My first sunburn.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
I went to the beach twice last weekend, and after the second time I got sunburned for the first time (I have been burned before but just a tiny bit on my face, not enough to hurt though). I never burn because I have very dark skin, and I usually just get even more tan. This time I was in a lot of pain the next day and I was really red. I think the pain was magnified because this is the first time (in 16 years) that I have actually had a real sunburn. Then yesterday the pain was almost completely gone, and right when I was going to bed I started getting a little itchy. It kept getting worse and worse and I jumped in the shower with the water as cold as it would go. The itching wasn't going away and it was driving me crazy! My mom had to work late so she wasn't home yet, so I called her asking her what I should do and she told me to stay in the shower and she would be home in a little bit with some benydrill (sp?). She got home 20 minutes after we talked and when she got home I had been in the shower for 40 minutes. I took the medicine while she was on the phone with our insurance people I think, and the itching was slowly going away. That is the worst feeling I have ever had (but I am sure it wasn't as bad as my mom having gallstones). The only good thing I got out of it is that I didn't have to go to school today lol. Has anyone ever heard of this before (the intense itching) ?

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
Yes, its normal. Try not to scratch it though it will take longer to heal. Usually with the itching soon afterwards you'll start peeling. You may also want to apply aloe vera several times a day. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids to keep your body hydrated too.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Fortunately for you, you've got skin which has a lot of pigment. In spite of this, you've still got to take it easy with the burns man.

Tanning of the skin in itself is not really that horrible for already dark skinned people. However, with each sunburn you experience in your childhood, the likelihood of developing melanoma as an adult greatly increases.

Sunscreen is truly your friend regardless of your ethnicity.

rmfnla

Bronze
Wait until your skin starts to peel...

For real relief, get an Aloe plant, break off a "leaf" and spread the gooey sap onto the burned areas.

Aloe-based products don't work as well; fresh aloe is the best.

I grew up in Florida and now live in L.A.; I'm a sunburn expert.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Oh, I am sorry about the sunburn. It really is painful and annoying.

I agree with drinking water. Taking some ibuprofin ay help if you have some swelling also. Lots of lotion (plain, unscented is better so it will not irritate your skin more) or aloe will help your skin be more moist and less itchy.

I remember getting many burns when I was a teenager (I am a pale person of English and German descent). I always wear tons of sunscreen now. Milehighrob is right about melanoma. I wish I was more diligent with the sunscreen when I was younger!

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
untreated sunburns can cause insanity, and i'm being serious.

when it feels like you skin is on fire yet VERY sensitive you could easily lose your mind.
i think i actually made a topic on here about that once..

anyway, make sure you put tons of creams etc

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
The worst thing about your first real sunburn is when you start scratching it and the skin begins to slough off in bloody, pus-dripping 2'x2' chunks. This can cause a good deal of discomfort and social avoidance, so try not to scratch too much.

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
The worst thing about your first real sunburn is when you start scratching it and the skin begins to slough off in bloody, pus-dripping 2'x2' chunks. This can cause a good deal of discomfort and social avoidance, so try not to scratch too much.
ewww....that is so nasty! LOL

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Worst burn I ever got developed a half-dollar-sized blister overnight on my FREAKING FACE. Right on my cheek... a big, puffy, fluid-filled sack. I ripped it putting on my shirt and warm, clear yellow liquid oozed down my face.

Wear sunscreen, dumbass. I'm talking to myself as much as you, Josh... ;)