My Big Question

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

spartan53

Jun 23, 2007
Ok guys, as we near the end of our iPhone journey I have one final question that may seem stupid, but I have yet to find anyone to answer it. Can you customize yor ringtones? The demo on the Apple website only shows the pre-loaded tones. Does this mean we cannot set one of the songs that we loaded on to the ipod section of the iPhone, as our ringtone. If we cannot that would be a major dissapointment for me because my phone prior to the iPhone can play mp3's as the ringtone. Thanks for the help boys! (and any girls reading this lol)

iphonenotify

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Ok guys, as we near the end of our iPhone journey I have one final question that may seem stupid, but I have yet to find anyone to answer it. Can you customize yor ringtones? The demo on the Apple website only shows the pre-loaded tones. Does this mean we cannot set one of the songs that we loaded on to the ipod section of the iPhone, as our ringtone. If we cannot that would be a major dissapointment for me because my phone prior to the iPhone can play mp3's as the ringtone. Thanks for the help boys! (and any girls reading this lol)
talk to kolizion.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
well we defently know that it IS possible to customize ringtones what we don't know is wither we have to pay on iTunes for the ringtones from our favorite songs or if Apple will be amazing and let us just use our own existing songs. if youve read up on the koilzion dude and if hes legit then he said that Apple would never make us pay for ringtones and to expect customization of ringtones. so if hes legit then there you go.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Nobody knows for sure yet. Kolizion says we won't be disappointed (if you believe Kolizion), but in my opinion, we just won't know until we get our hands on it next Friday and sync it up with iTunes.

ATTingular

Bronze
May 27, 2007
Ring tones will be customizable (duh? A $20 Motorola can do that) via the settings menu. And since iTunes is the only storefront iPhone will use (officially at least), you can connect the dots.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Ring tones will be customizable (duh? A $20 Motorola can do that) via the settings menu. And since iTunes is the only storefront iPhone will use (officially at least), you can connect the dots.
He's not talking about selecting different ringtones. He's talking about creating your own ringtones and putting them on your phone. Yes, you can do this with a Motorola phone, but you need the hardware to do it.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
sorry that was said incorrectly. I meant AT&T wouldn't miss a chance to SELL you something. For this reason I don't believe we will be able to use our mp3s as ringtones.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
sorry that was said incorrectly. I meant AT&T wouldn't miss a chance to SELL you something. For this reason I don't believe we will be able to use our mp3s as ringtones.
They've never forced this before. In the past that was a Verizon strategy to force you to buy ringtones from them. I don't think At&t will be the one selling ringtones with the iPHone. I think ringtone purchases will come from iTunes. That's why it's been said that the MEdiaNEt homepage will not work on the iPhone, because that's where Cingular/At&t sell their ringtones, games, and wallpapers.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
there are free sites such as myxer.com where you can upload mp3s then they send you a link to your cell phone with a url. You enter the url in your phone browser and then it gives you the option to a. Listen to the ringtone or b. Download it to your phone. It also lets you send pictures to your phone from a computer.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
there are free sites such as myxer.com where you can upload mp3s then they send you a link to your cell phone with a url. You enter the url in your phone browser and then it gives you the option to a. Listen to the ringtone or b. Download it to your phone. It also lets you send pictures to your phone from a computer.
But it's still not free because you incur data charges.

Perfect scenario would be the ability to edit the .mp3 with a program like Audacity and then load it on iTunes and sync it to your phone. I'm sure you'll be able to use the 25 second clip on iTunes if you want, but I'm not so sure you can select the clip as a ringtone. We won't know that until Friday, because it'll never make an iPhone demo clip.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
But people don't want to purchase them. They want to edit their own .mp3s down to ringtone size and be able to use them on their phones as ringtones.
I'm really hoping this is possible. All that audio and not being able to choose a 10s clip of any of it to use as a ring tone?

Jun 23, 2007
I think creating them from your iTunes collections and using them for ringtones may voilate copyright..dunno..it could be some legal issues involved in that procedure and may not be built into the phone. we shall see!