My 6 Plus review

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by bams50, Apr 14, 2015.

1. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

Have had my 6+ for a little over a month now. I'm not the 'must always have the latest' fan-boy type; but when I need a new item I tend to overthink/over-research. This case was no different.

I carry two iPhones, one personal, one business. Last August my trusty 3GS on my business line finally died. I wanted to wait for the 6, so I went with a Lumia 635 Windows phone $99, no contract) to bridge the gap between then and when the over-hype of the 6 calmed down. (REALLY did not like the Lumia, but that's another subject). Finally, last month, it was time.

Over those months I went and looked at the 6 and the Plus several times, trying to decide. Many times I put both in my pockets to see how they felt; navigated one-handed; held them up to my head. Went back and forth several times about which to get. In the end I went with the Plus because of the reported better battery capacity. Went with the 64gb; not sure if I'll ever use it all, but the price difference wasn't much.

Impressions: It is almost too big, but not bad. I feel like a tool holding it up to my head, but then I rarely make/take calls on it. What I DO love about the bigger screen is when I want to watch TV or video, or researching on the Web while away from my desk. It is too thin and slippery for me naked; I'm likely to drop it. An $8 leather case and tempered glass screen protector from eBay solved that. Still, I do have a pretty good record of taking care of them; and I'm able to be extra-careful with it. I moved my 4s to the business line, so that still gets most of the knocking around.

One issue I had was when using dictation, especially within a forum. It would randomly shut off in the middle of a sentence. Also, if I hit the wrong 'done' button, it would delete everything I had just dictated. VERY annoying. The latest update seems to have helped that, but it's still occuring.

I don't know what I was expecting, but I am a little disappointed with the speaker. It is barely better than my 4s. Not really a complaint, I was just expecting a big improvement in 4 years. Did not happen.

Battery life has been excellent, even with heavy use. Maybe I'm just used to my tired-out 4s, but I can go almost 2 days without a charge. Nice, but I tend to plug in and top off whenever I'm in the office anyway. Teamed up with my 4s, it's a good combination; I do most things on the Plus, and save the 4s battery for when I specifically need that line- occasional business call or text, and my bank app.

Having the two together is a trip. Sometimes I don't even want to look at the tiny 4s, sometimes I still prefer it for the ease of one-handed use. They both have their place for me, and I have the luxury of carrying both.

Just a brief touch on the camera- excellent for my use. But then, I had no complaints with the 4s' camera. I buy and sell both regular and collector cars. I do my listings right from the phone, and both seem to do a great job to my eye. I'm sure camera buffs notice some difference, and use the tons of settings and accessories, but I don't have much use for them. So, both cameras are fine to me.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably still go with the plus, for the same reason- purported better battery capacity. I also believe that we are on the verge of an explosion of new practical uses for smartphones. Don't know what they are, but in anticipation I think the bigger size will prove a great asset over the 3-4 years I usually keep an iPhone. It's also why I went with the 64gb- my 4s is 16gb and I found myself bumping up against the capacity until I found out voicemails took up space. Once I deleted about 100 of them I haven't been close to the 16gb.

In the end, I decided to stay with the Plus. That said, I will probably look for a good used 4s to have as a backup to mine, since I think I want to stay with the smaller phone on the business line. For me, that's the best of both worlds.

Summary: If you're deciding between the 6 and the Plus, make physical size your top consideration. Both are pretty impressive. If either size fits your use, I lean towards the Plus for battery capacity and possible better future usage for new technologies.

Hope this helps an ignorant newbie like I am:)

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

Hmmm. No responses. Maybe people don't like reviews. I took the time to write it because I was looking for reviews from when I was deciding whether or not to get one. Oh well, little bit of wasted time, I guess.

Maybe everybody that comes to this forum is already an expert iPhones. Except me, that is :)

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I find that in the internet age, to most people anything more than two sentences is akin to reading War and Peace. Good review. I love my Plus.

4. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I also love my Plus. Because it's big. And it's Gold.

I camped outside my local AT&T store for 4 hours, thinking I would get the 6. It wasn't until the final hour before the store opened that I decided to Go Big. I was third in line and figured they would likely still have a model I could live with. I also figured that if I dint like the larger size I could return it and trade it out for a 6.

I've never looked back.

Bigger is better.

5. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I started with a 6 and then moved to the 6 Plus after 4 months and now I couldn't imagine going back to a smaller screen.

6. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

Agreed. Had the 5, debated for a while between the 6 and the plus, very happy with the plus. It's tricky to get out of my jeans pocket while seated sometimes, but that is my only real challenge with the big phone.

I'll note too for the OP, that my speaker is really good, better than the 5. Wonder if it's just the phone you got?

7. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

Maybe I'll go to the Apple store and listen to a 6+ there. I just did a side-by-side comparison with my 4s with the same song on each and didn't hear any difference. Both are pretty decent, I had just hoped the Plus would be louder for use in the car. It might just be me.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You play music through the iPhone speaker in the car?

9. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

Yes. And some talk radio.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm curious why you wouldn't play it through the car's speakers. I just can't imagine relying on the phone's speaker in a car. There are some really cheap options, such as AUX or an FM transmitter, if you don't want to upgrade to a stereo with USB or Bluetooth.

11. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

When I did use my iPhone in car, I'd use AUX and it worked great, but I can't wait to get a vehicle with Bluetooth setup and all. :)

12. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

Reason is, I am in the used car business, including classic cars. Sometimes I'm driving 4 or 5 different cars in a day. Some cars only have an AM radio or none at all. I never am in a car with an 'aux' jack, and it's too much of a PITA to drag cords and fiddle with lighter sockets anyway.

When I'm running through my day, my phone is usually in my breast pocket playing music or Dave Ramsey. Or, without a jacket, it's laying on the seat next to me. For those times, I wish the speaker was a little louder.

In my business, I'll always almost never be in a car that has an 'aux' jack. A bit louder speaker would make this phone perfect for me.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Oh, okay. Have you considered getting a small bluetooth speaker? They sound great, are a lot louder than the phone and fairly cheap. I think you can get them for as low as $25.

14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Just bought this Bluetooth speaker for $40 and it puts out plenty of volume.

5235001_sa.jpg

15. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

No, but I'll look into them. How many hours of use do they give between charges?

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

They usually give about five hours on a charge.

17. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

Groovy. Thanks!

18. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr Contributor
    Bronze

19. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

20. Alex Spieth

Alex Spieth New Member

Nice review, I very nearly went for the Plus but I just feared that it would be impractical for day to day use. I actually think my 6 is a little big if I'm being honest. Be interesting to see what direction Apple go in next