Moving wallpaper respository

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by richardya, Jul 12, 2013.

1. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

What is the deal with the new dynamic wallpaper? Can anyone make them or will there only be Apple ones to choose from?

2. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

Nobody knows yet... I'm sure there will be more once the phone launches or maybe they'll force you to buy them in the app store, the details are few on these new dynamic wallpapers... I really hope you'll be able to make your own personally.

3. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

You won't be able to make your own, since they're not simple looping videos - they respond to the accelerometer (hence "dynamic").

4. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

We meant developers could develop them with some sort of SDK. (Although, I don't think Apple played nicely with non-itunes ring tones for awhile)

5. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Garageband has always been able to make iPhone ringtones.

6. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

That is a purchased Apple app. I meant 3rd party companies.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's been free on Macs for years, so I wouldn't say Apple wasn't playing nicely.

8. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

On PC, there used to be many 3rd party apps and websites, to take your own purchased music, strip the DRM, cut it into a ringtone, convert it to the proper format for ringtones , and then sync it. Maybe it was easier for people with macs. I don't know if it was a money grab or bad programming. The whole concept of charging .99 for a song and whatever it was for a ringtone, bothered me.You buy a song you should get the ringtone.

To this day, one of the only things I love about iTunes is how its treats purchasing seasons/albums when you have purchased individual tracks/episodes from that collection in the past. When you buy an episode it lowers the future cost of the album. They did not have to do that. It's very considerate to their customers.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I used to use a free program called iRinger to make ringtones on my PC years ago before I had a Mac. It was simple to use and worked great. I haven't ever paid for any ringtones or programs to make them. I've also used iTunes to make them, though that process is a little tedious compared to the ringtone programs.

10. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

There were a bunch of programs. Some were not free and many were malware downloads, some required an email account. I am sure some were good but any time you need a third party program to cut your purchased music into a ringtone you are not making it easy on the average user. I just thought it was unfair that if I bought the song "call me maybe" I had to either buy the "call me maybe" ringtone or know how to use a 3rd party program.
    My hope is that dynamic wallpaper is not just a new category in the app store that is closed to developers.

11. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

Dynamic can mean pretty much anything other than "static" backgrounds... I was talking about developers mainly, however it wouldn't be too hard to code a program that you input a few images into and adjust some sliders and leave the rest up to the program to spit out a "dynamic" background.

12. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I disagree. "Dynamic" implies the background reacts to some stimulus, whether it's the accelerometer or possibly something else.

As for "coding" a background... what you're talking about just sounds like a screensaver, which is not really what these dynamic backgrounds are like.

13. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

lol ok in other words not static....

I know exactly what dynamic backgrounds are like, sorry I didn't think I needed to spell it out for you but here...

You could hypothetically have a program or tool in xcode to create "dynamic" backgrounds. here's how it would work
    I have a simple background image like say a light blue to dark blue gradient, then I can have a "shape generator" to generate circles, squares, hearts or whatever as well as the option to input your own custom .png. you could also have sliders that would adjust say the speed or force of gravity or transparency (of the generated shapes or images ) or whatever parameters you could think of really. So all of the info from the sliders would be injected into some pre-built code (Dynamic wallpaper api) and BAM! it craps out a dynamic wallpaper.

14. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

What I was trying to say was just because something "moves" (like a screensaver of looping video) doesn't make it "dynamic".

What's your point? That Apple will give this tool to end-users?

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

True. I'm a dynamic individual, but I hardly ever move...

16. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

You might want to go look up the definition of dynamic...

Never once did I say the end user, I originally said we, meaning the developers that have access to the Betas and the IDE already. NOT saying they will here, but you could eventually make it such an easy process that the end user MIGHT get something along those lines...

17. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I know the definition, thanks. To put it another way, there's more to the word "dynamic" than simply "moving". things that are dynamic react, evolve, change *with* other stimuli. a simple looping video would not be that. if you disagree, put forth your argument instead of just saying I don't know what I'm talking about.

18. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

One of the many many definitions of dynamic is:
    Now the first definition asks you to compare static, o.k.... :

hmmm interesting seems to mean exactly what I said, but lets go a bit further and incorporate the third definition as well...

Characterized by continuous change or activity.
    do I even need to explain any further?

#18 reas0n, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  19. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Where did you get that definition?

This is what the online Oxford English Dictionary says:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/english/dynamic

Nowhere is it simplified to "motion". You are likely looking at a severely abridged online dictionary.

In any case, semantic debates are tiresome. Go on thinking whatever you like.

#19 acosmichippo, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  20. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

Dictionary.com somewheres down the page ;)

but it seems you've provided me with a better definition FROM OXFORD!

So on an iPhone dynamic backgrounds would be considered a process running on the device, no? That was rhetorical since obviously that's correct. Now that background is constantly being looped by some outside "stimulus", no? Rhetorical again, obviously the device is told by the background "hey iDevice I need to repeat forever" and the phone is the one to do the actual looping. So there is an activity constantly being performed on the background. It may not be by the force of gravity or whatever you think HAS to be the only thing to cause dynamic behavior, but like you said there's more to the word dynamic, it in itself is a pretty dare I say dynamic word...