Moving to Canada, any advice?

UseMeUp

Aug 4, 2008
NC
I have the 3g with AT&T....would my best option be to break my contract and sale the phone...and get a new iPhone on Rogers? I'm pretty sure I can't use my iPhone purchased here could be used by Rogers but I'm not sure. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
If you already have a 3G and you go to Rogers for a contract, I'm pretty sure they will be able to give you a SIM no problem. I don't think you'd need to buy a new iPhone.

Someone will surely correct me if I'm mistaken.

icecreamman2

Bronze
Jul 23, 2008
san francisco/vancouver
even if he got the sim it would still be locked to AT&T wouldn't it? if it were me i would just sell the phone for a good price ( you could get 300$ easy ) then go to canada start fresh on rogers or fido w/e and you get a new iPhone... plus, you will make some extra cash... just my two cents..

UseMeUp

Aug 4, 2008
NC
even if he got the sim it would still be locked to AT&T wouldn't it? if it were me i would just sell the phone for a good price ( you could get 300$ easy ) then go to canada start fresh on rogers or fido w/e and you get a new iPhone... plus, you will make some extra cash... just my two cents..
It's $225 to terminate my contract, and it's a 3 year term in Canada. That's what I intended to do...but I was just making sure or seeing if anyone had any experience in this situation. The plans on Rogers are really weak.

icecreamman2

Bronze
Jul 23, 2008
san francisco/vancouver
ya they are... i got lucky... had a really cheap plan... upgraded to iPhone 3g then added data to my plan, i pay barely nothing a month.. haha. unless, you want to just terminate the contract and unlock your phone....

jdinner

Bronze
Dec 14, 2008
UseMeUp, "moving to Canada, any advice?"
Learn to snowboard! Learn to live in the best country in the world!

My Fido contract is 1 gig data, unlimited text, unlimited incoming calls, 500 outgoing minutes, $200.00 initial fee and $80.00 per month.

I was with Telus on a crappy motorola w385 and paying $150.00 per month without ever using a 3G service or the internet. Telus had been sucking me dry for over ten years.
I bought my first cell phone for $2450.00 back in 1988. I have never had a smaller phone bill than with the iPhone and I have way more features.

I suggest Fido - easier to understand their plan and very pleasant to deal with...even on the phone!

Good Luck, you will love it in Canada. BTW, where are you moving to?

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
UseMeUp, "moving to Canada, any advice?"
Learn to snowboard! Learn live in the best country in the world!
Do they have that kinda word structure in Canada? "Learn live in the..." WTF? Take a poll, you'll find out where the 'best country' is. Right here in the USA.

jdinner

Bronze
Dec 14, 2008
I don't need to do a poll, it has already been done.

"For the sixth year in a row, Canada ranks first among 175 countries
in the United Nation's quality of life survey. The Human Development
Index (HDI) examines the health, education and wealth of each nation's
citizens by measuring:

life expectancy;

educational achievement -- adult literacy plus combined primary,
secondary and tertiary enrolment;

standard of living -- real GDP per capita based on PPP exchange rates.

Canada has the best educated people and the highest literacy rate in
the world. Canadians live longer than anyone on the planet, except
people in Japan and Iceland."

The United Stated ranks third, after Norway.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Yeah, think about it. USA is the youngest country in the world, yet we are the richest, most prosperous, most technologically advanced, the most hated yet the most popular. I could be wrong on any of these points, but I don't think so.

UseMeUp

Aug 4, 2008
NC
sooo......(whistles)....about that iPhone working in Canada.....:cool: