My delete button is possessed!

iprncess

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
I haven't started any forums since purchasing my phone. I've had the usual issues but nothing major and nothing that I wasn't able to figure out through the forums.

But today....I was attempting to respond to an email on facebook and my keyboard seemed to keep getting stuck. The keys were moving in slow motion and EVERYTIME I hit the delete key it would get stuck and delete all the text it took me forever to type. Finally I gave up and got on my laptop. Has anyone else had this issue? Should I take my phone in to Apple? It is soo frustrating! I love my phone being a first time iPhone user. Yes I miss my BB curve and some of the basic functions that I expected to be on the iPhone. But all in all I'm very satisfied, but this is just ridiculous.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Try holding down the home button and on/off button at the same time. Then slide to power off and start the phone again. See if this helps.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
A lot of people are having the issue with the typing lag. When I took my messed up phone from iDay2 to the genius bar, the guy told me he expected that would be resolved soon.

As for the funky delete button thing, I've had that happen too, but hadn't noticed it posted by anyone else. I've started hitting the space bar when it's happening; sometimes that seems to make it stop.

I'm sorry you're having problems, but a little relieved to hear that it isn't just my phone or something I'm doing to cause it. I hope it will be corrected when the other keyboard issue is addressed.

iprncess

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
Yeah I hadn't seen it in the forums so I thought maybe it was just me. It disappointing and I'd like to know when they expect these issues to be resolved. I almost traded my laptop for a mac after having the iPhone for a day or so because I totally feel in love with it. Then I started to have these little issues and started reading others issues on the forum and figured maybe I should stick with my PC and just see if they fix the issues with the one Apple product I own before I turn into an Apple fanatic.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
Yeah I hadn't seen it in the forums so I thought maybe it was just me. It disappointing and I'd like to know when they expect these issues to be resolved. I almost traded my laptop for a mac after having the iPhone for a day or so because I totally feel in love with it. Then I started to have these little issues and started reading others issues on the forum and figured maybe I should stick with my PC and just see if they fix the issues with the one Apple product I own before I turn into an Apple fanatic.
It's hard at the moment your entire freakin' email is deleting itself to remember how much you love this phone. I am confident that Apple will fix the things that are 'broken'. I'm not sure they'll give us all of the other features we want anytime soon, but I've had such good experience with their customer service that I have an underlying foundation of trust.

... I'm not gonna give up my PC though. :)

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
All you need to do is hold the Home Button down from the App until it reset to the Home Screen then return to the App and typing will return to normal (temp fix)

No need for a complete reboot

CMatthews

Jul 4, 2007
Texas
Delete has hung on me once, I couple of presses of another spot of the keypad stopped it for me.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
I haven't started any forums since purchasing my phone. I've had the usual issues but nothing major and nothing that I wasn't able to figure out through the forums.

But today....I was attempting to respond to an email on facebook and my keyboard seemed to keep getting stuck. The keys were moving in slow motion and EVERYTIME I hit the delete key it would get stuck and delete all the text it took me forever to type. Finally I gave up and got on my laptop. Has anyone else had this issue? Should I take my phone in to Apple? It is soo frustrating! I love my phone being a first time iPhone user. Yes I miss my BB curve and some of the basic functions that I expected to be on the iPhone. But all in all I'm very satisfied, but this is just ridiculous.
i have but it usually snaps out of it after a few seconds for me

hiya1987

Jul 20, 2008
Manchester, England
all my typing issues were solved when i got a new update from iTunes its different to the one you get with the iPhone but i restored my phone to factory settings and it installed it has worked a lot better now.

Psonyk

Feb 14, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Yeah well I did just that and it isn't any better.

I am also glad to see other people are having the same problem. It usually happens to me when writing in Safari. The longer the text gets, the slower the keyboard gets. And the delete button gets stuck way more often too.

It's as if the active memory gets gradually getting full with the text I'm writing and it slows the process down. I guess all this text remains in the active memory because you can set the cursor anywhere and alter any words you want.

Problem is, it doesn't seem to like it one bit. Heck, after posting my text, my entire iPhone slowed to a crawl. Full reboot actually fixed this, bit stillu

I'm wondering if I use the Notes application, write all the stuff there then copy-paste it in Safari using Clippy of HClipboard would help.

I'll try it and report my findings here if anybody is interested. :)

But yeah, I hope somebody fixes this because it's the biggest annoyance with this thing so far.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Hey Psonyk, try opening your mail application then force quit it (hold the home button for about 10 seconds until it closes to the springboard), then try your SMS app and see if it still lags as bad. The mail app can be quite a memory hog.

I occasionally get the stuck delete situation, but usually I can stop it mid-progress by pressing space.