My conversation with an Apple employee

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

askewed

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
NJ
I understand that some will doubt that I actually spoke with an Apple employee about the iPhone. With that in mind I'm going to tell you what he said and leave it to you to decide.

He deals solely with the iPhone. I can't tell you (NDA) in what context I met him or why he was where I was or even why I was where he was. Please trust me, we were both there and he definitely is in the know.

He was being inundated by iPhone users (not Jane and John users but intense people like the ones here)... "Why doesn't it do this?", "Is it ever going to do that?", "I need copy/paste", "I want flash"... and on and on. Here is how he answered (paraphrased)

We (Apple) want to make the iPhone as complete a product as we can while keeping it as stable as possible. Please understand that your wants/needs don't always represent the masses. We are making improvements to the iPhone constantly and rolling them out when we are as sure as we can be that they will work in the widest range of using situations. Hold tight, there are some really great updates coming.

and that's what he said...

I took from his comments and tone that Apple is working feverishly to improve the iPhone. That they won't rush and certainly aren't going to release something that they know isn't ready. That users like the ones typically found on a forum like this are appreciated by Apple but should try to understand that they don't represent the common user in regards to their happiness with the product. (Read: more people like the phone then don't). I left the conversation no more informed but incredible confident that the iPhone will continue to evolve in a way that I'll appreciate.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
can u disclose how much he paid u to make that report? Just kidding really. But it is of course pretty much what we all want to hear, but so general that its not really very informative. Thanks for posting tho.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
I understand that some will doubt that I actually spoke with an Apple employee about the iPhone. With that in mind I'm going to tell you what he said and leave it to you to decide.

He deals solely with the iPhone. I can't tell you (NDA) in what context I met him or why he was where I was or even why I was where he was. Please trust me, we were both there and he definitely is in the know.

He was being inundated by iPhone users (not Jane and John users but intense people like the ones here)... "Why doesn't it do this?", "Is it ever going to do that?", "I need copy/paste", "I want flash"... and on and on. Here is how he answered (paraphrased)

We (Apple) want to make the iPhone as complete a product as we can while keeping it as stable as possible. Please understand that your wants/needs don't always represent the masses. We are making improvements to the iPhone constantly and rolling them out when we are as sure as we can be that they will work in the widest range of using situations. Hold tight, there are some really great updates coming.

and that's what he said...

I took from his comments and tone that Apple is working feverishly to improve the iPhone. That they won't rush and certainly aren't going to release something that they know isn't ready. That users like the ones typically found on a forum like this are appreciated by Apple but should try to understand that they don't represent the common user in regards to their happiness with the product. (Read: more people like the phone then don't). I left the conversation no more informed but incredible confident that the iPhone will continue to evolve in a way that I'll appreciate.

good post man...that's why Apple is climbin' up to be the hottest company on tha market for computer hardware/software, because of the stability of their products...all we need to do is be patient, and expect nothin' less than the best from Apple as the iPhone contiunes to evolve...word

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
the only part of that that scares me is saying what we want isn't always what the masses want. so he may be saying that the masses don't care about copy/paste .. flash .. ichat .. etc... which is kinda scary. i know there are plenty of people who are fine with the phone as it is.

Lester56

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
What the masses want?

Maybe I speak for the masses, maybe I don't. I don't care anything about Flash cards, S-disk, or whatever additional drive space. I don't care about Copy/Paste. I do look forward to more applications as they become available.

I think the iPhone is the best technological device I've ever owned....and believe me, I've been building my own PCs since the horrid early 90's.....so I know and have been on the bleeding edge for dozens of years.

My only disappointment is paying $500 for a device that I could've waited 8 weeks and bought for $300, and service - that my monthly bill is $100 and what used to be txt-free to people within Cingular is now $.05 within AT&T. If I could get the $100 credit towards my next phone bill would be nice.

Lester

Aug 11, 2007
The reason I'm having trouble with the "we need to appeal to the masses" comment is the picture messaging issue. This is a function that can be found on virtually EVERY cell phone now. I can understand that "John and Jane public" probably don't care about foldering and cut and paste but they DEFINETELY want to send and receive pictures via messaging. This is such a basic feature I'm still blown away that it is not available on the iPhone. Video recording might fall into this category also.

Your friend's argument makes sense with regards to some of the features "super users" are demanding. But MMS? C'mon...

Lester56

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
uh?

I email pictures all the time through email addresses and you can probably do the same if their cell phone has an email address. With this method I don't see the iPhone as being 'short' a function.

Understand my last cell phone, and all other previous cell phones, were just phones. Not cameras, MP3 players, or walkie talkies.

Maybe I'm just simple.

