My camera is broken

unitas

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
When I press the camera icon all i get is static. has this happened to anyone else?

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
are you able to do take a picture or anything?

unitas

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
When i press the camera button i saw static. Then i took a pic and it was the same static. Took it to the Apple store and they saw distorted images when they pressed the camera button. It wAs random and doesn't happen every time. The exchanged my iPhone. All is well.

Raduletzgo

Oct 1, 2007
Same problem

Hey dude,

I just bought me an iPhone on ebay. Got it today and when I tried to use the cam I got the same green static. I am able to take pictures, but they look corrupted (green all over the picture). I hope this has nothing to do with the hardware unlock, but I guess it's like that and you can't fix it.
Not sure about it, maybe someone else knows more.

When I press the camera icon all i get is static. has this happened to anyone else?

Oct 21, 2007
I have the same problem. Unlocked it yesterday. Windows XP, an iPhone 1.1.1 out of the box.

The first time the camera worked, but now it is "dead". It's just a black screen. Is it because of the unlock, have anybody fixed this problem, if so, how?

Oct 21, 2007
bumping this thread, still got the same problem. Live overseas so kinda hard to go back to the store...

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
On my second iPhone, I grazed a car in a parking structure and wanted to take a picture of the damage but my iPhone would reboot while trying to get to the camera view.

I restored it and then it didn't reboot anymore but I saw nothing but black.

Went to the Apple store and they replace it.

xencinas

Oct 27, 2007
samer here... I can't use both camera and photos. BUT I can use the camera using iflickr application...

any clue ?

thanks

dheista

Jul 20, 2008
Still happening?

Is this still happening to anyone? It just started happening to my 1st gen iPhone, and I'm sure I'm WAY out of warranty. Wonder if Apple will exchange mine or if they'll just say I have to buy a new one?!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Is this still happening to anyone? It just started happening to my 1st gen iPhone, and I'm sure I'm WAY out of warranty. Wonder if Apple will exchange mine or if they'll just say I have to buy a new one?!
It's definitely a hardware issue. Try squeezing the corner of the iPhone (the corner where the camera is) front to back... just pinch right on the camera. See if the distortion goes away. There is a connection going bad in there.

I've heard of Apple doing exchanges out of warranty, so you could try your luck. Worst thing they could say is "no"

dheista

Jul 20, 2008
It worked!

It's definitely a hardware issue. Try squeezing the corner of the iPhone (the corner where the camera is) front to back... just pinch right on the camera. See if the distortion goes away. There is a connection going bad in there.

I've heard of Apple doing exchanges out of warranty, so you could try your luck. Worst thing they could say is "no"

You duh man! Works fine now. GUess I'll have to leave it next time it fails and bring it straight to the Apple store and see if they replace it. If not - I'll just keep using this trick until it doesn't work again. Then I'll break down and get the 3g. Not too psyched about getting that one:
- Battery time is apparently less
- The back is more rounded, so I'm not sure how compatible it will be with laser etcher's to get my Harley logo on the back!
- I don't really wanna spend another $200 when I already spent $400 on this one.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
You duh man! Works fine now. GUess I'll have to leave it next time it fails and bring it straight to the Apple store and see if they replace it.
You miiiight be able to reproduce it at will... try squeezing the sides of the phone along the top where the camera is. If you do it right, it will pop that connection again and make it go weird on you. Then the pinch will make it normal.

It's weird, but mine was the same way. It was almost fun as a special effect, but I decided it was best to exchange it.

Meela

Jan 17, 2009
THANK YOU.

I registered an account just to tell you thank you for the pinching thing!

I was really upset when my camera didn't work, because I'm a person who just loves to take pictures. My iPhone is the first generation, and I'm not very keen on getting the new 3G, even though I think I broke my speakers (one doesn't give sound, the other screws up the sound completely =( ), and I'm pretty sure my warranty died long ago. Not ecstatic for a refurbished 2G either..
And I was almost going to give in because both the speakers and camera didn't work (And I really, really like my iPhone, I don't really like the new one >< ).

However, with your help, I got the camera working again! I'd just like to say thank you so much<3 !

Dec 8, 2008
N
I cant believe so many people are having problems with the camera, after it already sucks while it works, there are many coments of defected camera. Mine works normally but lags "WOW" when i open it.