My 3G iPhone frustrations - battery, signal, GPS, mail

Bosco115

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
This is my personal experience so far with the iPhone 3G (bought Friday) after owning the original iPhone since launch day last year. I'm making my frustrations visible in my own thread because I'm selfish and I like the attention. So let's get that fact out of the way.

First of all, signal strength. It has been outlined in many threads already, but my iPhone reports horrendous signal strength, even though I have yet to drop a call. This is most likely a problem with AT&T's limited 3G network. I don't know whether I want AT&T to increase coverage, or whether I want Apple to lie to me (like all other cell phones that drop calls with 4 bars somehow) and show better signal than what I'm actually getting. Still, very annoying.

Second, GPS. I was on the road yesterday and it works relatively well. But about 25% of the time, it's slow, it lags, and it hangs. Today, I have been unable to get it to locate me at all, whether indoors at home, standing in my driveway, indoors at work, or standing in the parking lot at work. I don't live in a remote area. I LIVE 20 MINUTES FROM PHILADELPHIA! FIND ME! Incredibly frustrating. It worked great yesterday and I found my way to the Delaware River Tubing Co., and found my way to a friend's house from there using Google Maps and GPS tracking. Total, those trips lasted about 1.5 hours, and that brings me to my next point.

Third, battery life is horrible. Absolutely atrocious. It has died on me every day since I bought it. I am used to being able to keep Wifi enabled, and I plan on keeping GPS active, along with 3G because it is ridiculous to have to search through Settings in order to activate and deactivate these MAJOR FEATURES every time I plan to use anything on my phone other than sending a text message. Playing Cro-Mag? Total battery murderer. Using 3G and GPS to take advantage of Google Maps? Battery killer.

Fourth, Mail application still sucks. I have my email fetch interval set at 15 minutes, and sometimes it goes hours without checking. And then I'll enter the mail application, suspecting the fetch of going limp on me, and I'll be hammered with 10 unread messages from my two accounts (one POP, one IMAP, both lazy).

If I have to turn down the brightness, turn off Wifi and 3G, disable GPS, and increase my email intervals, why did I even buy an iPhone 3G in the first place? Can I at least have a replaceable battery so that I can keep going after this thing dies?

With that said, the 2.0 software has been absolutely unbelievable. Apps like Cro-Mag, Shazam, Remote, Pandora, and AOL Radio have been nothing but a dream to use. And I appreciate the louder speaker, I really do.

So overall, it seems that I have a lot of the same recurring problems as other people on this forum, as well as a few others that haven't found their way to the front page. Am I alone?

drsfinest72

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
cut the whining. and send it back for a full refund. you got 14 day money back guarentee.

drsfinest72

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
Isn't it a 30 day money back now?
if thats the case. then you have enough time to calibrate your Li-ion battery for better lasting hours. if you don't like it on the 29th day just send it back.

Jul 13, 2008
Hehe I don't think he was whining for any other reason than the attention. He said so in the beginning. L :)
Most issues will probably be resolved with software patches, a la **gasp!* Microsoft, and as for the battery, nada. Get yourself an external battery pack for extra life or shut down some settings, only options I see.

Bosco115

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
In all honesty, it's an early-adopter's tax. You get the glory of the great feature set before anyone else at the expense of bugs and poor performance.

This isn't a post saying, "Wah wah wah this sucks, N95 is better, wah wah wah." I'm looking to see if any of my other problems are relatively common, and if so, how can we address the issue. While this thing has it's fair share of poor performance, I'm not about to bring it back. It's still better than all of the other smartphones that I've used (in short, all others suck badly).

Let's hope the battery improves. Honestly. It's a freaking nightmare right now. Basically, Jobs was right last year when he said 3G wasn't included because of the power demands. He's still right.

UFGator

Jul 17, 2007
cut the whining. and send it back for a full refund. you got 14 day money back guarentee.
Why is it that whenever anyone points out the flaws of an iPhone some Apple weanie calls it whining. I would say that every point I heard was a valid complaint and all reasons that I will most likely just stick with my V1.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
In all honesty, any GPS unit used in a car is usually hooked up to power. You cant expect a handheld device to track your every move with GPS and not drain the battery. I bought an FM transmitter with power for my iPhone, when I use the GPS, I plug it in.
With so many radios and so many data options, its hard to imagine it having better battery life unless they change the screen to OLED. They eliminated backround processes by implementing push, and I agree with you on that point, PUSH has been shotty since v1 on the iPhone. Im starting to think they make it crappy on purpose to PUSH you in the MobileMe direction. A reliable PUSH to the iPhone....yeah, I guess Ill pay 100 a year for that.
Im not an Apple fanboy by any means, but I love this iPhone.

Bosco115

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
Im starting to think they make it crappy on purpose to PUSH you in the MobileMe direction.
Agreed. Sort of like how AT&T will send you a text with a username/password combo to get an MMS if you aren't able to receive them. Yet the website is totally shitty and works maybe half of the time. The other half of the time, it just hangs. And thanks to the pre-existing iPhone annoyances, I can't copy/paste the username/password into Safari, nor can I even view the message because AT&T's site uses Flash to display it.

Whatever the case, I can take the annoyances that come with being an early adopter. However, poor battery life is a real deal-breaker. Let's hope it gets better with time.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
We had many of the complaints in the first post with v1 last year, poor reception, battery life, volume. They all got better with time and upgrades, hang in there it's only been 3 days. As for the rest of the stuff, I would love MMS, video, cut&paste, can only hope it will come eventually in upgrade or maybe even through app store.