My 3G Buying Adventure - Hawaii Edition

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hi all! My goal on Friday was to buy a 16GB iPhone 3G. I wasn't picky about the color - although I wanted black. It all ended good - I got a white one. But, it was a LONG day that started at 8:30 a.m. and ended about 3:30 p.m.

For those who want to follow my adventure on Google maps, I'll provide addresses.

• I left my workplace at 8:30 a.m. (801 South King Street, Honolulu, HI 96813)
  • Got to the AT&T Store at Kamehameha Shopping Center at 8:45 a.m. and stood in line. (1620 North School Street, Honolulu, HI 98617) I would say about 30 people were ahead of me.
  • At 10:30 a.m., they said they were out of the 16GB 3Gs. I need to use the bathroom badly and I went home. (1109 Kokea Street, Honolulu, HI 96817)
  • Headed straight for the farthest AT&T store in Kapolei. (590 Farrington Highway, Kapolei, HI 96707) Got there and there was no line. The employees said they ran out about 5 minutes ago.
  • Ate lunch at Taco Bell. On the way back to Honolulu, I stopped off at the Mililani AT&T store (95-1249 Meheula Parkway, Mililani, HI 96789) and they were sold out as well. There was a line for people reserving the iPhone.
  • So, I figured EVERY AT&T store on the island was probably sold out, so my last chance was to go to an Apple Store. I wanted to go to the Ala Moana Center store but the traffic in that area was horrendous so I decided to go to the Kahala Mall store. I stopped off at the AT&T store nearby (3405 Waialae Avenue, Honolulu, Hawaii 96816) to drop the corporate discount on my AT&T account. The rep told me that if I'm on a FamilyPlan, just as long as my upgrade phone is not the main phone line I should be good (which was BS; it was still a problem at the Apple Store; when I got to the Apple Store we just took off my corporate discount by calling AT&T).
  • Got to Kahala Mall (4211 Waialae Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96816) at around 1:30 p.m.. Started up the buying process at 3:00 p.m. Out of store by 3:30 p.m.
At Kahala Mall, there is also a horrendus parking structure which I went to park in to save time. Making one of my impatient turns, I hit my rim on a concrete thingy and gave it a nice scratch on my brand new car:

This was the first picture I took on my iPhone as well. I suppose it was the price I paid to get an iPhone 3G on iDay 2. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bannod

Bronze
Aug 11, 2007
At the beach, WA
At least you got an iPhone!

But I'm a little worried that you gave too much info (home and work address) if someone decided to stalk you. You never know what loonies are reading the board.

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
Congratulations on getting your phone!:) Sorry to hear about your car:(

Jmusiq

Jun 25, 2008
Sorry to hear about your car but hey, atleast you got your phone. I wonder if maui got sold out too being that it's population is lesser than oahu? (i use to live in maui BTW)

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
At least you got an iPhone!

But I'm a little worried that you gave too much info (home and work address) if someone decided to stalk you. You never know what loonies are reading the board.
Well, I live in an apartment - so the address is just the building. I would never give out my apartment number. I'm not worried. Plus, I have noticed only ONE other Oahu person here. And he doesn't post a lot either.

My workplace is also very secure. I'm not worried at all. :)

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Sorry to hear about your car but hey, atleast you got your phone. I wonder if maui got sold out too being that it's population is lesser than oahu? (i use to live in maui BTW)
Judging by the lines on Oahu, I would say yes. The 3G availability on Maui is very good for most place west of Haleakala. The Big Island also has very good 3G reception. For some reason, there's also 3G availability on Kahoolawe! :laugh2:

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
Hi all! My goal on Friday was to buy a 16GB iPhone 3G. I wasn't picky about the color - although I wanted black. It all ended good - I got a white one. But, it was a LONG day that started at 8:30 a.m. and ended about 3:30 p.m.

For those who want to follow my adventure on Google maps, I'll provide addresses.

• Got to the AT&T Store at Kamehameha Shopping Center at 8:45 a.m. and stood in line. (1620 North School Street, Honolulu, HI 98617) I would say about 30 people were ahead of me.
  • At 10:30 a.m., they said they were out of the 16GB 3Gs. I need to use the bathroom badly and I went home. (1109 Kokea Street, Honolulu, HI 96817)
  • Headed straight for the farthest AT&T store in Kapolei. (590 Farrington Highway, Kapolei, HI 96707) Got there and there was no line. The employees said they ran out about 5 minutes ago.
  • Ate lunch at Taco Bell. On the way back to Honolulu, I stopped off at the Mililani AT&T store (95-1249 Meheula Parkway, Mililani, HI 96789) and they were sold out as well. There was a line for people reserving the iPhone.
  • So, I figured EVERY AT&T store on the island was probably sold out, so my last chance was to go to an Apple Store. I wanted to go to the Ala Moana Center store but the traffic in that area was horrendous so I decided to go to the Kahala Mall store. I stopped off at the AT&T store nearby (3405 Waialae Avenue, Honolulu, Hawaii 96816) to drop the corporate discount on my AT&T account. The rep told me that if I'm on a FamilyPlan, just as long as my upgrade phone is not the main phone line I should be good (which was BS; it was still a problem at the Apple Store; when I got to the Apple Store we just took off my corporate discount by calling AT&T).
  • Got to Kahala Mall (4211 Waialae Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96816) at around 1:30 p.m.. Started up the buying process at 3:00 p.m. Out of store by 3:30 p.m.
At Kahala Mall, there is also a horrendus parking structure which I went to park in to save time. Making one of my impatient turns, I hit my rim on a concrete thingy and gave it a nice scratch on my brand new car:

