my birthday is coming up

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
So as the title says, my birthday is coming up and i just wanted to address this really quickly. Anyone who opens this up, i don't need a huge response, just an opinion based on what you believe.

I do not have 3g support in my area and would not pay extra for it if it were available. The copy paste absence in the phone doesn't bother me. I get MMS like once every 4 months (so i don't care about it that much). 8gb of memory would be fine for me and i would not unlock the phone, but look forward to the SDK release and am fine waiting for updates that could possibly fix some of the operating system shortcomings (like maybe horizontal typing on SMS if that every happened). I also already have a garmin gps system.

From that description it would seem to you that waiting for new iPhone (for its new price and everything) makes no sense for me right? Since i hopefully addressed most of the controversial areas of the phone and what the new one could offer and i don't care that much for the main features of the iPhone 2 could be then my instinct tells me to get the current version for my birthday. That sounds about right to anyone reading this?

A separate question i have is, lets say they make the iPhone 2 and included for example the horizontal sms keyboard...do u think an update would be made for the first one to have this also? or when phone 2 comes out, phone one won't get much attention anymore...

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
iPhone 2 is still several months away. I wouldn't look for it until next summer. At&t's 3g service won't be nationwide for a while anyway.

Get the current version and enjoy. You won't regret it.

I'm sure iPhone 1 will continue to get updates. Apple is not bad about leaving its customers hanging.

JEWISH_GOAT

Bronze
Nov 30, 2007
Sounds like the iPhone is right for you buddy! If 3G and all the other little petty details don't bog you down, then I agree with you and say get it for your birthday.

As far as being concerned with "phone one" not gettin' any love after version 2 comes out, I wouldn't worry about that. Apple is good about not forgetting those of us with older versions of their products. And I honestly think that the horizontal SMS will be fixed relatively soon after the SDK comes out. I have absolutely nothing to back that up with, but thats what I think.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Really the only two reasons for waiting for the iPhone would be 3G and GPS since those are both hardware issues. It sounds like neither of those bother you so I'd go ahead and get it. All the other stuff can be fixed via software updates which won't require a new phone.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
alright, thanks everyone. I appreciate the responses. Now i just need to think about the consequences of switching to AT&T in a town where almost everyone has verizon.