Music in iPhone, not visible in iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone 3GS' started by Tobi, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Tobi

Tobi New Member

So... I made the biggest mistake of my life several months ago and bought an iPhone... and this is the latest problem...

I have added music to my iPhone via iTunes several months ago and have since attempted to remove that music from my phone to free up some space.

I have removed the Music from iTunes and this music does not show up under the iPhone Tab when my phone is plugged into iTunes but the music is still present on the phone. So I am lost as to how to get rid of it.

I have tried re-adding the albums to iTunes and unticking all the songs and resyncing the phone, but this does not work either. If I leave these albums ticked in iTunes and sync my phone, it adds another copy of that album to the phone... its as if iTunes does not know the music is already on the phone.

Can someone please tell me how to fix this problem besides throwing the phone at a brick wall?

Thanks,

T

#1 Tobi, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2014
  2. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

Try the following:
    1- update your iPhone to the latest OS version
    2- update iTunes to the latest version
    3- when plugged into iTunes make sure all music selections are " UNCHECKED"
    4- Make sure you have iTunes set to sync " ALL MUSIC"
    5- Sync phone with iTunes.
    6- Do not through iPhone into brick wall before you try steps 1-5.

3. Tobi

Tobi New Member

Ha... thanks for the info bud, have tried all of the above, including removing all music from iTunes... still no use.

4. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

Have you tried restoring your iPhone to "as new" and not to backup..?

5. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

On its 5.0 or later, you can swipe to delete right from the phone.

6. Tobi

Tobi New Member

No I havn't, but if I don't restore from back up I lose all y info?

7. Tobi

Tobi New Member

Legend... never knew you could do this with music... don't see why this won't work... will let you know! Thank you!

8. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

LOL! You can also go to settings, general, tap music, then delete it all from the next screen by tapping edit in the top right corner.

9. Tobi

Tobi New Member

Marry me... and you can just fix all my lifes problems... 99% of which relate to bollix Apple related products!

10. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

Thanks, but one marriage was too much for me, it's not a mistake I'll repeat. LOL

I'm also afraid we'd be tremendously incompatible, since I love Apple products! :)

11. Tobi

Tobi New Member

HAHA... well the other 1% of my life issues are also a past marriage too haha (which come to think of it my above quote is probably a little more towards 90% of my life problems).

But I think you are right on the incompatibility thing... I like decent quality cutting edge technology... not a company which gets 4 phones out of technology which was available at the launch of the original product :p...

12. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

ROFL! So, that begs the question.....why did you buy an iPhone?

13. Tobi

Tobi New Member

There in lies a very very good question... I really have no idea.

In my defense, I did get it free on a plan and it was my first real, full on encounter with Apple products till my Uni switched over to using Macs... then my whole world turned upside down... Apple have a habit of making stuff thats aesthetically pleasing, but pain stakingly restrictive... I guess it keeps you believers opening your wallets and upgrading to the latest and greatest huh ;)

14. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

Actually, I'm a recent convert, because I got completely disgusted with the glitchiness of everything else. I prefer to have something I can turn on and just use, rather than having to spend a ton of time to tweak and fix. I disliked rooting my Android phone and having to install custom ROMs in hopes it would work right, same with my computers.

15. Tobi

Tobi New Member

Mac just makes it near impossible you use any device with another if they aint all mac or at least running their OS...

LOL this topic went a wee bit off track :p

16. Globetrotter5K

Globetrotter5K New Member

For anyone having the aforementioned problem in 2014 there was missing in Tobi's solution to this problem.

Go to Settings (on iphone) --> General ---> Usage --> Music --> Edit --> delete (will delete all songs)

You can only pair one itune program with your iphone at a time. I loaded songs from itunes on my older computer then reset my iphone to work with a new computer. The 250 songs from the first transfer (on older computer) do not appear in itunes on new computer so I was not able to delete it via my computer.

17. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

The "Edit" and "Delete" options are not there in settings on the iPhone. Not on iOS 7.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They are there. Check again. Make sure you wait for your apps to load under "Storage." It can take a minute.
    image.jpg

image.jpg

19. Globetrotter5K

Globetrotter5K New Member

I have that version and those are the steps. Thanks for the images Europa!

P.s. I mistakenly deleted the word "info" in my original post but you guys know what I meant lol.

20. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I missed the "Usage" step. I was in Music on the main menu. :rolleyes: