My 2 year old deleted my notes

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
My 2 year old loves to play with daddy's iPhone. She's quite adept at many things. I can hand it to her in the sleep mode. She wakes it, opens photos and likes to scroll through pics of the family. She also likes to change my wallpaper. She loves to watch YouTube.

Well, this morning she was poking around on my iPhone for a while. Later I needed to get into my notes where I keep things like the frequent flyer numbers for the whole family and WHOOPS! it's not there! She deleted one whole section of my notes.

Now if I sync my iPhone it's going to overwrite the data with her "update."

Anyone know how I can restore JUST my notes on my iPhone?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
If it's that important, you can do it the hard way: reformat the phone and reinstall everything. Otherwise, bye bye notes.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I found where the iPhone back-ups are stored on the Mac (you have a Mac, right?): home folder/preferences/application
support/mobilesync/backup/57abaac03e7635d36a595cd8594b313490c842e4
In there, you have dozens of files named "1c23cd802...etc...mdbackup. One of them contains your notes. It's amazing the stuff I found in there (I had to open many to find the right one). Stuff from months ago that was supposedly erased. All the links I visited on Safari. I used an application called "can opener" which opens files that don't have any other apps to open them. So, you could find your notes in there. It would still be easier to reformat and sync.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
Man! That same 2 year old who deleted my notes just initiated an video iChat with me at work! She was at home with her mother and I thought my wife was calling. It was our KID! Mom was no where to be found.

Freaky! She's starting to scare me. (I don't "seem" to remember either of us being abducted by aliens about the time of our daughter's conception...) :p

iPimp

Bronze
Nov 12, 2007
I call shens..a 2yr old operating a iPhone...come on pops...:p

I do not let grown folk touch my iPhone,you are brave or slighty askew in the head...;)

Either way kiss the notes bye bye...

beej

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Man! That same 2 year old who deleted my notes just initiated an video iChat with me at work! She was at home with her mother and I thought my wife was calling. It was our KID! Mom was no where to be found.

Freaky! She's starting to scare me. (I don't "seem" to remember either of us being abducted by aliens about the time of our daughter's conception...) :p
To be blunt, if your daughter can get to the computer and open up an app without being noticed you might want to consider keeping closer tabs on her. Nothing good comes from a child that young running around unsupervised.

Also, one day your toddler will decide to be, well, a toddler with that iPhone, which will end in tears (yours). A Fisher Price phone is cheaper and a whole lot more durable.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
To be blunt, if your daughter can get to the computer and open up an app without being noticed you might want to consider keeping closer tabs on her. Nothing good comes from a child that young running around unsupervised.

Also, one day your toddler will decide to be, well, a toddler with that iPhone, which will end in tears (yours). A Fisher Price phone is cheaper and a whole lot more durable.
Yeah, well, mom was all of 10 feet away, around the other side of the wall, in the kitchen. Not exactly "unsupervised." In fact, with a stay-at-home wife our kids are probably more supervised than most.

BTW, I've pretty much resigned myself to just recreating all the notes.

There is an upside to her playing with my iPhone. She takes cute little pictures of things she likes. It's a very interesting picture into the world of a 2 year old. Of course, those are expensive photos if she breaks my iPhone. :)

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
IIRC the notes on the iPhone aren't synced with anything. It was suppose to be a feature with Leopard and the next version of iTunes but got cut. It would be nice to have as I just made up my Christmas gifts to everyone in notes and would rather not lose it.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
You do know that you can email notes to yourself or whomever, right?
I know-I should em myself the Christmas list I made as a back up! Somehow it never crossed my mind to use that function as a back up.

I also ride to work with my husband in the morning and I usually make myself a to do list in the notes and em it to my work em. Then I have my to do list for the day ready when I open up my email. I print it out because I like the satisfaction of a completed crossed off to do list.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
There is also a "Note" field in each contact, so if you feel an important, save-worthy note coming on, you could start a new contact for it and it will then sync. It's a couple more button presses than starting notes, but worth it for important stuff.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
IIRC the notes on the iPhone aren't synced with anything. It was suppose to be a feature with Leopard and the next version of iTunes but got cut. It would be nice to have as I just made up my Christmas gifts to everyone in notes and would rather not lose it.
What they were referring to was backing up notes, not an actual sync (iTunes does backup notes).

So in theory if the OP hasn't synced with iTunes since the note deletion he should be able to restore, choosing Yes to restore from a previous backup and he should get the notes back.

I usually use Contacts to store notes (since they do sync--a real sync). I use Company Name to store a quick description of the note, prefacing it with "#Note:" (e.g., #Note: Vehicle VINs).

That said I do use the Notes app occasionally so also backup my Notes database (manually).

--
Mike

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
sounds like a real smart kid. Hopefully the iPhone doesn't get broke. I don't let anyone even touch mine. They ask to see it i just hold and they can look but not touch

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007

this is just an assy thing to say.

I am not the OP, but in a similar situation, so comments like this drive me nuts.

My girl (almost 3) has her own desk and computer in our office. She'll walk upstairs...go to her desk...watch some horses running on youtube. She's with the wife and I 24/7. If she wants to wander upstairs and do her thing, what is wrong with that.

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
My 2 yr old LOVES the slider on my iPhone. I just hate that the notes automatically edit instead of an edit option. Could that be in a future update or is that more of a hardware issue?

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
this is just an assy thing to say.

I am not the OP, but in a similar situation, so comments like this drive me nuts.

My girl (almost 3) has her own desk and computer in our office. She'll walk upstairs...go to her desk...watch some horses running on youtube. She's with the wife and I 24/7. If she wants to wander upstairs and do her thing, what is wrong with that.
I'm confused, is your question what's wrong with giving your three year-old unsupervised internet access? If so, then nothing anyone will say in reply will convince you it's a bad idea. You've already abdicated your authority and responsibility. Now if you mean you or your wife are sitting there with her as she gets on the Net then it's actually a great learning tool (obviously). Unsupervised surfing (In an environment you can control, I mean. Outside your home is difficult to police) for children through their teenage years is a recipe for trouble in most cases. Kids and teens make just as bad decision online (worse in lots of cases) as they would in real life. They haven't had time to develop the social filters that protect adults (those with common sense anyway).

Of course I don't think kids should have TVs in their rooms either, so there you go.