mp4 won't go into iPhone, already searched.

Krabby

Jan 22, 2009
This is my first post so I would like to say hi to everybody.
Im attempting to load a movie into my iPhone for the very first time. The movie was downloaded in .mp4 format. After much researching I came to realize mp4 is the correct format for the iPhone, unless there're viration of mp4 I don't know why I can't load into the iPhone. I simply drag it from the folder that I saved it in into the phone on iTunes like the way i do with music. But everytime I do it i get the typical "movie wasn't added b/c the movie cannot be played on this iPhone" What I am doing wrong? thanks.

And yes, I did search the foruma it seems like most were having the wrong format.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Apple devices need the extension to be ".m4v" as opposed to ".mp4". You can manually change it, or you can have iTunes convert the whole video (Advanced->Create ipod or iPhone version) which will take a lot longer.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
This is my first post so I would like to say hi to everybody.
Im attempting to load a movie into my iPhone for the very first time. The movie was downloaded in .mp4 format. After much researching I came to realize mp4 is the correct format for the iPhone, unless there're viration of mp4 I don't know why I can't load into the iPhone. I simply drag it from the folder that I saved it in into the phone on iTunes like the way i do with music. But everytime I do it i get the typical "movie wasn't added b/c the movie cannot be played on this iPhone" What I am doing wrong? thanks.

And yes, I did search the foruma it seems like most were having the wrong format.
From Apple, here are the video specs:
Video

• Video formats supported: H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 3.0 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
iTunes will not permit transfer of the video to the iPhone if these specs are not met (e.g., bit rate is too high, high-complexity, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Krabby

Jan 22, 2009
^thank you. I got the movie added to the library, then I went to "advance" then convert it to iPhone format. But after the conversation was done using iTunes, all I get it a white screen even though all the sounds are still there. I upload into the phone and i still got the white screen and sounds. Help?

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
They don't have to be M4V, M4V is the same thing as MP4.

Not every MPEG-4 file could be played. They have to be of the correct codec, resolution, and quality.

You can use Videora (free for Windows) to convert videos to MPEG-4 (with the proper iPod/iPhone codec). It doesn't convert MP4>MP4 though, so you should use something else.

I would use iTunes to convert videos because it is extremely slow.

It is also good to see if the final video file plays fine in iTunes.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
They don't have to be M4V...
theoretically no, but in practice they do have to be m4v. I have never once been able to sync an mp4 with my iPhone or AppleTV, but m4vs never have a problem. and i have on many occasions just changed the extension, and the same file that didn't sync before syncs without an issue after the change.