My experience with OtterBox Commuter for iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by Jdsmitty10, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Anyone else have a commuter on their 6? My wife's commuter just arrived today and after putting it on the phone the outer plastic is not very aligned with the rubber inner part. It just doesn't seem like very good craftsmanship. Is this normal for otterbox? ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1412473063.011250.jpg ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1412473075.799326.jpg ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1412473087.269257.jpg

Sent using iCafe app

2. missygal

missygal Zealot
    Silver

That's awful, I would hope that's not normal!:(

3. tortex73

tortex73 Contributor
    Bronze

I was at Best Buy today and tried the Commuter on my 6 and it had this exact same problem. It looked identical to the pics you posted. They must have rushed their design to be among the first out of the gate. I gave up on Otterbox a couple years ago, this just further justifies my dislike for their products, unfortunately.

4. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

I contacted otterbox 10 min ago on a Sunday and got a personal response within two min of sending the email with instructions on warranty replacement. Wow. That is quick.

Sent using iCafe app

5. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

No questions asked they are sending a replacement. Hopefully it is a better fit than this one.

Sent using iCafe app

6. kerriberri

kerriberri Contributor
    Bronze

I've never been a fan of the Commuter and the one in Best Buy that I looked at did this too. You might try the Otterbox Symmetry....it a dual protection like the commuter but is all one piece.

Sent using iCafe app

7. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

We looked at those but no colors the wifey liked available yet. If this replacement isn't any better I think we will head to the symmetry or the incipio dual pro..

Sent using iCafe app

8. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot
    Gold

I hate to say it but that looks terrible.

9. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I have had an Otterbox Defender on my iPhone 5 pretty much since the day I owned it. Now that I have a regular 6, the Defender would probably be too bulky given the size increase.

I'm hoping Lifeproof get a case out soon as the case they produce tend to be a little slimmer and they're waterproof.

I'm naked at the moment and really want a case...

10. Jin

Jin Member
    Bronze

Imo, Otterbox craftsmanship are awful. Their case inner and outer hardly line up. That's why I'm not a fan of them. I was rocking LF on my IP5 all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe Forums

11. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Question is, will otter want my defective case back? If not can I return that back to Verizon after receiving the warranty replacement if I get it within the 14 day return limit?

Sent using iCafe app

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

They're good about sending a replacement. I have put one on before that didn't fit right, but after removing it and trying again, it fit ok. And there always seems to be a "technique" that works. And I never seem to know it! :confused:

13. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

I tried that with this one but no luck. It's bad. And after reading reviews on otterbox website they must of released an inaccurate case. Every review mentions this issue. The new one shipped already. I just hope they fixed the issue before shipping another one out.

Sent using iCafe app

14. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Well the replacement showed up today and it's slightly better than the first but still not anywhere near perfect. WTF otterbox?? I'm already past my return window with verizon and still have a shotty case. My bro in law has the same case on his s4 and it fits perfectly. You would think otterbox would get their design right before sending more cases out.

Sent using iCafe app

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Contact Otterbox if Verizon won't help you. Otterbox likely has some sort of satisfaction guarantee and will probably refund you if you keep getting replacement cases that are unacceptable.

16. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Ya I am in contact with otter and they said they would send a symmetry to replace if I would like. It's the wife's case and she doesn't want the symmetry. I guess I can wait a little while on a replacement to see if they actually fix the issue. The outer shell appears too tall for the inner silicone.

Sent using iCafe app

17. Murphy47

Murphy47 New Member

Defender for iPhone 6 is fairly low profile for an otterbox.
    I have returned 3 due to misaligned ports, snap tabs that wouldn't stay snapped and a screen protector that wouldn't lay flat.
    It looks like they took the case for the Samsung and just moved the camera hole.
    Will try them in a couple of months when they have had time to iron out kinks.
    Right now I have the Trident Aegis and it works well. The usual oily look on screen protector but I can live with that short term.

18. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

I almost wanted to say that this look like the wrong model case for the i6. Otterbox are normally so good with their products...

19. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I made an epic error, decided I needed the protection as soon as possible and went out and bought (rather than ordering online) the first tough case I could find. I went for a the Griffin Survivor. Big mistake - the power button doesn't align with the case itself and it creaks off a gentle hold when I'm on phone, which is thoroughly annoying to say the least. I'm now going to spend double the amount for an iPhone 6 case when I should have just ordered an Otterbox.

20. Jim0321

Jim0321 New Member

this case is horrible have the same exact problem and no it's not normal these cases are defective horrible i'm returning mine tomorrow not worth the $40 plus dolars i paid for it does not fit right at all

Attached Files: