Music from iTunes won't sync with my iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by orbitalmovment, Jan 14, 2008.

1. orbitalmovment

orbitalmovment
    Expand Collapse

Jan 13, 2008
    When I go to sync a playlist onto my iPhone, it tells me that I have to much music in that playlist and then nothing happens after that. I remember the first time I put a playlist onto my iPhone it asked if I wanted iTunes to automatically choose a playlist at random from my playlist because it was to large to all fit. I don't have the time to pick through 20gigs worth of music to try and make a playlist on my iPhone.

What happened? It doesn't ask me that now. I've since updated and got the latest version of iTunes and iPhone software. I restored it and still nothing.

Is there a option somewhere that somehow got un-checked? I'm doing this on a PC.

2. Youngbinks

Youngbinks
    Expand Collapse
    Zealot
    Gold

Jun 4, 2007
    That's weird that it's not working for you any longer but here is how to set up a Smart Playlist. It allows you to set up certain parameters for which songs are selected.

Choose File > New Smart Playlist.

To add songs that match specific rules, make sure “Match the following rule” is selected, and then choose options from the pop-up menus. To add more rules, click the Add (+) button.
    Tip: To duplicate a rule, hold down the Shift key while you click Add.

To make the playlist a specific duration or size, select “Limit to” and set options.

To include only songs that have a checkmark next them in your library (and that match your rules), select “Match only checked items.”

To have iTunes continually modify your Smart Playlist as songs are added to or removed from your library, make sure “Live updating” is selected.

To create your Smart Playlist, click OK and then name the playlist.

#2 Youngbinks, Jan 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2013
  3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. lhamlin

lhamlin
    Expand Collapse

Feb 24, 2008
    My iPhone syncs my contacts, calendar and even my downloaded podcasts but no matter what I try it will not sync my music or downloaded TV shows. I have tried everything. Can someone help please?

#3 lhamlin, Feb 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  5. mulligan22

mulligan22
    Expand Collapse

Mar 2, 2008
    Same problem

I have the exact same problem. If anyone has the answer, please let me know. Thanks

6. dturner

dturner
    Expand Collapse
    Zealot
    Gold

Dec 15, 2007
    Have you checked the sync music and all songs and playlist and TV shows boxes in iTunes?

7. mulligan22

mulligan22
    Expand Collapse

Mar 2, 2008
    Playlist is checked

Yes, I checked the playlist and all of the songs have a check mark in them. I phone syncs everything but never gets to music. Just says the sync is finished.:(

8. dturner

dturner
    Expand Collapse
    Zealot
    Gold

Dec 15, 2007
    I figured you did, but it is a common oversight so I thought I would ask. Unless someone else jumps in with an idea, I would delete iTunes and download again. Reboot computer and try another sync.

9. mulligan22

mulligan22
    Expand Collapse

Mar 2, 2008
    I guess I can try that. I did do an upgrade for iTunes before trying the first sync. I will do it and see what happens. It is funny because when I plug my iPhone into my mac iTunes open right away and the other syncs start.

10. Fading

Fading
    Expand Collapse

Nov 24, 2008
    I recently bought a new 8GB iPhone 3g.

Of course the first thing I want to do is put my 4GB of music onto it. I press sync and the contacts sync and it says finished syncing but I have no music on there.

Help?

11. Saverino

Saverino
    Expand Collapse
    Zealot
    Gold

Jun 1, 2008
    Is your music set to sync in the music tab?

12. Fading

Fading
    Expand Collapse

Nov 24, 2008
    Yes. I've tried syncing "all songs and playlists" and individual playlists but no success.

13. chrismmm

chrismmm
    Expand Collapse
    Silver

Dec 27, 2007
    are you signed in? whats the name of your iPhone in iTunes? what are your other settings? there are potentially a dozen things that could be preventing u from synch'ing..
    were you synching before? what version of iTunes u using? whats your version of firmware..?

14. Fading

Fading
    Expand Collapse

Nov 24, 2008
    Yes I am signed into iTunes. The name of my iPhone in iTunes is "My iPhone". I haven't been able to sync at all yet. I'm using version 8 of iTunes and 2.1 firmware.

15. chrismmm

chrismmm
    Expand Collapse
    Silver

Dec 27, 2007
    ok.ok. what tabs do you see and do you have it setup to manage on your own or for iTunes to manage it?

16. Fading

Fading
    Expand Collapse

Nov 24, 2008
    At the moment I have the automatically sync when this iPhone is connected ticked. The rest unticked. I have played around a lot with the tabs and still not succeeded.

17. chrismmm

chrismmm
    Expand Collapse
    Silver

Dec 27, 2007
    un tick that and re-do ...go through each tab and only do the bare minimum first and then build it from there. something is not synching and its screwing the rest of the stuff!

18. Fading

Fading
    Expand Collapse

Nov 24, 2008
    Tried it. It just says syncing in progress then doesn't say anything about the music.

I've tried even just syncing one song onto there and it doesn't work.

19. chrismmm

chrismmm
    Expand Collapse
    Silver

Dec 27, 2007
    ok. lemme think. do u have an iTunes account?

20. Fading

Fading
    Expand Collapse

Nov 24, 2008
    Argh, I figured out the problem.

I didn't previously use iTunes, I used windows media player. When I transfered all my music from one to another the computer wasn't recognising them, but was playing them anyways. I'll have to one by one upload the songs from their original folder and then sync.

Sorry for wasting your time and thanks heaps for all the help.

21. chrismmm

chrismmm
    Expand Collapse
    Silver

Dec 27, 2007
    there is a great utility out there called iTunes library uploader that can do that for you.. google it ..you didn't waste my time brother.. thats what this forum is about ! take care