Moving iTunes songs from my girlfriend's computer to mine.. will it work?

DMcGrew

Bronze
May 30, 2007
If I take some iTunes songs from my girlfriend's computer, which were bought with her account, and put them on my computer will I be able to play them? Will I also be able to put them on to my iPhone?

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
If I take some iTunes songs from my girlfriend's computer, which were bought with her account, and put them on my computer will I be able to play them? Will I also be able to put them on to my iPhone?

Nope,.. at least it doesn't work going from my Wife's to mine. However you can use a Converter. Change them to MP3 and then load them into yours.

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
Burn to CD and then import.

If you try to just move the files over it won't work. Create a playlist on your girlfriends machine of the songs you want and then burn it to an Audio CD in iTunes. Take the CD and rip them into your computer. Your limited to 10 or 12 songs at a time, however many you can cram onto a CD but it works.

- SR

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
I moved a couple of tv shows that i downloaded to my computer to my roommates computer to sync back when my computer wasn't registering the iPhone.

I basically copied the file onto a flash drive and then copied it off that onto the hard drive of my roommates computer. When I went to play it, it said that it wasn't authorized to play on that computer but prompted me to log into iTunes store. Then it said that it would work and that i've authorized that file to be used on 2 machines out of a possible 5. I imagine it would work the same with music files.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I moved a couple of tv shows that i downloaded to my computer to my roommates computer to sync back when my computer wasn't registering the iPhone.

I basically copied the file onto a flash drive and then copied it off that onto the hard drive of my roommates computer. When I went to play it, it said that it wasn't authorized to play on that computer but prompted me to log into iTunes store. Then it said that it would work and that i've authorized that file to be used on 2 machines out of a possible 5. I imagine it would work the same with music files.

That's the way my Movies and TV shows did too..., and all my wife's MP3's which were transfered in via Copy and Paste. However the songs you purchased from I-tunes are in a different format. They will not work on your i-Tunes. You can use a Mp3 Converter, convert them to Mp3, copy them into I-tunes and it will import them. That's the only way around songs purchased from i-Tunes.

DMcGrew

Bronze
May 30, 2007
I just had my gf send me a song she bought on iTunes. I imported it to my library when I went to play it it asked me for her account password. I put in the pw and it said the song is authorized on 2 of 5 machines. That was easier than I expected :)

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com
I just had my gf send me a song she bought on iTunes. I imported it to my library when I went to play it it asked me for her account password. I put in the pw and it said the song is authorized on 2 of 5 machines. That was easier than I expected :)
Exactamundo - all iTunes songs can be licensed on up to 5 machines simultaneously

No need for CD's ripping, etc etc - as long as you have the original users password.

Unless of course you're trying to do it illegally!