My Apple earphones just fell into toilet. Best course of action?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Rafagon, May 31, 2013.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The topic description basically covers my situation. Opinions?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Let them air dry. If they sound bad or have any other problems after they dry out, take them to an Apple Store. Apple will likely replace them for free.

3. Nrevezzo

Nrevezzo Member
    Bronze

Swabbing with a Clorox wipe would be my first course of action. A THOROUGH swabbing!

4. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Dry them off with your shirt, function test, carry on. :)

5. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I would have flushed. They are such crappy earphones.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I love the iPhone 5 EarPods. They are a huge improvement upon the old earbuds. They are a lot louder and have more range. I've tested a bunch of earbuds, but I always went back to Apple (mainly because of the fit - I don't like earbuds that seal) so I don't even bother looking for replacements anymore.

7. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

My main objection is being tethered to my iPhone. What do the music aficionados here say about the sound quality?

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Well, they're $30, so the quality isn't going to match high-end earbuds. However, they definitely don't sound crappy. And the fit and volume is great. They music isn't compressed like it is on the 4S earbuds. EarPods are a stark improvement from the old style if you haven't tested them yet.

9. Jerome G

Jerome G Member
    Bronze

They definitely sound good and a big upgrade from the prior earbuds.
    Don't know if I would spend $30 on them if they didn't come with my iPhone. They do not isolate the sound like IEM's. the Apple in ears sound better but cost a lot more retail. You can find them on eBay for about $30 if you need the sound isolation.
    A good place to find out about headphones is headfi.org. They have many good opinions regarding headphones at all price ranges.

Sent using iCafe app

10. meFTW

meFTW New Member

Would put this in rice help with the drying process? haha.

11. Jerome G

Jerome G Member
    Bronze

It might, and you would have some nice yellow rice !

Sent using iCafe app

12. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

The biggest problem with them, like the old Apple earbuds, is that they offer little sound isolation. Not only is this a sound quality issue, but also an ear safety issue. In order to hear music or the person at the other end of a phone call, the earbuds have to be louder than ambient noise. The problem is if you're somewhere with high ambient noise levels (like an airplane or city), the buds will have to pump so much volume into your ears to overcome ambient levels, they could easily damage your ears.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's a good point. When I'm on an airplane, I use my Apple in-ear headphones (which do have sound isolation) for that very reason. When I used the regular 4S earbuds on a plane, I couldn't hear the movie I was trying to watch even though it was at the max volume.

14. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I just hope it was a "clean" toilet. Otherwise, I would've done exactly what up10ad suggested.

15. Grayburn

Grayburn Member
    Bronze

Chuck 'em away and buy some Sennheisers(y)

16. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

I fly every week for work and I usually have my Bose QC-15 and I'm in heaven. Unfortunately the battery died mid flight and I tried to use the Apple ear pods. It was impossible because of the noise coming in from the outside. Totally worthless except for when I run.

Sent using iCafe app

17. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

You're talking Apples and oranges with Europa (no pun intended). She is referring to the noise canceling Apple ear buds that sell for $79. The new stock iPhone ear buds are NOT advertised as noise canceling and retail for $29.

I have no experience with the $79 ones, but as an iPhone user for 5+ years I can testify that the stock ones that come with the 5 are leaps and bounds better than the old. For my purposes they work fine, but there are certainly better options out there if you are willing to spend the money...

Rafagon, are yours working again after letting them dry?

18. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I prefer brown rice myself. But not if this is how it got this color.

Sent using iCafe app

19. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Noise isolation and noise canceling are not the same thing either. Isolation (which is what most decent ear buds do) is a physical barrier like a silicone or custom-fitted earpiece. Canceling is done by the speakers themselves eliminating outside noise. This is usually in the form of larger over-ear headphones since it requires a lot of power to do.

20. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Thanks for the lesson, but you're still not talking about the same ones as Europa. The ones you used on the plane were likely the $29 variety, or the ones that ship with the phone. Europa referred to the ones that Apple sells for $79. Click Europa's link above to get more details...

Back to the point, Apple's basic, $29 ear buds are no where near the quality of your Bose or other quality ones, but they still are better than what iPhones previously shipped with.