Music Sync Issue on iOS 8.1.2

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by flightmedic, Dec 20, 2014.

1. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

I recently had to restore my iPhone 6+. I also moved my iTunes library back to my MBP from my windows machine.

Now none of my purchased music is syncing to my phone. I've tried restoring again, toggling iTunes Match on and off and signing out and back into my iTunes account.

I cleared all music off and my music app shows empty. If I set it to "show all music" it shows that my purchased songs are there but they will not play and they cannot be downloaded. When i toggle it to off the music doesn't doesn't show in the music app anymore. There is no change in storage usage either.

Anybody have any ideas what's wrong with it?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

1. Make sure your music in the correct folder.
    YourName/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music
    2. Authorize the computer.
    iTunes > Store > Authorize this computer

3. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

All of my music is in the correct folder.

The computer is authorized.

The music shows up in my playlist what is grade out and it will not sync.

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

When you click on the Sync.png button on iTunes, what happens? Does iTunes go through the motions of syncing, then does it say that the sync is complete... even though the music did not get synced over to the iPhone?

Does it stop the sync abruptly with any kind of error message?

Finally, do you have a non-purchased mp3 file you can test the sync process with and see if it works with one of those? If not, you can make one really quick on this website... just give it the URL of any YouTube video you like and it will extract the audio and create an mp3 file for you...

http://www.clipconverter.cc/

Save it to the desktop and then, obviously, import it into iTunes before re-attempting the sync...

#4 Rafagon, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  5. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

Those sync fine. All my non purchased music syncs fine.

What's odd is I purchased an album tonight to see if it would sync. It synced fine to my iPhone. It is only purchased music that I moved from my windows machine.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Have you tried unsyncing your entire music library then syncing it back on?

7. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

Yes I did. And it's the same thing. When I moved it over to the MacBook I re synced my phone. I deleted all music and then resynced. Still nothing.

What's odd is the music I purchased tonight synced fine. It's only the music I moved over from the windows machine

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I would try that one more time.

9. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

I have not set up as new. I don't want to lose my text messages. But I will try.

On that note is there a way to restore text messages outside of iTunes backup?

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I would try unsyncing and resyncing again.

I don't think you need to restore to factory to fix this. But if you do end up doing that, you can backup your texting folder and then restore it if you jailbreak. Let me know if you need directions for that.

11. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

Yes. I've done that twice.

What's odd, if when "show all music" is toggled off, and I go into the music app, it is empty. When I toggle it on, it shows the songs are already on the iPhone. BUT, they are not playable. And they are not deletable. There is also no change in disk usage/storage.

Jim

12. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I know you said your MBP is authorized already...

Here's a tip, it may or may not help. When you said you moved the purchase music over from the Windows machine, did you mean you moved/copied your physical files over, or did you mean that you re-downloaded htem from iTunes on your MBP?

If indeed you moved or copied your physical files of the purchased music over, perhaps rather than moving them over you should just not move them over and instead re-download them from iTunes on your MBP.

I would un-sync, then delete your purchased music files only. Make sure you click on Move to Trash when asked:
    movetotrash.png
    When you finish deleting all your purchased music files, go into preferences and make sure this box is checked:
    show.jpg
    Then, re-download your purchased songs from iTunes onto your MBP. They should have a cloud icon next to them. Then try the sync again.

13. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

I will have to call Apple then. Some of these purchases are from as far back as 2009. Strange thing, when I moved it over to the windows machine last year I did not have this problem.

14. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

OK....This is my iPhone ONLY....My iPad Mini 2 is able to sync all said purchases just fine.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I know it's tedious, but does it work if you download them on the phone? Also check if it syncs the songs to your computer after you download them on the phone.
    iTunes app > More > Purchased > Music > Not on this phone > Download through the cloud.

16. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

Downloading them to the device populates them into the playlist. I'll check about syncing them to the computer in a bit. I'm syncing my ipad right now.

Thanks, Europa.

17. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

This is the frustrating part. As you can see, my music list still shows songs on my phone. But the status bar on the bottom shows my music app is empty. On my phone the music app is empty as well.

Jim

Attached Files: