My "First Impressions" feedback to Apple.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Well, I am very disappointed in the shortcomings of the iPad. I went to Apple's site to find a place to leave my reaction, and the best I could find is the Website's feedback form. Here is what I sent:

"Since you don't have a "First impressions" feedback link, I decided to leave mine here. Please pass them on to whomever needs to hear them.

Well, I am sure I am not the first to say it, but boo to the monster iPod touch that debuted today. No Camera? No multi-tasking? Obviously with no camera = no iChat/web conferencing/skype/etc.
This is very disappointing. It's so on the cusp of being what people were waiting for, and it fell short - by a number of steps.
Can Steve really be that excited about this? I mean, seriously, it's a big-screen iPod touch with ASSISTED GPS capabilities and 3G data connect. Whooopeee.

Sure the large screen is nice, but where is the OLED or AMOLED screen? That would at least prevent eye strain and save a couple hours of battery life too.

I'm not saying I am not interested in the device, but it's not at all what I had hoped for. And I am not alone in this thought either. I belong to several iPhone forums, and just about everyone has said the same things as I have just pointed out.
"It's nice, but I won't be buying one. There is no need for it." And that is because you missed a few key features that would have made it truly a device to have.

Example of user opinions:

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/poll-are-you-buying-the-apple-ipad.51278/

View Poll Results: Are you buying the tablet that Apple will announce today?

Voters
39. You have already voted on this poll

Yes, my credit card is in hand.
41.03%

No, I'm not buying it.
58.97%

For 299.00, I can get a netbook with the same screen, a camera, keyboard, etc. and be more productive than I can with the iPad. In fact, I am more productive with my iPhone as it is.
This device is not the in-between of Smart phone and laptop. It's a smart phone without the phone portion and has a large screen.

It is nice that you incorporated the iPhone OS, and obviously that hints at a significant update on the horizon for us iPhone owners. But nothing stands out to separate the iPad from the iPhone/iPod touch group except it's size.

And guys, let's face facts. No flash means it is an incomplete internet device. And that goes for all touch screen products you make. I mean how embarrassing was it for Steve to pull up a page that couldn't display a large portion of content because you guys refuse to allow flash for fear of losing control of the Apps store to flash developers? And for the record, Flash Video and regular webpage animation is all that needs to be active. you can still block games and such that threaten the Apps Store.
So for the record, swing and a miss.

Hawk
"

Last edited by a moderator:

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I wish they listened. Apples feedback reminds me of (if anyone is a Lost fan) the capsule dump.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I agree with every single thing you said Hawk, but unfortunately I estimate the likelihood of it ever getting read by anyone that matters just slightly above zero :/

Google Voice/Gizmo and Skype would have been a major win on this device.

It is a beautiful device no doubt but I see no reason to throw my money at Apple just to say I have it. There's really nothing imo that it adds to the experience you can already have with an iPhone or iPod Touch.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Well I know I feel better submitting it. And MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, because I sent it to the wrong feedback line, it will get some attention and actually get in front of someone that pays attention.

I now want to make a t-shirt that says:

iPad
...almost there.

And then have an Apple type logo on the back tilted at 45 degrees to look like it fell and landed there.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Or better yet, A t-shirt that says:

"Steve Jobs" on the front

and "Running out of new iDeas"
....................iPad

on the back

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I agree with every single thing you said Hawk, but unfortunately I estimate the likelihood of it ever getting read by anyone that matters just slightly above zero :/

Google Voice/Gizmo and Skype would have been a major win on this device.

It is a beautiful device no doubt but I see no reason to throw my money at Apple just to say I have it. There's really nothing imo that it adds to the experience you can already have with an iPhone or iPod Touch.
You echo my sentiments exactly.

Eninety2

Silver
Jul 22, 2008
To the OP, I think by what Steve said they got what they after in design.

Your skype/ GV has it's own reasons for not being included, which we should all know by now.

Flash? Same story.

People on internet forums tend to forget that 90% of a forum is less than 5% of iPhone owners.

It's not a multimedia device that also reads ebooks, it's a glorified ebook reader with some extras thrown in. Not much unlike the iPhone.

hydro94530

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
One thing I'd like to add is that they should of included the ability to download off the internet. How can this ever replace a laptop withut being able to fully utilize the internet? Have an icon on the Home screen called "Stuff" or something. Tap on it and then all your files are there. I understand why this isn't there and how it never can be, but simply browsing the internet from behind a "glass wall" with no ability to interact is not going to cut it. So disappointing.

Stavie Steelo

Jan 27, 2010
I expected more of a Tablet PC type of thing to it. I touchscreen computer basically, my buddy has a HP Tablet and it is awesome thought it was going to be like that but with Mac software instead. This runs iPhone software instead which I don't like as much wish it had USB plugs in it to use flashdrives and things like that, the way it is setup is just a big iPhone/iPod touch. It is a very cool idea and I think they will have some sweet upgrades for it. I might end up looking into getting one for school though.