Multiple SMS sends as an MMS in 3.0!

shillingem

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Greensboro, NC
Has anyone else noticed that when you send a multiple recipient SMS, with 3.0 beta 5 it sends it out as an MMS. I find this frustrating because a lot of the people I send the messages to now have to download the message, instead of just receiving an SMS. Before Beta 5 you had the option to turn off MMS and it worked great. Now that the option is gone it is very frustrating. Anyone else notice this glitch?

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Has anyone else noticed that when you send a multiple recipient SMS, with 3.0 beta 5 it sends it out as an MMS. I find this frustrating because a lot of the people I send the messages to now have to download the message, instead of just receiving an SMS. Before Beta 5 you had the option to turn off MMS and it worked great. Now that the option is gone it is very frustrating. Anyone else notice this glitch?
You know... I did notice that but I didn't think it would actually send it to the recipient as a picture message. I guess... hmmmm... well, yeah... that is a bug, come to think about it. Make sure someone sends that in to Apple.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
If you turn off mms it will send as sms. Seems odd, another thing I would like to see is for it to add the sms to individual conversations instead of having one conversation. I understand it makes it easier to send to the same group of people, but the replies come into the individual conversations and that makes the conversation disjointed.

shillingem

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Greensboro, NC
Thanks Mitchell for the link...you're right I should have looked harder. The thing I noticed is that in Beta 5 you no longer have the option to turn MMS on/off, which makes me think that the problem will be there when they release the final version of 3.0. Thoughts?!?

mitchellm4

Bronze
Jan 21, 2009
Greensboro, NC
hmm...i still have the option to turn mms on and off...maybe try to restore and see if it comes back.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Yep, beta 5 removes mms completely. If you have a messaging plan it will not matter, if you do not....it will make a pretty big difference.

You can test how it is being billed by logging into AT&T and checking your message usage. Just make note of the date and time you send them and check whether they are listed as text messages or mms messages.

shillingem

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Greensboro, NC
I'm upgraded to beta 5 using the old iTunes 8.2 file, uploaded the custom ipcc file and there still isn't an option to toggle MMS.
~E

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
I still have the MMS toggle on beta 5...
I do too, but I have the updated ipcc file. With stock beta 5, it was removed completely.

I just tested the "Group MMS" and included myself in the message and simply based on the time it takes to receive it, compared to a test sms to myself (which is pretty much instant) it is most likely sending as an mms.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Ah - I have the updated ipcc file as well; I guess that explains it.

As an aside, it pays to do a little reading around before rashly installing a new beta, doesn't it? :)

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Pretty sure (actually I'm 100% positive) That there is more than one custom ipcc that enables tethering and mms, some open up more functionality than others and they all show carrier settings as 5.0, so it may or may not explain it. Depends on which custom ipcc file he has.

mitchellm4

Bronze
Jan 21, 2009
Greensboro, NC
hmm
i know that he has the same one as me(we know each other in rl), and everything is fine for me.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Well, just to be sure...he knows it's under settings>messages right?

If he still has the 8.2 release for beta 4...he can use that one and see if it works. That's the one I am using (maybe you too).

Last edited by a moderator:

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Well, just to be sure...he knows it's under settings>messages right?

If he still has the 8.2 release for beta 4...he can use that one and see if it works. That's the one I am using (maybe you too).
^^^that's the one I am using with mms options still visible and still able to send and receive.

Last edited by a moderator:

shillingem

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Greensboro, NC
That is the same file that I am using....and yes I do know that where the MMS functionality is located. Thanks for checking!