My 3G is unlocked...

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
... and working great on T-Mobile.

And before anyone gets too excited it's only because I bought a model number MB496ZA/A which is unlocked from Apple.

I'm awaiting an InvisibleSheild, which should arrive tomorrow, and will then use it in earnest.

I have a couple of questions before connecting it to iTunes for the first time.

1. My 2G is already synched and backed up to iTunes. Will I be able to 'restore from back-up' my 3G using my 2G back-up?
  2. Will the apps I purchased for the 2G be useable on the 3G or are they locked to the 2G iPhone?
  3. What are the chances iTunes will lock my 3G because I'm using it with a non-Singapore iTunes account?
For those that are interested it cost me Singapore $1400, which is around US$975. This may seem a lot but having the freedom to use my own carrier and not have to wait for unlocks to become available each time there's a firmware upgrade available is, IMHO, worth it.

Thanks for the help.

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
More power to you, but no way I would pay that much for the phone.

I don't think your apps are locked to your 2G phone and should work on the 3G phone.

ADDam

Bronze
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
I just bought a 3G a few days ago and when I synced it all my apps from my 2G transfered to my 3G.

icecreamman2

Bronze
Jul 23, 2008
san francisco/vancouver
your 3G will sync to the back-up of your 2G iPhone, the apps will work and i am pretty sure that when you go sync the phone it will say "your iTunes account is not a singapore iTunes account will you like to go back to your iTunes account original country's store?" something allong those lines. and i also believe the phone you got is a legally unlocked one so iTunes will not lock it...

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Ahh, but if you buy an unlocked phone from overseas and then bring in back to the US. Do you voilate Apple's own policy about the phone being unlocked?

Or does Apple turn a blind eye to their own policies at their convenience ;)

And if you need to take it in to be fixed and they decide to replace it, do they give you an unlocked iPhone?

your 3G will sync to the back-up of your 2G iPhone, the apps will work and i am pretty sure that when you go sync the phone it will say "your iTunes account is not a singapore iTunes account will you like to go back to your iTunes account original country's store?" something allong those lines. and i also believe the phone you got is a legally unlocked one so iTunes will not lock it...

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I'm just posting b/c I'd like to know what happens. Please keep us posted.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
I'm just posting b/c I'd like to know what happens. Please keep us posted.
The vulchers are circling ;)

I'll be giving it a go later today.

I may well be in the same state as other 3G owners - locked! And I only have the option to use T-Mobile, so it'll be EBay for my $975 iPhone.

Another thing that prompted me to go down this route is that I have a couple of apps that have upgrades that only work with 2.1 and I'm sure this will proliferate and continue so we'll always be waiting for the dev team with 2G, never mind 3G.

Clearly the Apple model doesn't support selling an unlocked iPhone for $1000 but I'm sure the'yd sell a load if they did.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Well, here's how it went.

Connected to iTunes and restored from my 2G back-up. None of my apps would work. They'd just open and return to springboard.

So, I upgraded to 2.1 which worked but same problem.

So I restored to orginal settings.

Up came emergency calls only!

Panicked a bit but connect it to iTunes and it said awaiting activation, insert valid SIM.

Decided to see if it would sync just one app and a ringtone.

It did and it activated itsefl and all is well.

So I now have a 2.1 3G using T-Mobile.

Woo Hoo!

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Congrats! Glad to hear it worked out for you in the end!

It's a bummer you can't use T-Mobile's 3G network with it, though. But at least you can use the carrier of your choice. I'm looking into getting a legitimately-unlocked 3G iPhone too through a co-worker with connections in a country where they're sold. I'd love to be able to use my iPhone with local SIM cards during some overseas travel I'll be doing early next year...

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
I guess O2's PAYG 3G iPhone is not unlocked for any carrier?
Yes, O2 is locked to O2.

They're available on O2 PAYG for £399 though.

Can I get a PAYG SIM that includes data for when I'm in New York later this year?

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I'm not sure, check out www.attwireless.com or www.t-mobile.com and see if there is anything there for that. The PAYG plans out here suck compared to the UK ones.

Yes, O2 is locked to O2.

They're available on O2 PAYG for £399 though.

Can I get a PAYG SIM that includes data for when I'm in New York later this year?