This was the first picture I took on my iPhone as well. I suppose it was the price I paid to get an iPhone 3G on iDay 2. :)
at least you ended up with an iPhone, i wasn't so lucky :(

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Yes, at least you got your iPhone, but also at least your in Hawaii! All is good in paradise!
Wish I was there!:)

oh, but sorry to hear about your car:eek:

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
at least you ended up with an iPhone, i wasn't so lucky :(
At the end of the day, yes, I consider myself VERY, VERY lucky. I was almost to the point where I was just about to give up and pre-order at AT&T (and wait another 7-10 days).

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Yes, at least you got your iPhone, but also at least your in Hawaii! All is good in paradise!
Wish I was there!:)

oh, but sorry to hear about your car:eek:
Well, the car thing was my fault. I really shouldn't have rushed. Then again, my haste helped me to get a 16GB. When I left the store, I overheard an employee saying they just ran out of the 16GB.

Bannod

Bronze
Aug 11, 2007
At the beach, WA
Well, I live in an apartment - so the address is just the building. I would never give out my apartment number. I'm not worried. Plus, I have noticed only ONE other Oahu person here. And he doesn't post a lot either.

My workplace is also very secure. I'm not worried at all. :)
Glad to hear you're safe!

But just so you know, for every one that posts, there are ten that don't. They just lurk.

dyzfnctional

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
i was at ala moana Apple store at 8am, and picked up my phone by 11:30... while in line Apple served starbucks coffee, popsicles, and bottled water.

i also had to remove my corp discount at the store in order to activate.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
i was at ala moana Apple store at 8am, and picked up my phone by 11:30... while in line Apple served starbucks coffee, popsicles, and bottled water.

i also had to remove my corp discount at the store in order to activate.
Dude! I heard the line was like 200 strong there! In fact, I think the only reason I got a 3G is because Ala Moana sent a shipment to Kahala.

I also did get bottled water at both AT&T and Apple. So with two water bottles, that's a 10 cent rebate! :laugh2:

On Saturday, I went back to AT&T to reinstate my corporate discount.

hamtaro

Sep 2, 2007
Glad to hear you eventually got one!

I was watching KGMB news around 6:30 and found out that there were already 100 people in line at Ala Moana. So i went to the store and got to the store at 7. I think I was like between 100th and 200th. I got to the inside of the store at 10:30. It was a long wait.... I think there was a couple of hundreds of people behind me as well... Oh there was a quarrel between a group of people (a family?) and this guy who thought some of them cut the line.

Anyways, when i left the store, it was like 11am already. I got to work around noon... my boss knew why I was late and wanted to see my new iPhone! (we have flex time by the way, so he is ok with it.)

Honolulu advertiser had a picture of the long line. I was in the picture!

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Glad to hear you eventually got one!

I was watching KGMB news around 6:30 and found out that there were already 100 people in line at Ala Moana. So i went to the store and got to the store at 7. I think I was like between 100th and 200th. I got to the inside of the store at 10:30. It was a long wait.... I think there was a couple of hundreds of people behind me as well... Oh there was a quarrel between a group of people (a family?) and this guy who thought some of them cut the line.

Anyways, when i left the store, it was like 11am already. I got to work around noon... my boss knew why I was late and wanted to see my new iPhone! (we have flex time by the way, so he is ok with it.)

Honolulu advertiser had a picture of the long line. I was in the picture!
I probably should have gone there first, but I was really wanting to do it at AT&T.

Congratulations! :cool:

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu

man the thought of OAHU island makes me sad.... I left there in Feb and missed the hell out of what I call home.. Hawaii...

i loved HI, anything big that comes out rather it's 360/iPhones/ps3 I manage to get one easily

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
man the thought of OAHU island makes me sad.... I left there in Feb and missed the hell out of what I call home.. Hawaii...

i loved HI, anything big that comes out rather it's 360/iPhones/ps3 I manage to get one easily
As long as you are persistent... like me... yeah you can get anything here. :)