My first post

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
From my new MacBook wooohooo im loving this thing so far . still setting it up

One thing im gonna have to get used to is this keyboard, ive been using my wifes hp laptop with its 17'' screen and 10key so its much larger

2.4ghz 250gb hd 4gb ram i love it

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
is it difficult to share files between the MacBook and my HP to transfer things like iTunes etc....?

can i move my contacts on my windows machine straight to the mac or is this gonna be a different file type and will i have to enter them all by hand?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
is it difficult to share files between the MacBook and my HP to transfer things like iTunes etc....?

can i move my contacts on my windows machine straight to the mac or is this gonna be a different file type and will i have to enter them all by hand?
Congrats!
I'm a pretty recent Mac convert as well, and loving it.
Sharing is easy - create the share on your Windows box and it should show up for you in Finder, under the Shared section (below Devices)
Contacts = what app do you have them in now? The Mac Address Book will import from some very standard formats (LDIF, vCards, text file) - so you should be able to export as one of those from your Windows app ...

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
my contacts are on the hp in the windows contacts. im going to put them on a thumb drive i guess and see if they will transfer

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
my contacts are on the hp in the windows contacts. im going to put them on a thumb drive i guess and see if they will transfer
Contacts shouldn't be a big problem. The problem I had was with internet bookmarks. Apparently windows and OSX speak a different "langauge" when it comes to bookmarks. I transfered than all and when I tried them out, I got gibberish. Had to go site to site and save them that way. Well worth it though,Macs are great.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
The easiest way to move contacts would be to use your iPhone or touch (assuming you have one). Just sync with your mac's iTunes, and it will merge your data.

As for bookmarks, foxmarks is a cool firfox add-on that stores your bookmarks on their server and syncs them whenever you sign into a firefox browser with foxmarks... It'll also save passords if you want.

You'll get used to the keyboard... For the most part. The lack of a proper delete button still irks me, though.