MSN article: "Apple's iPhone changes game"

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
This is exactly what I was saying in another thread. The whole game with the service providers is market share. Twenty years ago wireless was a growth industry where the game was just to sign people up. Now almost everyone in the US has a mobile phone. The only way to grow is to take customers away from your competitors.

That is the value of the iPhone to ATT. That is what Apple was able to play in all the behind-the-scenes meetings.

Think of it. Verizon pays probably hundreds of millions of dollars every year to continue running their popular "are you there?" ad campaign. And it's working very very well. They are gaining on ATT.

Now ATT has the iPhone and is acquiring new customers for pennies just based on the sheer market force of the Steve Jobs and Apple name.

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
Will? I'd say it already has. Take alook at the recent releases of the top end phones, things like the Nokia N95 and the HTC Touch. You really didn't see anything like those six months ago.

I think the biggest change to the industry is that hopefully the device makers will learn the importance of integrating the software and the hardware. You can make the slickest pieces of hardware in the world but if you slap Symbian or MS Mobile or PalmOS on it then it will suck. Why? Not because the software by itself is bad but because the two weren't built together.

Take a look at the orginal Palm Pilot, software and hardware built together, excellent product. Even the Newton was a great product because of that integration (it failed for other reasons). iPod same thing. Hardware and software working as one.

Take a look at the Blackberry or Blackjack, yeah they are functional and they have sexy hardware but using the OS is like getting a root canal. You do it because you have to. Most people don't realize just how good such integration can be. A lot of Mac/iPod users realize this but most cell phone manufacturers, and as a consequence users, don't.

Cell manufacturers aren't in the software businesss, or at least they don't think they are. They are concerned with moving boxes, the more boxes they move the more money they make. They think that features move boxes so they slap on cameras, bluetooth, mp3, etc, What they really should focus on is the software. I mean take a look at any recent phone, the Sony P990i for example. Sexy, stylish, cool looking piece of hardware but the software tottally sucks ass. Forget about the fact that it crashes (all the time) just look at the icons, looks like fourth grader drew them. And forget about navigating between features, navigation changes depending on what mode the phone is in! Who the F*** designed this and what drugs was he on, (and can I get some)?

There are a few features of the iPhone that will rock (like non-linear voicemail) but the thing that will draw people to it and make them switch will be the software. The look and feel. No one will care about the 2MB camera or the 3hr battery (or whatever it is). What will pull people to the iPhone (beyond the initial rush) will be the software. That is the thing that only Apple, right now, can do. If other manufacturers figure that out, then we will have a horse race.

- SR

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
This is exactly what I was saying in another thread. The whole game with the service providers is market share. Twenty years ago wireless was a growth industry where the game was just to sign people up. Now almost everyone in the US has a mobile phone. The only way to grow is to take customers away from your competitors.

That is the value of the iPhone to ATT. That is what Apple was able to play in all the behind-the-scenes meetings.

Think of it. Verizon pays probably hundreds of millions of dollars every year to continue running their popular "are you there?" ad campaign. And it's working very very well. They are gaining on ATT.

Now ATT has the iPhone and is acquiring new customers for pennies just based on the sheer market force of the Steve Jobs and Apple name.

Very well done! A great thread that speaks to the reality of the industry. The iPhone is going to shake up everything, the carriers, the other mobile phone manufacturers and how mobile phone marketing is done.

This may be very similar to when the Japanese auto makers Honda, and Toyota decided to create the luxury cars Acura, and Lexus. That was a big kick in the ass to BMW and Mercedes. The best thing to happen, as then the Germans were forced to quit riding on their laurels and design better cars at more reasonable prices. The entire luxury segment was improved as a result of the competition that Acura and Lexus provided.

Remain Nameless

Bronze
May 14, 2007
Considering that most people in the U.S. already have cellphones and it's up to the companies to try to "win over" customers from other cell companies hopefully another increasing trend will be to offer competetive pricing when it comes to phone and data plans...

Certainly a free market, and in this area in particular, is beneficial to the consumer...

I hope this ideal will rub off on the marketing/pricing of the iPhone and it's pricing plans :)