My 3G is cracking!

MiPhone7012

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Seattle, WA
Im not sure how long it has been cracked but i noticed it today...its not my screen it the plastic on the back. I have a white 3g and there is a little black crack forming and i haven't dropped it at all...has this happened to anyone and what do i do?

please any help

Thanks

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
This has happened to a ton of 3G owners. Take it to the Apple Store. They'll swap it out for a new (refurbed) one.

P.S. the search function is your friend. ;)

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Saverino is correct. As long as there is no real physical damage around the crack it should be replaced for free.

MiPhone7012

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Seattle, WA
This has happened to a ton of 3G owners. Take it to the Apple Store. They'll swap it out for a new (refurbed) one.

P.S. the search function is your friend. ;)
Thanks so much, and i honestly thought i was the only one so i didn't search...but from now on i will

Thanks

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
Im not sure how long it has been cracked but i noticed it today...its not my screen it the plastic on the back. I have a white 3g and there is a little black crack forming and i haven't dropped it at all...has this happened to anyone and what do i do?

please any help

Thanks
Get a case for it.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
The cracking was actually a defect of the phone and a rather well-documented issue. I'm not sure a case would have helped in this particular instance.

Feb 19, 2009
I had that problem before too; multiple cracks just appearing by the silent switch and the sim slot. I made an appointment at the Apple store and they took a look at it, told me that's a manufacture problem and replaced it on the spot.

When I asked if the new one is a refurb, the genius told me that the internal parts might be from an iPhone that got returned (most likely from broken screens and they saved the internal workings of it) but the external bdy is all brand new.

Bonus of the story? New iPhone is unlocked! =D

yakob89

Bronze
Apr 16, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
Im actually taking mine into the Apple store in 20 min or so to get my replaced. Its funny because when I went in last week the guy there told me that I would be charged for it. He worked there! So I was surprised when you all said it would be replaced for free.

krypto

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Cracks happened to me twice now. Around the sim tray, volume, etc.

Replaced both times by a genius.

badge

Bronze
Feb 23, 2009
Bristol UK
I have noiticed cracks near my silent switch rang o2-uk they said bring it in and they can send it off, will i have better luck if i go straight to a Apple store? or will i have to let o2-uk deal with it

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
Go straight to the Apple store for a replacement- I've swapped mine out twice for cracks and its ALWAYS in a case .

ant7701

Bronze
Mar 5, 2009
great.....i've had my phone for less than a month and never not in a case, well I just took my phone out of its incase slider and noticed small cracks at the headphone jack AND the silent switch. AND I alos noticed that the incase slider is scratching the phone aswell. UGHH! Anyways.....the Apple store will give you a refurb or is there a chance of getting a new phone?

And....are the refurbs modified at all to fix this issue or is this cracking gonna happen on every phone I get? Really pisses me off considering there's no insurance available for this expensive piece of junk ;)

jdk2

Bronze
Dec 2, 2008
Stratford, NJ
Some crack and some don't. There's no way to know beforehand. Apple will replace it with no questions asked.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I got my iPhone switched today for a new one because of cracks. They were getting bad. I also had my phone in an incase slider. I love that case. The "genius" told me he would suggest having no case at all on the iPhone to avoid these cracks.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I got my iPhone switched today for a new one because of cracks. They were getting bad. I also had my phone in an incase slider. I love that case. The "genius" told me he would suggest having no case at all on the iPhone to avoid these cracks.
I don't think a case has much to do with it.. Just my 2 pennies.

ant7701

Bronze
Mar 5, 2009
ok but after my Apple warranty runs out (one year) I have to just sit back and watch it crack? they should extend the warranty for such an issue.

Listerman

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
i have a large crack on the bottom and by the slim slot. they are replacing these without issues?