Multiple problems all in one day!

jbbuie

Apr 7, 2009
So I have had my iPhone 3g for about a 2 months now. It is unlocked and jailbroken. I had not even had a hint of problems...that is until today. All in one fell swoop my home button does not work, i can only be heard in phone calls when my headset is plugged in, my phone charges a little bit but wont show that it is charging and finally, its not being detected by iTunes. Wow i cant believe all of this is happening. Can anyone provide any assistance?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
It might have been an application you downloaded via Cydia. What have you installed lately? I would suggest trying a soft reset by holding the home and power buttons until the phone restarts. If this doesn't work, you might have to try a full restore in iTunes and re-Jailbreak and unlock the phone.

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
Have to do a restore on it, set it to DFU mode. Power it off, hold the lock and home buttons for 10 seconds, the release lock and just hold home until you get the iTunes logo. iTunes should recognize it and say you need to do a restore. Make sure you have the 2.2 firmware if you want to stay unlocked

binz

Apr 6, 2009
What is DFU mode? Also, does Cydia commonly cause crashes? My phione did as above. Go to Apple.com for trouble shooting and they will walk you through exactly what the above reply is telling you to do plus you'll learn some things. I was having your problem. I held the round button for 6 secs, zip. Again for 10 black screen. Then was told to hold the sleep button (on top right) and the round button at the same time and do not let go until the Apple appears and I was back in biz. I had to reinsert the original sim from AT & T though it was dead and then did it, then once I saw the Apple and then insetrted my cars and was back in biz. Apparently the phone freezes a lot and is a common problem, when stuck in an app, hold round button until it leaves that app. Check out Troubleshooting on the Apple website -a lot of good info there. Good Luck! (Excuse typos....there's no excuse for my typing but I have to ecxuse it!) : )

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
What is DFU mode? Also, does Cydia commonly cause crashes? My phione did as above. Go to Apple.com for trouble shooting and they will walk you through exactly what the above reply is telling you to do plus you'll learn some things. I was having your problem. I held the round button for 6 secs, zip. Again for 10 black screen. Then was told to hold the sleep button (on top right) and the round button at the same time and do not let go until the Apple appears and I was back in biz. I had to reinsert the original sim from AT & T though it was dead and then did it, then once I saw the Apple and then insetrted my cars and was back in biz. Apparently the phone freezes a lot and is a common problem, when stuck in an app, hold round button until it leaves that app. Check out Troubleshooting on the Apple website -a lot of good info there. Good Luck! (Excuse typos....there's no excuse for my typing but I have to ecxuse it!) : )
Excused ;) DFU is Device Firmware Upgrade. It basically forces the phone to accept new firmware. Cydia is an app sort of like App Store, but only available on jailbroken phones. When you jailbreak it, it sometimes becomes unstable and freezes completely, so you have to restore and start from scratch. Not so much Cydia that causes problems, but some of the apps available from there can.

binz

Apr 6, 2009
Thanks Adam- also- I just bought a 2G/4G iPhone, crashed and came back- now I am told that all I can do it use it for my T Mobile sim to make calls and send texts. I thought the reason you get it jail-broken is to be able to do all the extras for free-do I have a $300 $ phone just for calls and text? Also would I be better to remove cydia and down load ZiPhone? is the seller correct about the limitations or am I right about using all the cool stuff? Will I ever get to graduate from the sleep deprivation program? I have been acing it for months now! : ) Hope the "translation via spelling/typing helps yuou or anyone to answer my quesstion. IOf I have to activate it with ATTT the I would have bought a refurb from them and a contract...please let me know what you'd think would be best for me to do. If all I have is an phone for calls and text, my $20 go-phonr eill suffice. It's ashane as the phone is pristine and reurbed. By the way, somtimes I get messages about no service/npooaccount & thr e optiopn to dismiss...do I have an iLemon?!
; ) Thanks!

hitrho5

Bronze
Jun 26, 2008
Florida
u could have too many apps from installer/cydia. maybe u should get rid of some.

Feb 9, 2009
Nah. I'm not jailbroken and my phone did the same thing yesterday. Jailbreaking COULD be responsible, but more likely is something just got corrupted.

ifanphone

Apr 7, 2009
murphy's law?

man that sounds awful - sorry. it's probably murphy's law where bad things just happen in droves.