My Biggest Rant

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
My iPhone 3G has overall been great. I have no complaints about battery life or signal or 'slowness'.

BUT

Twice now, when updating an app on the phone through the app store icon (all on the phone, it was not done through connecting the phone to my PC) the phone has gotten messed up.

What happens is I will start installing an updated app and then go on and do something else while it's installing. Then for whatever reason the phone freezes and I have to do the home button + power button thing to reboot it.

Except it doesn't reboot, it freezes on the black screen with a white Apple in the middle (I've left it there for hours before).

The first time this happened iTunes wouldn't even acknowledge the phone was connected to my PC and even if I tried to restore it with the phone in DFU mode I got iTunes error 1600. I ended up having to uninstall and reinstall iTunes, and then restore the phone through DFU mode.

The whole thing just happened again, except I only had to d oa restore through DFU mode, I didn't have to reinstall iTunes.

This is a pretty big issue I think...

TangoTango

Bronze
Jul 19, 2008
Las Vegas
Or you could just not do anything else while the App is updating.

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
Or you could just not do anything else while the App is updating.

problem is it takes half an hour for one app to install. When it is updating 5 apps it takes even longer.

If I get 1 phone call during that time it all goes to hell. It's also easy to forget it is updating an app when it's been half an hour since you started it. It doesn't say anything on the phone unless you look at that app's icon and if that icon is on a different page it's very easy to overlook.

And don't tell me I need to disable all use of the device while it's updating non-phone related apps. Don't talk like a fanboy who thinks the device is perfect. The problem is with the device, not with my use of it.

If you had to update a program on a computer and while updating you opened something else and then as a result the computer froze and wouldn't turn back on, requiring you to reformat, reinstall the OS, and reinstall all your software (and also resulting in you losing all data since your last backup) you would definitely call that a problematic product.

Stupid crap like that is half the reason many of your Mac users switched to Macs from Windows.

I am making this post to vent and in hopes that if the problems are described often enough it will speed up the process of getting them fixed. 2.0, although amazing, also needs some major stability upgrades, but if no one ever points out the flaws Apple's motivation to fix their problems will not be as high.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Until a permanent solution is found can you update via iTunes while in airplane mode? That way the phone receives no calls and receives/sends no data?

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
Until a permanent solution is found can you update via iTunes while in airplane mode? That way the phone receives no calls and receives/sends no data?
Now that this has happened to me twice I will be more aware of the issue...so I"m not really looking for tips here.

More of an FYI to other users out there about the existing problem (I haven't seen it posted before)

BY the way restoring and then syncing (and moving all my music and apps back onto it) is taking over 4 hours, that is the primary reason why this is frustrating.
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Grow up. I was giving people crap for complaining until I had this legitimate problem. Now I consider myself more mature and understanding.

daddyd302

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
You are not the only person having issues with your phone. Today after listening to my iPhone on my Pioneer and having a blast, it got weird. I plug the phone into the Pioneer and it refuses to play. I checked it, the radio works, my cd works, and the phone works when I'm calling someone. So I take it out and restart it, and when it came back, WHAM all my songs and podcast are gone! No wonder the Pioneer refuse playing anything, there was no songs for it to play. Now before I restarted it, I saw the song there on my phone but it won't play, even skipping to the next song, it won't play.

I thought it was itune that erased my songs the first time this happen. So yeah this is the second time in less then 3 days that my songs vanished. First time was when I was syncing it on itune. Not only that, the apps I downloaded won't launch, if they do, they crash right away. Only the apps that came with the phone works, like camera, photos, safari, ect, ect. It gets even better, the phone turned itself off while I was trying to sync it just an hour ago. I had to hit and hold home/wake to get it going, hitting the home or wake button won't do anything. My phone shows that I have 0 songs and podcast, yet I'm using up 7.2G.

So Jimmy, you're not the only one having issue with the phone. The good news is, that it only takes 20 seconds for itune to back up the phone, when it usually takes from 10-30 minutes to back up. This phone is going back to Apple later today. I hope I get a good one, refurb or new, I don't care as long as it works. Hang in there Jimmy, if nothing you can always take your phone bak and get another one.

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
do you think it's a problem with my individual phone? I assumed they were all the same and it is just a general 2.0 problem.

