My computer won't recognize my iPod 4g when it is in dfu mode.

1. Private 0Malley New Member

Hey everyone, i was trying to jailbreak my iPod touch 4g running 4.2.1 firmware, but when i put it in dfu mode, my computer doesn't recognize it. I have successfuly jailbroken it once, but i decided it was worthless without cydia working, so i restored it to factory default through iTunes. Now that greenpois0n is out, i tried to use it to jailbreak it again. Since it didn't work in greenpois0n i tried it in redsnow with the same result. Nothing will recognize it when it is in dfu mode. I can easily get it out of dfu mode and when it is turned on, my computer does recognize it. If you know what my problem is, please help. Thanks!

2. fijiman Contributor Silver

You need to keep trying.. sometimes you think your in DFU mode, but your not...Keep on trying. The software part is proven working, it's usually the human part that fails.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Rahilniazi New Member

Kindly tell me the version of redsnow

5. Private 0Malley New Member

Redsn0w v. 0.9.6b3

6. Private 0Malley New Member

yes, I have, I'd say I tried for an hour straight. It only started happening after I restored it from the jailbroken firmware to the original factory settings through iTunes.

7. Private 0Malley New Member

Ok, I really screwed up this time. I downloaded the iOS 4.3 beta 3 and restored my iPod to it instead of updating it. I now get this screen when I plug it into my computer and all my iPod says is to plug it into iTunes.
    Untitled.png.opt650x365o0,0s650x365.jpg

8. Private 0Malley New Member

Ok guys, turns out that I had a bad iPod driver on my pc, i got that fixed and restored my firmware then jailbroke it using Green Pois0n. Thanks for everyone's help!

9. dyce-j New Member

i am having a similar issue with my ipod. i tried to jailbreak it with green poison. had it before but iTunes managed to update my ipod despite me trying to avoid it. this caused my previous green poison jailbreak to be gone. when attempting to rejailbreak it, it failed. now my computer and iTunes will not recognize my ipod. when i try to jailbreak it, it will get to the last 7 seconds after you release sleep button and my computer will say unable to recognize device and when the countdown completes it just says try again on greenpoison. perhaps i also have a messed up driver.

how did you reinstall the driver?

10. Private 0Malley New Member

I reinstalled the driver when my computer crashed n I did a clean install of windows. Besides tht, i dunno hiw u wud do it.

11. fijiman Contributor Silver

Upgrade to the latest firmware via Sn0wbreeze or Redsn0w....following the on screen instructions will require you to enter DFU before proceeding... Just follow the guide....Good Luck

Edit : I'm assuming your USB cable is ok....you can connect to iTunes in the normal way..?

12. dyce-j New Member

@pvtomalley- where did you find the drivers. i tried searching for them online but was unable to find a place to download them. when i look at the drivers on my computer, the ipod shows up as unknown driver so i am almost positive this is a driver issue for me.

@fijiman- that wont help because i cant put any software on my ipod. neither iTunes nor my computer will recognize it. its not a cable or usb port issue because when i plug it in windows recognizes something has been plugged in but it says "device has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it". entering DFU still does not sync it. my computer messed up during a jailbreak so im pretty sure something was corrupt and needs reinstallation.

my ipod itself works perfectly. all my music, apps, and games function as they are suppose to (it is not jailbroken, i am running normal Apple os). i just need to reinstall the ipod drivers but cant seem to find them anywhere.

13. fijiman Contributor Silver

A
    All the drivers you will ever need comes with iTunes....make sure your running the latest version..

14. dyce-j New Member

i uninstalled all 5 or so programs in the order it said on the iTunes website and reinstalled everything but it still doesn't read it. i think i got a pretty good problem on my hands. every thread ive found through googling about my issue is left unresolved. im starting to think my ipod bit the dust.

15. dyce-j New Member

kind of interesting...i have had my ipod plugged in to my computer all day. it ywas completely dead when i plugged it in and now its up to 42% despite not being "synced" to iTunes, my computer, or showing its charging on my ipod battery icon. pretty strange