iTunes and activate the phone and select the account you want to be on. I don't believe they can do that part in the store.
7. Wisdom from this group... haha
8. If you have your phone jailbroken, there is a PDF application you can install which will view PDF's you have saved on your phone. Otherwise if you email the PDF's to yourself you can view them that way.
9. I think there is a way but I can't remember off the top of my head.

scott99

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Great Neck, NYC
Hey Joe. I made the switch from Sprint Palm Treo 700p (a great PDA/Phone, with many bugs) to the AT&T iPhone. I've never been happier, I absolutely love my iPhone. Hopefully you'll be just as happy. I assume I'm a different kind of user than you are though, I'm not a businesss user, I just use my iPhone for email, internet and iPod. The same was true with my Treo, I just used it for email and internet. Oddly enough, people have claimed that Sprint has better overall phone service (and reception), but I've had better reception with my AT&T iPhone than my Sprint Treo. I guess it all depends on the area. As far as family plans, the smart thing to do is get a free phone, and then ADD the iPhone.

Nov 4, 2007
I have a treo 755p and an iPhone. If the iPhone had the search feature and copy and past e feature of the palm, then it could easily take over. Plus, the palm does a better job of keeping every appointment I have ever had (essential for me as I am a trial attorney with numerous court appearances). It seems that spotlight is inevitable on the iPhone, but copy and paste seems to be the difficult item to get to the iPhone. No matter what, the iPhone is the coolest phone I have ever owned. Plus, I like having a private cell phone away from my office. Plus, if you have wifi, e-mail is great, if you don't and use pop e-mail like I do, sometimes there are errors downloading the full e-mails from the server. Additionally, you cannot edit documents, that I am sure with the SDK being released, something will be fixed about that. You cannot really edit documents on the Blackberry without the use of a $180.00 program. The Palm has an office suite built in for free (although I hardly use it) with Documents to Go. I find the Documents to Go is far superior to the Windows Mobile Office.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
joe,

what are your initial thoughts of the iPhone? i use my iPhone for personal use and a blackberry for businesss. i must admit i love my iPhone:cool:
Wendy,

So far, it's pretty much a lovefest. I had some inital issues (couldn't figure out how to sync stuff to the phone, a cool guy at the Apple store got me smacked in the proper spot on my head - it's syncing 1100 tunes now; and Edge went away for 15-20 minutes before I went into and out of airplane mode), but I'm sorting them all out. The predictive text works VERY well thus far - I'm quite pleased with it.

OK... So as far as Treo to iPhone goes:

1. Bluetooth works. Let me say that again: Bluetooth works. When I am in the car, I get a CHOICE of the BT headset or the handsfree in the car. I don't have to re-connect the headset after every call. I can make a call within 3 miles of 802.11b/g and not feel like my head is in a bowl of Rice Krispies. I haven't tried it for distance yet, but I'm so happy because it FUCKING works. If you haven't had a Treo, excuse the profanity. If you've had one, well, you know. Next I will try the laser BT keyboard that I was using on the Treo.

2. Web browsing is so much nicer that I forgive Edge it's comparative pokiness. While 3G would be nice, and I am sure I will upgrade when it is available, I don't find the speeds that much slower than EVDO and the experience is light-years better.

3. Handling of incoming calls and call waiting is much better than the Treo.

4. PDFs are handled VERY nicely. The fact that I can't dump a bunch of PDFs on it and pull them up whenever I want isn't so nice. I have a bunch of manuals and white papers that I want to have on-hand to refer to and can't. I could email them to myself as many have suggested, but we're talking a LOT of them - perhaps 50 - which makes that option much less attractive.

5. I can actually use the iPhone much better one-handed than I could the Treo - and I attribute this to the fact that I don't have to physically push in the keys on the keyboard with the iPhone - an action that is tough to counteract without dropping it. The thinner form factor of the iPhone means that I can reach further across the face.

6. No SSH or IRC clients on the iPhone. I don't use them every day, but when I need them, I need them.

7. Come to that, no VNC client. I use one every so often. I have to believe it would rock on the iPhone.

8. I can't enter recurring events in the calendar (as I mentioned earlier) on the 3rd Thursday of each month, for example. That stings a little.

9. No GPS Nav solution - which means I have to drag along a standalone GPS. This is offset by the fact that I can leave my Archos home since the iPhone can play video/MP3s. In fact, I can sell the Archos. :)

10. There are little apps for PalmOS that I will miss - Directory Assistance, for one. Google, Goog-411, and Google Maps will help a bit with that pain, and maybe there's a Web 2.0 app out there that I'm not aware of. Could use one for flight status as well.

