Moving.. Goodbye Boston.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Once again (5th time) my dad has been transferred. This time to Charleston, WV. We've been packing over the past few days, and we're leaving tomorrow. I have nothing against the city; and from what I can tell by pictures, we have a very nice house on a very nice street. But here's the downside; Charleston has - no wait. West Virginia does not have one Apple Store nor does it have any 3G coverage. I suppose I'll get the 3G iPhone anyway, but it still bugs me. Anyway, I'll post some pictures when we get there.

- John

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
hey john, have fun exploring your new home. Maybe, with a little luck, you'll find that Edge is quite satisfactory in the new city as opposed to some mega opolis like Boston.... Its just fine hear in savannah (technically Hilton head at the moment). Good luck.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Good luck with your move. Boston is a very cool city, so it's tough to compare. I'm not very fond of their sports teams, but still a nice place. Not very familiar with WV, but I'm sure you'll like it.

Having just moved, I do feel your pain.

-Chris

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Once again (5th time) my dad has been transferred. This time to Charleston, WV. We've been packing over the past few days, and we're leaving tomorrow. I have nothing against the city; and from what I can tell by pictures, we have a very nice house on a very nice street. But here's the downside; Charleston has - no wait. West Virginia does not have one Apple Store nor does it have any 3G coverage. I suppose I'll get the 3G iPhone anyway, but it still bugs me. Anyway, I'll post some pictures when we get there.

- John
On the other hand, you'll be a lot closer to Napoleon and I. :)

There are Apple Stores in the DC area. ;)

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com

- John
Hello Sir,
Why are you moving with your dad?
Good Day

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Good luck with your move. Boston is a very cool city, so it's tough to compare. I'm not very fond of their sports teams, but still a nice place. Not very familiar with WV, but I'm sure you'll like it.

Having just moved, I do feel your pain.

-Chris
Hey now Chris, there's nothing wrong with Boston's sports team, don't go there now (just kidding, go Red Sox):laugh2:

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
John, do you get to live somewhere else while you're going to school or do you have to live at home? Maybe there will be Apple store near school.

p.s. I have been to WV, it's beautiful there!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Dang John sorry to hear that. WV is very beautiful though so I'm sure you're going to be taking a ton more pics. That really is unfortunate that it has no 3G coverage however AND no Apple store, that's really cruddy.

I'm sure you'll grow to love it though. How long have you been in Boston?

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
John,

Being from Boston, I understand you reticence to leave.
Having left Boston, I understand that there are MANY beautiful places other than Boston.

I have worked in Charleston.
It is a city situated in a gorgeous area, with a lot of history of its own.
You are close to the Allegheny Mountains, and there are numerous areas within 30 minutes of Charleston that have scenery like which you have never encountered.

Drive to Hamilin WV, home of Chuck Yeager, (another hero of mine) you will see OLD West Virginia.
You lived in Boston, but there is a lot to see in the US, if you care to find it.

You are 30 minutes from 2 states that are unlike Massachusetts.

Drive there, learn new places.
I think you will enjoy it.

I don't know if you are a sports fan, but there is a minor league baseball team and a minor league hockey team.
Go to a game, you will enjoy it more than you realize.

Good Travels, Sir

Dana

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
what? you're leaving boston before we've even gotten a chance to meet? :D have a safe and trouble-free move, and enjoy not having snowstorms in the winter! :)

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Well, we finished packing earlier than expected, so we're on the road now. I checked the AT&T coverage map, and while Charleston most certainly does not have any 3G coverage, it's covered in EDGE, so I'm good there. There are also rumors of 3G coming to the area, but I'll most likely be gone by then.

My parents want to drive through the night (plenty of coffee in the car) but I'm not sure we'll be able to. It's about a 13 hour drive.

Off to the User CP to change my location.

- John

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I understand. Moving is hard. I moved about every 3 years as a kid when my dad got transferred. Did you already have graduation? Will you have 3G when you start @ Notre Dame this fall?

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
I understand. Moving is hard. I moved about every 3 years as a kid when my dad got transferred. Did you already have graduation? Will you have 3G when you start @ Notre Dame this fall?
Hello Sir,
Graduation... Is John in highschool?
and he is a Moderator
wow
Good Day

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I cried when I left Boston. But that was more due to college-is-over, end-of-an-era blues. You'll be fine.

It's not like the EIC is moving.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Yes, graduation was last week. No 3G at Notre Dame, either. Oh well.

Boston:

Charleston:
Charleston.jpg

Notre Dame's campus:

Notre Dame.jpg

(Blue means 3G, orange means EDGE)

We're about two hours from Charleston. Now for the fun part of unpacking..

- John

Last edited by a moderator:

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
It looks absolutely beautiful! I just have to have trees, and it looks like you've got plenty! :laugh2:

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
New place looks lovely John.
We moved a fair bit when I was young / living with my Dad as well - best thing about it is discovering new places / people / foods / culture once you start to get over some natural 'homesick' feelings.
Hopefully both Notre Dame and Wva will be getting some 3G love soon - I keep reading how AT&T is blanketing the US with it.
Hope the new place - and college - treat you real well ...