Music question

jasiel

Aug 4, 2008
I am interested in getting the iPhone 3G, but I have a question about the music you can put onto it. I know you can buy and download iTunes songs onto an iPhone 3G with no problems, but I was wondering if you could upload/copy non-itunes songs to the iPhone 3G? If so, could someone please explain how this could be done and if the songs would play the same way as iTunes songs? Thanks for your help in advance!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
It's very easy to import music in multiple formats into iTunes. Once it's there, you can sync it to the iPhone. In iTunes, you import music from the File menu... either "Add file to library" or "Add folder to library". You can even add your own album art. This all displays and plays on the iPhone just like tracks bought from iTunes.

By the way, the 3G is the best phone for music ever. Period.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I am interested in getting the iPhone 3G, but I have a question about the music you can put onto it. I know you can buy and download iTunes songs onto an iPhone 3G with no problems, but I was wondering if you could upload/copy non-itunes songs to the iPhone 3G? If so, could someone please explain how this could be done and if the songs would play the same way as iTunes songs? Thanks for your help in advance!
When you import songs into iTunes. They will be converted to AAC format. There are a number of ways to import songs to iTunes. The easiest way to pull all the songs on your computer or external media, is click consolidate library, found in the File menu of iTunes.

You can also drag music folders to the iTunes widget (Mac) or Desktop Icon (PC). You can also open iTunes and drag songs into the white songlist area, any of these ways will work.

To answer your question, yes they will play on your upcoming 3G iPhone, clear as a bell...Mark

BTW: If you need more info on managing your iTunes library. Check out this Macworld article.. http://www.macworld.com/article/51241/2006/06/julyplaylist.html

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
When you import songs into iTunes. They will be converted to AAC format.
This isn't necessarily true. Import format is dictated by preferences... advanced... importing. And this is all only if you're extracting from a CD. If you import a folder of MP3's to the iTunes library, they remain MP3's.

Now, keep in mind, I elect not to have iTunes copy imported music. I organize it all on an external drive first before importing it into the library.

jasiel

Aug 4, 2008
So if I have an album where the songs are MP3 format and I am not extracting from a CD, I can copy them over the iTunes with no problems as if they were iTunes songs?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
So if I have an album where the songs are MP3 format and I am not extracting from a CD, I can copy them over the iTunes with no problems as if they were iTunes songs?
Correct..........

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Dave can you explain that to me. Every time I have imported native songs from my hard drive to iTunes, they have been converted to AAC? Mark
I believe this is because of two reasons.

1. In Preference/Advanced/General, I'll bet you have the first two options checked? I don't. Like I said, I prefer to manually manage and organize my tracks in my music library before importing them into iTunes. Because in your case, iTunes is copying imported files into your library, the next caveat applies:

2. In Preferences/Advanced/Importing..."Import Using" is set to AAC encoder. There are a number of preferences available. One of them is a pretty good sounding MP3 codec. But I don't think any of these apply if you elect to manage your own library

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Dave I now see what you were talking about in Edit>Preferences>Advanced. I didn't see an option for what format, to choose to save the music file.

Are you saying that you only get this choice if "Ripping" a CD or Saving the music file into the iTunes music folder? As opposed to playing it from it's current location? Mark

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com

1. In Preference/Advanced/General, I'll bet you have the first two options checked? I don't. Like I said, I prefer to manually manage and organize my tracks in my music library before importing them into iTunes. Because in your case, iTunes is copying imported files into your library, the next caveat applies:

2. In Preferences/Advanced/Importing..."Import Using" is set to AAC encoder. There are a number of preferences available. One of them is a pretty good sounding MP3 codec. But I don't think any of these apply if you elect to manage your own library
Wow Dave, thanks for the lesson. I learned something today. Take me to school then...Mark:laugh2:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
No problem. I used to really hate iTunes until I found out about those options. Not many people manage their library the way I do, but I couldn't imagine using it any other way.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
No problem. I used to really hate iTunes until I found out about those options. Not many people manage their library the way I do, but I couldn't imagine using it any other way.
Check out the Macworld link I posted on the previous page. The article touched on exactly what you're saying while explaining all the tricks of managing music in iTunes. Thanks again...Mark

metapin

Aug 11, 2008
to listen music on iPhone is not so easy task :)

Fairy_dust

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
to listen music on iPhone is not so easy task :)
Listening to music is easy, it's the sound quality I don't like on the iPhone. Not nearly as good quality as my N95 unless you use headphones.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California

I was doing a search to solve a problem I was having in importing mp3s to iTunes and then syncing to my 3g and this seem to do it. Thank you.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
That's why I love the internet. It lets you keep helping people without even knowing it :)

Glad you got it sorted, Jerry.

jdinner

Bronze
Dec 14, 2008
If you get the free app "Files lite" from the apps store, you can play MP3's inside this folder. You can transfer the music from a folder on your computer to the phone wirelessly in seconds. When I say seconds it's about 2 seconds to transfer. This works for videos too.
The free app is limited to 200MB inside the folder.

I perfer iTunes but in a real hurry this is an option.