Multiple Problems after...

Dec 17, 2007
So last week I ended up under 6 feet of water with my iPhone in my pocket, irrelivent how I got there lol but I did...and got out RIGHT AWAY. SO after getting out, I tore off my InvisbleShield, popped out the SIM, and then said to hell with it so I opened the bottom black antenna cover. Shook out as much water as I could. Dropped it into a big bowl of rice under a hot light, let that sit for 3 days and then plugged it into the charger,...apple..apple..then FINALLY came to my home screen. There was still water in the screen slightly..but everything was responding and working.

So the next day when I let it dry out more and decide to use it...I put the SIM back in, everything is good...battery is all charged and strong still. I notice that I have no WiFi...so after random tests...I came to the conclusion that I DO get WiFi BUT only when I'm like right next to the router...one room over, forget about it! So who has heard of this problem before...? Solutions?

Another thing I noticed is when 'in standby' for a few minutes and I go to hit the circle home button to wake it, it doesn't respond at all...I hit it as much as I want...no response. I then hit the top wake button once, and nothing still...I now have to hit the wake button TWICE everytime for it to wake up and be responsive.

After it's woken up and being used the home button works fine...then if I lock it and try using the home button RIGHT after..maybe within 30 seconds it will work with either button no problem. So it seems once it hits a certain length in time...(1 min+) it becomes unresponsive unless a text/call comes in or if I hit the Wake button twice.

I've never had any of these problems before the water, and really hope there is something I can do to get these bugs worked out...

Thanks guys!

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
how about getting the person who pushed you in the pool/lake to buy you a new iPhone?

i can't help you, but that sucks. good quick thinking by you though.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Well in case both problems are only software issues and not hardware, you should try restoring just in case. IMO, the home button sounds software. But the Wi-Fi problem seems like it could be damaged physically...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I DO get WiFi BUT only when I'm like right next to the router...one room over, forget about it! So who has heard of this problem before...? Solutions?
I know exactly what the problem is:

So last week I ended up under 6 feet of water with my iPhone in my pocket.....
:p

Seriously, though... you've probably done some real damage to your phone. It miiiiight come back to normal, but the only thing you can do now is pray and dry it out even more. Like, weeks.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
psylichon said:
It miiiiight come back to normal, but the only thing you can do now is pray and dry it out even more. Like, weeks.
He's right. Usually, if you want to get it to the best it can be again after the water mishap, most people wait 2-3 weeks before they even take it out of the rice, or even try turning it on...

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
A Hyperbaric chamber would help by forcing any remaining condensation out with pressure...but i think Michael Jackson bought them all up.
Seriously though, take it back and say it was defective, Apple techs don't seem to be in the mood to argue fault right now...with all the activity going on in their stores. Good luck.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
A Hyperbaric chamber would help by forcing any remaining condensation out with pressure...but i think Michael Jackson bought them all up.
Seriously though, take it back and say it was defective, Apple techs don't seem to be in the mood to argue fault right now...with all the activity going on in their stores. Good luck.
They can still check in the headphone hole. That will probably definitely show some red.

To trueblue: If you want to, you can put a drop of bleach in the headphone hole to make the piece of paper in there turn white, and then take it to Apple and say its defective... ONLY if you want to, as that is cheating their system ;)

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
They can still check in the headphone hole. That will probably definitely show some red.

To trueblue: If you want to, you can put a drop of bleach in the headphone hole to make the piece of paper in there turn white, and then take it to Apple and say its defective... ONLY if you want to, as that is cheating their system ;)
Bleach..good tip..or maybe a tiny drop of white nail polish on the end of a toothpick might do the trick...hopefully the Geniuses don't read the forums :p

Dec 17, 2007
how about getting the person who pushed you in the pool/lake to buy you a new iPhone?

i can't help you, but that sucks. good quick thinking by you though.
Well...Wish I could point the finger of blame to someone but ultimately it was my fault because it wasn't into a pool or lake...it was a quadding accident which also cost me my quad and almost me and my girlfriend. That's besides the point though, were okay...and the quad and phone are only material objects...BUT since I was able to get it dryed up and working I am very grateful...just wish I could cure up the few remaining problems lol.

