My first complaint about the 3GS

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I love the phone, but no zooming on pictures yet? Really? Come on... I may be missing it, but I'm not seeing the ability to zoom.... Anyone else?

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
On pictures already taken? Works just as it ever did for me.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
you mean zoom on the camera, I guess.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Digital zoom sucks. Its the same thing as zooming in using photoshop. Optical zoom wont be coming anytime soon so I think we'll all have to go without zoom.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
its not that big of a deal for me...its a phone not a camera
Actually, it's a computer that just happens to be able to make phone calls and take pictures ;)

I do agree with styfle though, digital zoom sucks and I have no desire for it at all!

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Digital zoom generally leads to a lot of noise in the picture. Cropping is a better solution.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Digital zoom generally leads to a lot of noise in the picture. Cropping is a better solution.
I shrink my photos in PS, not crop them. Cropping has the same effect as digital zoom. A macro mode feature on the iPhone would be cool, but digital zoom sucks and I wouldn't want it. It is the same as cropping, it magnifies the image by cropping it and enlarging the size of the pixels, which degrades the picture. Cropping blows up and enlarges an already small piece of the picture.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Exactly!

Ramesh, you didn't know it didn't have zoom before you bought it? Where's your due diligence!?!
lmao. You're joking, right? I honestly had a good laugh, thanks. :)

Anyway, I know the difference between optical and digital and all that. It'd still be better than nothing. That's all. No biggie, just surprised it hasn't been added yet.