My daughter forgot her passcode!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mariouk, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Mariouk

Mariouk Member
    Bronze

Whilst messing around with her brother she changed the passcode several times to stop him getting into it! Problem is she has forgot the passcode! Will i have to restore if she doesn't by some miracle remember it? Is there a way around restoring?

2. offroadhunter

offroadhunter Member
    Silver

You can try this:

Plug in your iPod

Go to "My Computer"

Open your iPod's drive

Make sure you can see all hidden folders (If you aren't sure go to Tools, Folder Options, View Tab, and check Show)

Open the folder "iPod_Control"

Open the folder called "Device"

Rename the file "_locked" to "_unlocked"

3. Gabey8

Gabey8 New Member

Does a device have to be jailbroken to see these things? On my non-jailbroken Touch on Windows 7, I click on the iPod in My Computer, and see Internal Storage, but when I click on that, I only see the DCIM folder where my photos are.

4. Mariouk

Mariouk Member
    Bronze

Any instructions to do this on mac?

5. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

No way to do it on an iPod touch without fully restoring it.

6. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

True. Same thing happened to my iPad. I put a new passcode in but apparently hit the wrong key. I couldn't unlock it, so my only recourse (after some research) was to restore from a backup.

7. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

If you restore from a backup to fix this, wouldn't it restore the passcode you have forgotten as well?

8. Mariouk

Mariouk Member
    Bronze

Done a complete restore and rejailbreak, i haven't told her its fixed yet i wanna teach her a lesson! I told her to stop changing the passcode but she wouldn't listen! 8 goin on 28!

9. Sue Katich

Sue Katich New Member

My daughter forgot the password on her iPhone 4s, does anyone know how I can unlock it without losing all of her pictures and contacts. Please help.

10. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Hello. Has a backup been made through iTunes? Contacts will usually be saved in a backup. The only way to fix this rather than going through Apple or a authorized retail store is restoring through iTunes.

If you're not able to restore without entering password, follow these instructions.

"To put the iPhone into DFU mode so you can do an iTunes firmware restore follow these steps:

Step One
    Open iTunes and connect the iPhone to your Mac.

Step Two
    Press and hold the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time.

Step Three
    After exactly 10 seconds release the Sleep/Wake button. Continue holding the home button until you iTunes pops up a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.

The iPhone screen will remain black.

NOTE***: It may take a few attempts to get your iPhone into DFU mode. Generally, I hold down both buttons then release the Home button just before I think the Apple logo would appear. If you are still holding both buttons down and you see the Apple logo you are holding them down for too long!"

http://m.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034

Sent using iCafe app

11. Sue Katich

Sue Katich New Member

I tried to restore from iTunes and it kept requesting a passcode. I am not real familiar with Apple products so I'm feeling a little helpless. Thanks for your help.

12. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

If you do the instructions in my last post, this will put your iPhone into DFU mode (Device Firmware Upgrade) which for iTunes will see the device in recovery mode and allow you to restore.

13. Sue Katich

Sue Katich New Member

I will try that. Thanks again for your help.

14. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Not a problem. Let us know if it helps for you! Does your daughter have a previous backup for the device through iTunes? If so, it should have her contacts.

15. Sue Katich

Sue Katich New Member

I just got each of my three kids the iPhone 4s last month. I set them all up on my computer and downloaded music for them and did a sync. I believe they are also set up on the cloud. I'm not real sure if there was a backup done, unless it automatically backs up when you sync.

16. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Before it syncs it does a backup. :)

17. Sue Katich

Sue Katich New Member

Is DFU the same as a factory reset?

18. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

DFU mode is normally used when you aren't able to restore any other way. Yes, it puts it back to factory, when you first got the device. All apps and music are still in iTunes, and if you have a backup you can restore with backup.

19. Sue Katich

Sue Katich New Member

I will give it a try this weekend and let you know how it goes.

20. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Thanks. Hope it works! It will at least get your daughter's device back working, and then you can set a new passcode.