Lester

askewed

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
NJ
The reason I'm having trouble with the "we need to appeal to the masses" comment is the picture messaging issue. This is a function that can be found on virtually EVERY cell phone now. I can understand that "John and Jane public" probably don't care about foldering and cut and paste but they DEFINETELY want to send and receive pictures via messaging. This is such a basic feature I'm still blown away that it is not available on the iPhone. Video recording might fall into this category also.

Your friend's argument makes sense with regards to some of the features "super users" are demanding. But MMS? C'mon...
I have difficulty believing that a company like Apple would make such a huge over-sight. It certainly isn't historically an issue with them. Maybe they're having stability issues, maybe it's something they haven't worked out with At&t (they're are a lot of players in this little phone) Point is why does the mind jump right to, "They fuc*ed up and are screwing us".?

This fervor for an update only exists here and on boards like it. Most people would find it confusing if the UI on the cell phone they bought 3 months ago had changed 4 times. We've all stood over the shoulder of a friend and marveled when some computing issue (that seems elementary to us) baffles them.

In the end I guess I just don't understand not trusting Apple with issues like this. History just seems to support adopting a more patient, hopeful attitude then what I see in many posts. To go on would take my point from it's focus and onto the issue that this board does traffic like it did on the day that the Iranian president was allowed to speak at Columbia and that wouldn't serve any good purpose on a board such as this.

This guy (for transparency) was not a friend or a businesss associate, I was just an extraordinary position rather unexpectedly.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
- Quote:
We are making improvements to the iPhone constantly and rolling them out when we are as sure as we can be that they will work in the widest range of using situations.

I took from his comments and tone that Apple is working feverishly to improve the iPhone.
- end quote

Actually, if I forget for a moment that I really want to believe these statements and instead take this at face value, they don't really ring true. I know that if I told my current boss that I was working 'feverishly' on something, or making 'constant' improvements, and yet had shown nothing completed in over three months I would risk being first laughed at and then fired. I'm sorry, but the first two updates did virtually nothing perceptible to my phone and I refuse to count them.

It smells. Go ahead apologists, have at it.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
In the end I guess I just don't understand not trusting Apple with issues like this. History just seems to support adopting a more patient, hopeful attitude then what I see in many posts.
This isn't a car, or a computer, it's a phone. Technology moves much faster for phones than other technology. Even three months is a long time.

All I see in this thread about Apple are vapid promises; and weak ones at that.

I am giving Apple to the first major update to add items that are found on most any phone costing as much money. My decisions influence a lot of people too. So far it only looks like they will be adding features that make them money, so I might be looking at a different phone in the near future.

Two months go I was on the verge of buying my first Mac too (well, since the '90s), and now that is on hold indefinitely.

And this stance against 3rd party apps is getting absurd: the 3rd party developers have given far more updates than Apple has. Moreover none of those apps, some of them merely alpha releases--and all developed without the benefit of a true SDK--have caused my iPhone harm. But Safari still crashes regularly.

Meanwhile Apple is still anti-3rd party apps for the iPhone. I thought I was buying into the Apple that rallied against big brother and not the Apple that had become big brother.

--
Mike

Aug 11, 2007
Why do you have difficulty believing that a company like Apple would make such a huge over-sight? It certainly isn't historically an issue with them. Maybe they're having stability issues, maybe it's something they haven't worked out with At&t (they're are a lot of players in this little phone) Point is why does the mind jump right to, "They fuc*ed up and are screwing us".?

This fervor for an update only exists here and on boards like it. Most people would find it confusing if the UI on the cell phone they bought 3 months ago had changed 4 times. We've all stood over the shoulder of a friend and marveled when some computing issue (that seems elementary to us) baffles them.

In the end I guess I just don't understand not trusting Apple with issues like this. History just seems to support adopting a more patient, hopeful attitude then what I see in many posts. To go on would take my point from it's focus and onto the issue that this board does traffic like it did on the day that the Iranian president was allowed to speak at Columbia and that wouldn't serve any good purpose on a board such as this.

This guy (for transparency) was not a friend or a businesss associate, I was just an extraordinary position rather unexpectedly.
I agree with your statement regarding the fervor that can only be found on this forum and others like it. I certainly can appreciate that Apple (and other companies) need to look at the big picture when it comes to design and features. However, the lack of certain basic features indicates some failing on their part...whether intentional or not. I also agree that they did not simply forget to add MMS but I find it nearly impossible to swallow any excuse (software stability, contractual conflicts etc.) other than it was omitted for a gain on their end. Possibly financial or possibly for marketing reasons. If/when they do add MMS or other basic functions to this phone it will be received as if the benevolent Steve Jobs was God himself. Mostly by the "masses" we've referred to. People will not realize, in general, that these added "features" were being held back initially and should have been included from the beginning. Am I happy with my iPhone? Of course. I love it. But a company like Apple who has a reputation of being a leader in technology and design has to live up to that reputation. Also remember that, as we are not privy to the goings on behind the scenes at Apple, we can only use speculation and some logic to determine why something was included or not included. I think to put my "trust" in a corporation that is making billions of dollars would be a bit naive. They are in businesss to make money. They offered a product that I liked enough to buy. I am a consumer. Their job is to please me (and millions of others) so that they can sell their product. They have succeded at this point.

