My cable after 7 months

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by altjx, May 10, 2012.

1. altjx

altjx Member
    Bronze

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336624874.531958.jpg

I find it funny that no one else that I know has ever experienced this. Truth be told, I've used this cable every single day from work to school (some days) and to home. I've always placed it neatly whenever transporting and using it.

My friend says she always get cable exchanges from Apple for free when hers start to do this, but it never went this far. Basically, it started off with the rubber pushing itself up gradually over a month or so, up to the rubber actually splitting and eventually coming off.

Not complaining or anything but just curious. Has anyone experienced this before? I'm debating on whether I should buy a $20 cable from Apple vs eBay. Also, FYI, this cable came with the phone and is the second cable from Apple (first was with iPhone 4 and the cable, now with iPhone 4s and its cable) that I've had to do this.

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Why does the cable looked burnt in the center of the photo?

3. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I have experienced this before.

Apple will replace them. I have had them replaced before, however they replace them within a year. IDK if they can even tell how old your cables are, but it takes a while for that to happen. I'm sure if you get a nice Genius you can get the cables replaced.

4. altjx

altjx Member
    Bronze

Not sure what you're seeing as burnt. There's nothing black or dark in the cable other than the shield. If the cable was burned, trust me, it would not work, lol. What you're seeing is half the rubber, half the shield, and half naked wire.

Interesting. I might take a trip there soon and see about this. The only reason I haven't was because I thought they'd might not believe it. I've had it since October 4th, when I bought the 4s

5. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Take a chance. If they don't believe you, you are still covered under the year warranty they should replace it. If they give you a hard time, and I don't see this happening, I would ask for the manager. I'm sure it won't cone to that though. They will honor the year replacement of these items. Apple is good like that.

6. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Must be the rubber or something. This area looked burnt or melted to me. Also could be I'm on my phone not seeing on a large screen :D
    ImageUploadedByiCafe1336653324.885031.jpg

7. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Do ever even actually touch the connector when you pull it out of the phone? The fact the the outer jacket is disintegrated so badly and that the inner braided shielding is separated from the connector and bunched up to the point Scott detailed seem to support that....

Looks like yours (except the connector) has been down a garbage diposal :eek:

Id be concerned there is a short there somewhere, could cause serious (fire?) damage. Would never plug a cable in that condition into my device.

I guess I'll never complain about my cable again..... :D

8. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Some on here have used heat shrink tubing to do a repair on their cables.
    Would work on a new cable as well. Just a 2 inch piece or so right at the connector to give it extra strength.

9. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I like the heat shrink suggestion, Scott. That would be a great idea to strengthen a new one!
    Just can't see any other way besides splitting it to get it on the cable in the first place......

10. snowtrooper1966

Gold

This thread is just another glaring example of my dislike for the 30 pin connector, with it's perceived fragility and tendency to compact any lint lingering there.
    Here's to hoping the rumors for the new device are true, and that it does have a redesign there, hopefully magnetic.

11. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

All of my cables start doing that, though I don't let them get nearly as bad as the pic.

I usually wrap some electrical tape around it, with a clipped zip tie around that, as soon as I see one little crack.

Strangely, my original iPhone (2007) cable lasted much longer than any subsequent cable. Heck, that 2007 cable is still working.

But the newer ones seem to be coated with powdered sugar. That white covering just seems to melt away.

Michael

12. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Isn't it something that these cables and such might just be a thing of the past in the super near future? Apple has something up their sleeves. I think it's going to be phenomenal. I'm looking forward to it.

13. Jerome G

Jerome G Member
    Bronze

Wow ! I have never seen that. We have 5 iOS devices in our house and we basically all use the same cable to charge, it is a couple of years old and doesn't look nearly as bad.
    I don't know how often they change the cables for the display models at the Apple store, but those devices obviously get a lot of use and while some of them look like they are falling apart, it is nothing compared to yours.

14. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Below are pictures of my frayed cable from a few years ago. I had this cable since the iPhone 3G. I believe this cable broke down when I got the iPhone 4.

IMG_4582.jpg IMG_4584.jpg IMG_4581.jpg

15. Bitewound

Bitewound Evangelist
    Gold

Just bring it in to the Apple store they will replace it for free. They have replaced about 3 of those for me one the last 5 years.

16. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

If Apple relied on these cables for any kind of businesss success they would've been bankrupt a long time ago.

17. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

I have a cable from when I bought the
    First iPhone. It still is in immaculate condition. Look after them maybe?

18. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

True, my last one that came with the 4s is intact, the previous ones were all in miserable shape after few months. They are fragile thou, treat them like a baby and you're good.

19. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

The only way they seem to last is if you don't need to actually use the iPhone or iPad while it is charging. That is not generally the case with me.

Michael

20. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Prior to wireless Mouses (mice?) you used to see those cables fray all the time.
    Not many other cables you use on a daily basis. Phone charger gets lots of use and that insulation will go quickly.

Remember if you can't make it to an Apple store or an exchange Tinmans suggestion was excellent with the electrical tape also the shrink whrapped idea isn't bad either.
    You can always get a free cable at most hotels. Ask to see there lost and found cell phone cable box. There will be several in there.