@ The rest of you guys...Yeah I MAY try a restore...I just dread re-doing EVERYTHING in my phone..all apps, mods etc. Along with my text conversations...So I'm going to try and hold off on that one!
No can do at taking it back...I bought it from a store in the states, but live in Canada...You can tell it's been opened up, has the red dot...and I have no way of getting back to that store haha gas would cost me more then the phone all over! :p (Might as well buy a 3G here;))

Thanks for the good suggestions though...! :)

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
In my opinion, you gave the OP totally bad information. You instructed him/her to lie, steal and cheat. Why should Apple be responsible for replacing a phone, that was damaged by the user? People like you cost companies millions of dollars a year in fraudulent claims. The companies then turn around and pass that cost on, to us honest customers.

The correct response to the OP, should have been. If all else fails, take the phone to Apple, explain what happened and pay the repair, or replacement fee. Honesty goes a lot further than lies. Also, Karma is real, you get what you give, think about that.

To the OP, sorry about your misfortune, but do the right thing. You will sleep and feel better...Mark

P.S. You will not lose all your info, if you do a back up, before restoring your phone. Then after the restore, you will have an option to sync to the back up or restore to a new phone. Choose restore to back up and all your info will be right there....

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Bleach..good tip..or maybe a tiny drop of white nail polish on the end of a toothpick might do the trick...hopefully the Geniuses don't read the forums :p
Could'nt this be a kind of fraud? What if they see that you used nail polish or something else to cover it up? Has anyone done this?

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Could'nt this be a kind of fraud? What if they see that you used nail polish or something else to cover it up? Has anyone done this?
If you hold a belief in polar opposites (right wrong, good bad, heaven hell), then yes it's fraud. But if you see that everything is illusion and all are one, then it is a play with forms ( material and life).
All in how you perceive. :::Toung and cheek:::

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
If you hold a belief in polar opposites (right wrong, good bad, heaven hell), then yes it's fraud. But if you see that everything is illusion and all are one, then it is a play with forms ( material and life).
All in how you perceive.
What an eloquent way to describe yourself, as a liar & a cheat....Mark

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
All in how you perceive.
You sound like the guy from "V for Vendetta" hahah maybe its just me.

Dec 17, 2007
To the OP, sorry about your misfortune, but do the right thing. You will sleep and feel better...Mark

P.S. You will not lose all your info, if you do a back up, before restoring your phone. Then after the restore, you will have an option to sync to the back up or restore to a new phone. Choose restore to back up and all your info will be right there....
Thanks for the heads-up, I figured there was a way to save everything! Does this include JUST your text, music, contacts etc...or does it also save my apps, games, and such? If it doesn't is there a way to do so for these? Haha it'll take me a longgg time to get everything back if I lost it all I'm sure. :p

I would do the right thing though, I don't need to cheat Apple into giving me a new one...I know I messed up and stuff happens right, so just take it and move on, life's too short to dork around. I'd either buy a new one or pay to get it fixed if cheap, or just use it as is...and I guess since I AM in Canada, and don't have access to another 1stGen iPhone store...guess I'm SOL in a way...but oh well :rolleyes:

Thanks again guys! Appreciate the help!

overbo0st2k4

Bronze
Oct 17, 2007
Funny thing...We actually had a discussion about this with the Genii at the Apple store I work at this morning. (Still kind of hard to tell though)

You're only problem with this trick is:

When the NEW iPhone 3G's have water/liquid damage, not only does the inside of the headphone jack turn pink/red, but so do the screws on the bottom!

(OP you never mentioned if this was a 3G iPhone or a V1!?)

Not that I'm endorsing you make a fraudulent claim, if you do decide to, just a little FYI...

Dec 17, 2007
1st Gen phone...so V1 I guess lol...definitely not 3G! It came with umm 1.1.3 I believe...and I upped it to 1.1.4.