Am I complaining about the lack of MMS? No, not really. I am simply pointing out the anamoly. Basically, it is strange that this was left out.

askewed

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
NJ
This isn't a car, or a computer, it's a phone. Technology moves much faster for phones than other technology. Even three months is a long time.
To you. Most people replace their cell phones when they lose theirs or it breaks. I've seen working cars that Acura is planning to release in 10 years. I'd like the car today but I understand that if they give it to me now they'll be out of businesss in 10 years. It's an annoying but needed aspect of our financial structure.

My decisions influence a lot of people too....

Two months go I was on the verge of buying my first Mac too (well, since the '90s), and now that is on hold indefinitely.
AAPL closed at 152.77 today. Everyone on this board could sell their phones and tell everyone that they have influence over not to buy and that number wouldn't move 2 points.

And this stance against 3rd party apps is getting absurd:

Meanwhile Apple is still anti-3rd party apps for the iPhone. I thought I was buying into the Apple that rallied against big brother and not the Apple that had become big brother.
They are protecting their stake in this... They aren't your personal electronics developer they're a businesss.

cap·i·tal·ism - [kap-i-tl-iz-uhm] –noun

an economic system in which investment in and ownership of the means of production, distribution, and exchange of wealth is made and maintained chiefly by private individuals or corporations, esp. as contrasted to cooperatively or state-owned means of wealth.

askewed

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
NJ
Am I complaining about the lack of MMS? No, not really. I am simply pointing out the anamoly. Basically, it is strange that this was left out.
Agree 100%. That's why it's unreasonable to concoct conspiracy theories. It'll come and if it doesn't, it doesn't. We'll never know why and theorizing is a waste of time.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
To you. Most people replace their cell phones when they lose theirs or it breaks.
So what, most people don't spend $400-$600 on a cell phone either. Moreover it doesn't change the fact that cellphone technology moves quickly.

AAPL closed at 152.77 today. Everyone on this board could sell their phones and tell everyone that they have influence over not to buy and that number wouldn't move 2 points.
I am looking out for myself, not Apple. But thanks anyway.

They are protecting their stake in this... THey aren't your personal electronics developer they're a businesss.
Oh please, I didn't say they were.

cap·i·tal·ism - [kap-i-tl-iz-uhm] –noun
Your Apple friend would be so proud.

--
Mike

askewed

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
NJ
- Quote:
We are making improvements to the iPhone constantly and rolling them out when we are as sure as we can be that they will work in the widest range of using situations.

I took from his comments and tone that Apple is working feverishly to improve the iPhone.
- end quote

Actually, if I forget for a moment that I really want to believe these statements and instead take this at face value, they don't really ring true. I know that if I told my current boss that I was working 'feverishly' on something, or making 'constant' improvements, and yet had shown nothing completed in over three months I would risk being first laughed at and then fired. I'm sorry, but the first two updates did virtually nothing perceptible to my phone and I refuse to count them.

It smells. Go ahead apologists, have at it.
Thank you for completing the internet circle of life. I was getting worried that this thread hadn't found someone to pick up the banner of cliché poster and run with it after a full day.

Two thoughts:

Unless you work for a company that designs, develops and markets mp3 players, computers, cell phones and on, you aren't comparing Apples to Apples.

&

I understand not trusting my post, I do but your making a mistake wondering if I or the person that told me these things are lying... for what that's worth.

askewed

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
NJ
So what, most people don't spend $400-$600 on a cell phone either. Moreover it doesn't change the fact that cellphone technology moves quickly.
The RAZR hit 50m in the summer of 06' and was more expensive then the iPhone when it came to market. Moreover, the fact that cell phone technology changes fast doesn't have anything to do with my assertion that people don't buy new phones every 3 months... but it is duly noted.

Your Apple friend would be so proud.
Your 100% wrong on this. If you didn't believe me why would you bother posting in the thread? We are finished now.

--
Mike[/QUOTE]

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
The RAZR hit 50m in the summer of 06' and was more expensive then the iPhone when it came to market.
Nice try. You mentioned the RAZR in 2006, when it was already discounted (long since), yet then mention it how expensive it was when released much earlier. Further, you failed to mention the RAZR was subsidized.

Your 100% wrong on this. If you didn't believe me why would you bother posting in the thread?
I have no idea what this has to do with "Your Apple friend would be so proud." <scratches head>

But as for "believing," as it was nothing more than vapid marketing speak there is nothing to believe or not believe.

We are finished now.
What's this "we" shiite?

--
Mike