MP4 on iPhone

lucror

Nov 16, 2007
Hi,

I see more and more websites advertising that they have MP4 videos available for viewing on the iPhone. On clicking these videos Safari seems to have a go at downloading it - I get the Quicktime logo on the screen, then a few seconds later I get a circle with a line through it, with a triangle in the centre.

What does this mean, it just seems to sit there after this not doing anything, the icon seems to indicate that the movie cannot be downloaded.

Cheers, Mark.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
might not be encoded correctly to what the iPhone can use. In other words, could be either a newer version of Quicktime or a much older version, or the compression is beyond what the iPhone can handle.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Hi,

I see more and more websites advertising that they have MP4 videos available for viewing on the iPhone. On clicking these videos Safari seems to have a go at downloading it - I get the Quicktime logo on the screen, then a few seconds later I get a circle with a line through it, with a triangle in the centre.

What does this mean, it just seems to sit there after this not doing anything, the icon seems to indicate that the movie cannot be downloaded.

Cheers, Mark.
Have you pushed the triangle. When it does that to me, i just push the triangle and the movie starts playing

lucror

Nov 16, 2007
Have you pushed the triangle. When it does that to me, i just push the triangle and the movie starts playing
Pushing it doesn't do anything - it's not a triangle like a play button, it's almost like a play button with a big 'No Entry' sign slapped on the front.

lucror

Nov 16, 2007
Just to clear this one up - I think I've solved it. It seems you (or maybe just me) cannot play mp4's from the net using the Edge connection. When I try I just get the symbol described above. Doing the same thing on the same site over Wifi I get the expected Quicktime play icon, clicking it launches the player.

Mark

DisneyEcho

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
disneyecho.emuck.com
Just to clear this one up - I think I've solved it. It seems you (or maybe just me) cannot play mp4's from the net using the Edge connection. When I try I just get the symbol described above. Doing the same thing on the same site over Wifi I get the expected Quicktime play icon, clicking it launches the player.

Mark
Who do we "thank" for this... AT&T?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Totally guessing, but isn't there a "bandwidth requirement" sort of parameter when you encode a quicktime video that if one's connection isn't sufficient enough, the video just won't load?

Again, talking out my butt here.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
well your butt sounds pretty intuitive.