My daughter forgot her passcode!

Mariouk

Bronze
Sep 8, 2010
Whilst messing around with her brother she changed the passcode several times to stop him getting into it! Problem is she has forgot the passcode! Will i have to restore if she doesn't by some miracle remember it? Is there a way around restoring?

offroadhunter

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
New York
You can try this:

Plug in your iPod

Go to "My Computer"

Open your iPod's drive

Make sure you can see all hidden folders (If you aren't sure go to Tools, Folder Options, View Tab, and check Show)

Open the folder "iPod_Control"

Open the folder called "Device"

Rename the file "_locked" to "_unlocked"

Gabey8

Apr 22, 2011
Does a device have to be jailbroken to see these things? On my non-jailbroken Touch on Windows 7, I click on the iPod in My Computer, and see Internal Storage, but when I click on that, I only see the DCIM folder where my photos are.

Mariouk

Bronze
Sep 8, 2010
You can try this:

Plug in your iPod

Go to "My Computer"

Open your iPod's drive

Make sure you can see all hidden folders (If you aren't sure go to Tools, Folder Options, View Tab, and check Show)

Open the folder "iPod_Control"

Open the folder called "Device"

Rename the file "_locked" to "_unlocked"
Any instructions to do this on mac?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
No way to do it on an iPod touch without fully restoring it.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
No way to do it on an iPod touch without fully restoring it.
True. Same thing happened to my iPad. I put a new passcode in but apparently hit the wrong key. I couldn't unlock it, so my only recourse (after some research) was to restore from a backup.

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
If you restore from a backup to fix this, wouldn't it restore the passcode you have forgotten as well?

Mariouk

Bronze
Sep 8, 2010
Done a complete restore and rejailbreak, i haven't told her its fixed yet i wanna teach her a lesson! I told her to stop changing the passcode but she wouldn't listen! 8 goin on 28!

Mar 15, 2013
My daughter forgot the password on her iPhone 4s, does anyone know how I can unlock it without losing all of her pictures and contacts. Please help.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Hello. Has a backup been made through iTunes? Contacts will usually be saved in a backup. The only way to fix this rather than going through Apple or a authorized retail store is restoring through iTunes.

If you're not able to restore without entering password, follow these instructions.

"To put the iPhone into DFU mode so you can do an iTunes firmware restore follow these steps:

Step One
Open iTunes and connect the iPhone to your Mac.

Step Two
Press and hold the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time.

Step Three
After exactly 10 seconds release the Sleep/Wake button. Continue holding the home button until you iTunes pops up a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.

The iPhone screen will remain black.

NOTE***: It may take a few attempts to get your iPhone into DFU mode. Generally, I hold down both buttons then release the Home button just before I think the Apple logo would appear. If you are still holding both buttons down and you see the Apple logo you are holding them down for too long!"

http://m.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034

Sent using iCafe app

Mar 15, 2013
I tried to restore from iTunes and it kept requesting a passcode. I am not real familiar with Apple products so I'm feeling a little helpless. Thanks for your help.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I tried to restore from iTunes and it kept requesting a passcode. I am not real familiar with Apple products so I'm feeling a little helpless. Thanks for your help.
If you do the instructions in my last post, this will put your iPhone into DFU mode (Device Firmware Upgrade) which for iTunes will see the device in recovery mode and allow you to restore.

Mar 15, 2013
I just got each of my three kids the iPhone 4s last month. I set them all up on my computer and downloaded music for them and did a sync. I believe they are also set up on the cloud. I'm not real sure if there was a backup done, unless it automatically backs up when you sync.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I just got each of my three kids the iPhone 4s last month. I set them all up on my computer and downloaded music for them and did a sync. I believe they are also set up on the cloud. I'm not real sure if there was a backup done, unless it automatically backs up when you sync.
Before it syncs it does a backup. :)

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Is DFU the same as a factory reset?
DFU mode is normally used when you aren't able to restore any other way. Yes, it puts it back to factory, when you first got the device. All apps and music are still in iTunes, and if you have a backup you can restore with backup.

Mar 15, 2013
I will give it a try this weekend and let you know how it goes.