Must Always Key In Area Code

drm23233

Aug 22, 2007
Why do I have to always key the area code when dialing a number, even when I'm within my own area code? Never had to do that with any other carrier. When I called Apple about it, they said I needed to speak with AT&T. The AT&T cust service guy told me that that's the way the iPhone works and that AT&T would be rolling out this requirement to all of their subscribers. He went on to tell me that all carriers will be moving to this model.

I have not heard anything about that and I suspect that he was just making up an answer. Can anyone confirm this or is there a way to tell my iPhone to default calls to my local area code?

Thanks

eufo

Bronze
Aug 22, 2007
Miami
Why do I have to always key the area code when dialing a number, even when I'm within my own area code? Never had to do that with any other carrier. When I called Apple about it, they said I needed to speak with AT&T. The AT&T cust service guy told me that that's the way the iPhone works and that AT&T would be rolling out this requirement to all of their subscribers. He went on to tell me that all carriers will be moving to this model.

I have not heard anything about that and I suspect that he was just making up an answer. Can anyone confirm this or is there a way to tell my iPhone to default calls to my local area code?

Thanks
It's called 10-digit dialing and those of us in major cities have had to do it for several years. You'll learn to think in 10-digits, just give it time.

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
I thought all cell phones had been like that for years. I know ours have with Alltel and we're not a "major" city. Was no surprise nor difference to me. I understand really major cities even have to do it from land lines now.

drm23233

Aug 22, 2007
Thanks for the replies. It's new to me. Guess I'll have to get used to it. Now, is there an easy way to update the hundreds of contacts that I imported that don't include the local area code?

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
i live out in Boston and there are a number of area codes that are used out here... we litterly ran out of some area codes.... also people have ported numbers from all over since this is such a diverse area... its been like this for many years over here... i don't even know anyones number... not even my own house... just my cell and work... everything else.. THANK GOD FOR THE CONTACT LIST... its not a good habbit but a lot of people i know are like that... stuck somewhere with a dead cell phone and a pocket full of quarters cant think of anyones number to call to get a ride LOL

teufel657

Bronze
Jul 20, 2007
I've had to 10 digit dial for the past 5 years or so being from chicago suburb area. I've gotten used to it.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
I have had 10 digit dialing for what seems about 9 years now. I forgot 7 digit dialing even existed.