Mucked up phone when replacing mobilephone.app

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I was having trouble with a custom dialer, so I reverted back to original dialer and it was screwed up, so I replaced the entire mobilephone.app, which was an old, old one, and now my iPhone locks up when I try to open an app, and the phone icon on the dock is missing. How can I replace the Mobilephone.app and revive my iPhone?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Wow dude you sure do find creative ways to eff up your phone!

Sam? Patrick?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Wow, I haven't got any great thoughts. I've always shied away from dialer apps, just out of concern about the actual phone portion of things remaining solid - but I have installed Photo Dial, Voice Dial, SpringDial - so, guess we all have our own little paranoias.

Anyway, that doesn't help. Maybe check contents of your MobilePhone.app directory versus mine - as mine is currently working - see if there are any files that are missing or show very different sizes etc. Linking to mine in case it helps:
http://www.youshare.com/view.php?file=MobilePhone.zip

Using Youshare following Psylichon's scathing remarks earlier on Rapidshare = good call :)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Youshare isn't great, but.... oh... rapidshare... I almost got it out of my system... grrrr....

:)

If you need any other frames of reference, file-structure-wise, let me know honda... good luck!

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Youshare isn't great, but.... oh... rapidshare... I almost got it out of my system... grrrr....

:)

If you need any other frames of reference, file-structure-wise, let me know honda... good luck!
Well, right now I need an app to access the iPhone through direct connection cause I cant turn on SSH. iBrickr's not doing it, and I need to access the directories!

darklight

Mar 23, 2008
Boston.
crap, I just did it with the latest version--3.0.
And my mail still won't work! What should I do now? Help me Obi-wan, you're my only hope...
lmao.

tell me, do your photos save?

and its probably a permissions issue

darklight

Mar 23, 2008
Boston.
crap, I just did it with the latest version--3.0.
And my mail still won't work! What should I do now? Help me Obi-wan, you're my only hope...
Alright

i suppose there is something that can be done.

Sync your contacts with your computer, and then after that, restore your phone, and set up as a new phone.

Or, if you don't want to restore, we will have to change the permissions on quite a few things.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
arent there fixes in installer for the mail and youtube apps if they don't work properly?
and sorry to go off topic...but why the new account sam?

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
lmao.

tell me, do your photos save?

and its probably a permissions issue
Yeah, my photos are all saved after j/b. I had this mail problem last time, but don't remember the fix. I can't find any mail fix on installer, either.

darklight

Mar 23, 2008
Boston.
Yeah, my photos are all saved after j/b. I had this mail problem last time, but don't remember the fix. I can't find any mail fix on installer, either.
no, try taking a photo.

does it save?

and also,

what about your webclips?

darklight

Mar 23, 2008
Boston.
arent there fixes in installer for the mail and youtube apps if they don't work properly?
and sorry to go off topic...but why the new account sam?
making a reveal at 2,000 on themanofthedark.

im stuck at 1,999, but i refuse to go away from the EIC..

lol

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
no, try taking a photo.

does it save?

and also,

what about your webclips?
The photos saved after taking a pic, but then I realized there is no sound.WTF! I'm gonna restore and set up as new phone after a bit, thanks for helping though! I'm gonna relax and watch August Rush with the wife.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
The photos saved after taking a pic, but then I realized there is no sound.WTF! I'm gonna restore and set up as new phone after a bit, thanks for helping though! I'm gonna relax and watch August Rush with the wife.
cant you save all your apps from installer to your comp and then after you restore through iTunes you can put them back on the phone? im pretty sure iv heard of that being done.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
cant you save all your apps from installer to your comp and then after you restore through iTunes you can put them back on the phone? im pretty sure iv heard of that being done.
Never heard of that, but it's too late, I've restored and set up as a new phone. What is the recommendation for jailbreaking, since ziPhone is frowned upon? I'm on a mac, BTW. Darklight, help me out here!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
ziPhone is cool as long as you're starting as a "new device" which it sounds like you did. You're a fresh 1.1.4 so the latest ziPhone should work fine for you.

And no, there's no way to restore your apps from a fresh restore/jailbreak without individually reinstalling apps.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
ziPhone is cool as long as you're starting as a "new device" which it sounds like you did. You're a fresh 1.1.4 so the latest ziPhone should work fine for you.

And no, there's no way to restore your apps from a fresh restore/jailbreak without individually reinstalling apps.
I'm on it----muchas gracias!