11. Ultimate Bet for iPhone? I'm just saying'......

12. I don't edit docs much on the road, so losing that capability doesn't terribly affect me. I wonder how Google's online versions would work; although I have no idea how I'd get a spreadsheet I was emailed up to Google to work on.

13. Happiness is never having to dial ##ERR.

14. Would it have been that hard to include a battery percentage meter as well as the full-empty battery style?

15. Looking through my Treo, it's amazing how many apps I never used, won't miss, and in some cases cannot identify without running.

16. If someone sends me a .zip file, I'm hosed.

17. Oddly enough, the iPhone mounts as a removable hard disk in Windows Vista, allowing you to see the photos you've taken - but that's all. Plus, it's read-only, so you still have to go through iTunes to put photos on. Boo!

18. It's amazing how dirty the screen gets in a short amount of time. Eyeglass cleaner and a microfiber cloth works wonders; wiping on the t-shirt is largely ineffective.

19. Cases I didn't like at the AT&T store: $30.00 and up. Cases I didn't like at the Apple store: $30.00 and up. Perfect case from a cell phone accessories kiosk in the middle of the mall? $20.00. :D

20. Do people get so into their MP3s that they really need $100.00 headphones that can't even work for phone calls? I mean, come ON.

21. Headset jack is recessed. Can't use standard headphones without an adapter. I thought only Palm was that stupid.

22. Thus far, AT&T doesn't suck. Porting two Sprint numbers was cake - my wife's phone (Samsung) was fully working (inbound and outbound) before I got home, and mine was the same 10 minutes into activation. No panicked calls from Sprint yet, and I couldn't get them on the phone to cancel formally. Maybe tonight.

23. On the other hand, AT&T charges an activation fee PER LINE, and wouldn't waive it. To their credit (and mine, come to it) they gave me a free charger for the wife's phone and a $20.00 service credit. Sprint, I am confident, would have waived any fees, gave me service credits and accessories, and offered to walk my dog (and buy me one if I was lacking) to get me to come over to them from AT&T after 9 years as a loyal customer. In fact, I fully expect such gymnastics when they make their appeal to stay with them.

24. $1.99 per TV show on iTunes? Can anyone say, "Convert from TiVo"? I knew you could.

25. The first company to make a car charger with a COILED CORD will earn my businesss instantly.

26. Safari can't display animated GIFs? I mean, come on. Fortunately, I can get my weather radar from a brilliant Web 2.0 app (iweathr.com), otherwise I might not have made the purchase.

I'll add more as time goes on if anyone finds this helpful.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
hey hope that the switch goes well, i love the iPhone and enjoy it all the time, there is one thing that bothered me for a long time, with my treo i was able to work on and edit word documents and powerpoint stuff, i cannot do that with the iPhone, other then that i really enjoy the iPhone, good luck and enjoy!

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
All of the issues you had with programs, for example loading up the PDF's and viewing them, can be solved by jailbreaking the phone and adding third party apps. There is a PDF view which works absolutely awesome. I use it all the time. There are also a ton of third party apps which will enable a lot of what you wanted (except the GPS, still nothing for that).

As for the coiled car charger, DLO makes one. I picked it up from Best Buy a couple month ago. Make sure to get the one specifically for the iPhone as I don't know if the iPod one's work.

Welcome to the wonderful life of being an iPhone owner.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
All of the issues you had with programs, for example loading up the PDF's and viewing them, can be solved by jailbreaking the phone and adding third party apps. There is a PDF view which works absolutely awesome. I use it all the time. There are also a ton of third party apps which will enable a lot of what you wanted (except the GPS, still nothing for that).

As for the coiled car charger, DLO makes one. I picked it up from Best Buy a couple month ago. Make sure to get the one specifically for the iPhone as I don't know if the iPod one's work.

Yes make sure Charger is the 5V version for the iPhone.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
I'm resisting jailbreaking until I get a better handle for how the phone works without it. Plus, I'm reasonably optimistic that the SDK will yield solutions - but I may revisit jailbreaking if that does not come to pass.

That being said, I found a Web 2.0 site that stores PDFs in an online account. It's not perfect - a 103 page PDF will have my fingers swiping like little hampster feet (and does anyone know how to scroll through a large document without swipe-swipe-swipe-swipe-swipe-swipe-swipe?), but it will suffice for now.

OOOH! OOOH! OOOH! BEST BUY RUN!

Thanks... Now that I have something of a handle on iTunes, this might work out. :) Is it possible to play iPod audio through a BT headset? That would ROCK, mono and one-ear though it might be.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
JoeT: congrats on your purchase! you'll love the iPhone. my treo eventually drove me insane, and my iPhone is a pleasure to use in comparison (i did a comparison review between the two on my site). you won't regret it!

So far so good, and thanks for all the encouragement! Just converted a few videos; I'll see how they play as I run out to BB. :)