I mean it's the exact same hardware assuming no defects and the software has been restored from scratch more then once, so I couldn't have 'defective' software (well more defective then what everyone else has...)

With all the iPhone shortages I'd hate to send back a perfectly good phone when a replacement will not be any different

TangoTango

Bronze
Jul 19, 2008
Las Vegas
And don't tell me I need to disable all use of the device while it's updating non-phone related apps. Don't talk like a fanboy who thinks the device is perfect. The problem is with the device, not with my use of it.

Easy on that tone there sir. Re-reading the 13 words I posted in response to your question, I do not think I seemed like a fanboy or insinuated the device was perfect.

When you posted this: "What happens is I will start installing an updated app and then go on and do something else while it's installing. Then for whatever reason the phone freezes and I have to do the home button + power button thing to reboot it." I assumed what you were doing while the App was updating was causing your iPhone to lock up.

The main reason I made that assumption it that, like you, I have also updated my Apps via the App store Icon on my phone. When I do this I have not had any crashes, lock-ups or other odd behavior with my phone. I do not use my phone while the App is updating, I leave it alone until it's done.

And I agree with you, you might be having a Hardware / software issue. The reason I say that is also from watching my own updates. When I update from the App icon, it takes my phone very little time to do it. Updating Pandora from 1.0 to 1.1 only took my phone 4-5 minutes. If it's taking yours a half hour, then something seems very wrong.

Again, I'm sorry if my first post came across wrong to you, that was not my intent.

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
Easy on that tone there sir. Re-reading the 13 words I posted in response to your question, I do not think I seemed like a fanboy or insinuated the device was perfect.

When you posted this: "What happens is I will start installing an updated app and then go on and do something else while it's installing. Then for whatever reason the phone freezes and I have to do the home button + power button thing to reboot it." I assumed what you were doing while the App was updating was causing your iPhone to lock up.

The main reason I made that assumption it that, like you, I have also updated my Apps via the App store Icon on my phone. When I do this I have not had any crashes, lock-ups or other odd behavior with my phone. I do not use my phone while the App is updating, I leave it alone until it's done.

And I agree with you, you might be having a Hardware / software issue. The reason I say that is also from watching my own updates. When I update from the App icon, it takes my phone very little time to do it. Updating Pandora from 1.0 to 1.1 only took my phone 4-5 minutes. If it's taking yours a half hour, then something seems very wrong.

Again, I'm sorry if my first post came across wrong to you, that was not my intent.

I apologize, it just seems everytime a comment is made about a bug or problem with the iPhone the first response is along the lines of "there is nothing wrong with the phone the problem is with you" which really comes across as "I'm an Apple diehard who knows that Apple never does anything incorrectly. Their poop doesn't even stink"

I see now you are trying to be helpful, I'm sorry for over-reacting.

TangoTango

Bronze
Jul 19, 2008
Las Vegas
I apologize, it just seems everytime a comment is made about a bug or problem with the iPhone the first response is along the lines of "there is nothing wrong with the phone the problem is with you" which really comes across as "I'm an Apple diehard who knows that Apple never does anything incorrectly. Their poop doesn't even stink"

I see now you are trying to be helpful, I'm sorry for over-reacting.
No worries at all ! :laugh2:

My "Big Blue" roots run very deep, back to 1983 when I bought my first IBM PC-XT. The iPhone 3G is my first ever Apple product, so I am very interested to see how they resolve any and all issues with it.

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
ahh I just did it a 3rd time!

Right when I finished reinstalling everything (took several hours) the phone said 5 app updates were available so I selected install all.

Then I realized I didn't have wifi turned on, so I opened 'settings' to turn on wifi.

But the phone froze on the settings screen...a minute later the phoen shut off (I didn't touch it)

and now it won't reboot....time to restore again...

this thing sucks.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
damn you should def go to the Apple store because 3 times? if my phone freezes its always fixed with a reboot but yours isn't so just explain to them whats going on and maybe even try it in front of them if you can replicate the problem. ive also noticed that when im installing or updating an app it doesn't download or load while im doing something else or if the screen locks and goes to sleep maybe it does but then it goes REALLY slow. so i just leave it on the home screen and let it download it goes by way faster. try that from now on because im sure when you start doing other things while its trying to install other programs that its slowing it down and or causing it to crash.
good luck