My Big Question

DailyMan

Jun 23, 2007
www.halfrumor.com
I think creating them from your iTunes collections and using them for ringtones may voilate copyright..dunno..it could be some legal issues involved in that procedure and may not be built into the phone. we shall see!
Actually, I guess, that's the reason why Apple recently announced the iTunes Plus which, is DRM free. This way, you can buy a song for $1.29 instead of a 99 Cents. This will allow you to convert and move your songs to any other device as you wish, LEGALLY.

To find more information about iPhone visit http://www.halfrumor.com

spartan53

Jun 23, 2007
Ya guys, i have been looking at the forums for weeks, i just never posted because you guys are great at answering my questions before i ask them. well anyways to clarify my question which was complicated because of how i worded it, can the iPhone play the songs that you have on your ipod section of the iPhone as a ringtone. An example is my friend who has a sony phone and he purchased a 1GB card and loaded 500 songs from his computer onto the card. He now plays any of those songs as ringtones for people calling him. This is my hope for the iPhone, for instance i have the Jimi Hendrix song "cocaine" on my iPhone, and i want that to be my ringtine. Will i be able to place it as my ringtone, like the sony phone. Thanks guys you are a great help. ONly 5 Days!

DailyMan

Jun 23, 2007
www.halfrumor.com
Ya guys, i have been looking at the forums for weeks, i just never posted because you guys are great at answering my questions before i ask them. well anyways to clarify my question which was complicated because of how i worded it, can the iPhone play the songs that you have on your ipod section of the iPhone as a ringtone. An example is my friend who has a sony phone and he purchased a 1GB card and loaded 500 songs from his computer onto the card. He now plays any of those songs as ringtones for people calling him. This is my hope for the iPhone, for instance i have the Jimi Hendrix song "cocaine" on my iPhone, and i want that to be my ringtine. Will i be able to place it as my ringtone, like the sony phone. Thanks guys you are a great help. ONly 5 Days!
Spartan,
I am sure you will be able to do that. That is one of the most basic features of iPhone. For example, in my 60 GB iPod, I not only have the songs I download from iTunes but, I have almost every other MP3 song. Sameway, you can have any number of songs added to iPhone through other sources. And you can use one of those songs for your ringtone. If you want to you use your iTune downloaded song as a ringtone, you probably have to upgrade your iTune to iTune Plus and pay 30 cents more for the song to be a DRM free music. This will make your song legal to play as a ring tone. One other possibility for a ring tone is, if you notice Steve Jobs presentation on the January 19 WWDC, the iTune scree he showed for a short duration had a 'Ring Tone' tab on it. So, I guess, you may fine all the songs converted as ring tone for 30 cents each and each song which they have converted may play for 30 seconds.

-- DailyMan

--------------------------------------------------------------

You can find more about iPhone at http://www.halfrumor.com

iJohn

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Long Island, NY
johnburke.tumblr.com
Ring tones will be customizable (duh? A $20 Motorola can do that) via the settings menu. And since iTunes is the only storefront iPhone will use (officially at least), you can connect the dots.
I remember watching a video a while back that showed some hidden features of the initial iPhone keynote. A photo was taken of the iTunes interface when the iPhone is connected. The usual Music, Movies, Podcasts, etc. tabs were there and a tab for ringtones.

No one knows whether that tab will be used to simply select and move around ringtones, if it will let you create your own or if it will be part of a plan too purchase ringtones from iTunes or a partnership through iTunes.