Multitasking and backup and....

xman

Bronze
Jun 9, 2008
orlando,fl
I am strongly considering the new 3G. Have been using a sidekick since 2002 and am ready for a change BUT:

1. Is the iPhone multitasking? Can I be writing an email, switch to a web page, go to write a text msg,etc and then go back to the original email and continue from where I was?

2. If I don't elect to purchase "mobileme" what data on my phone can be backed up and how is that done?

3. The notes.... How many notes can be written and what is the total number of characters allowed in each note?

thanks for your help

Paul

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I am strongly considering the new 3G. Have been using a sidekick since 2002 and am ready for a change BUT:

1. Is the iPhone multitasking? Can I be writing an email, switch to a web page, go to write a text msg,etc and then go back to the original email and continue from where I was?
yep. works like a charm. Graphic and internet-heavy apps (maps, safari, etc) will often have to re-download content if you come back to them at a later date, though.

2. If I don't elect to purchase "mobileme" what data on my phone can be backed up and how is that done?
everything is handled through iTunes and is mirrored on your computer. your contacts and calendars are synced to Address Book & iCal (or Outlook, Outlook express, or Windows Mail in windows), media in iTunes, and pictures to iPhoto or wherever else you want to put them. This is done every time you sync your iPhone (just like ipods if you've ever used one). Your iPhone's settings are also saved in iTunes.

all this makes it very easy to restore the software or set up a new iPhone for any reason (like if Apple replaces a defective iPhone under warranty).

3. The notes.... How many notes can be written and what is the total number of characters allowed in each note?
no idea... never reached a max. i just hit random letters for about five minutes, and it kept going... probably got to at least a few thousand characters. The amount of notes is probably only limited to the amount of storage available... which means a ton.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky

thanks for your help

Paul
:eek:

Dude that is wicked old, like are you talking about this one:p Nah, its cool dude my first phone was a sidekick II cause I was a teeny booper watching paris hilton and snoop dogg on those stupid commercials back in 2004:p Thats why I later upgraded to my HTC 8125- the modable, hackable, app friendly phone you could ever have :)

Why havnt you upgraded?

Last edited by a moderator:

xman

Bronze
Jun 9, 2008
orlando,fl
sidekick 2 iPhone

Nice pic of the original...the one I started with...since 2002 I have had every sidekick as they came out including the lx....oh I didn't have the slide.

Anyhow...the iPhone offers so much more at this time.

Do you know if att can port my contacts and notes from my sidekick to the iPhone..sure would be nice...otherwise mucho work for me

thanks```

paul

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
nope. you will have to import them to either outlook (windows) or address book (mac).

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Good Luck Bro!
-Ive had a SideKick II, and a Limited Edition LRG SideKick also :)
-I was also apart of the official sidekick forum (poweredbydanger.com)
-They were mad/sad that I had shown an interest in the iPhone, but we all knew whether wanting to believe it or not that the SideKick was a dying texting device with a dying fanbase and culture :(
+ Plus around that time this phone called the "Helio Ocean" had totally obligerated the SideKick :( The week it launched we lost about 200 forumers :(

iPhone..