My friend sent me my old 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone 3GS' started by JWiPhone, Dec 15, 2015.

1. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

Years ago when I was upgrading to iPhone 4 I sold my 3GS to my friend. The other day my friend shipped it back to me as a keepsake. She still had it laying around after all these years. I was shocked how small it looked when I received. Here it is compared to my iPhone 6 Plus. I have to say it does fit nicely in my hand, but I can't imagine typing on it or viewing such a small screen by today's standards.

Picture taken with my iPad so not the best quality in low light.

IMG_0127.JPG

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I wish I still had my old original iPhone. @Europa still has her 3GS.

3. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I'm going to keep my old 3GS. I'm looking for an old cable so I can charge it up. I use to work with someone who still used the original iPhone 1, that was in 2012. I couldn't believe she still was using it, probably just for phone calls.

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

5. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I've still got a 3G in its box, including the sim card tool. I'm charging it right now to see if still works. Thankfully I thought to throw an old cable in the box too, I got rid of the others I used to have. I think it might still be jailbroken, IIRC. It does seem amazingly small, even compared to my 6s.

6. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

7. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Yep, it still works. Curiously, it thinks it is Friday, December 31st, 1999.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450228958.290937.jpg

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Your friend is awesome, JW! I'm sure that is super cool to be reunited with it. I remember you jokingly referring to that phone as your girlfriend and shocking and fooling every one of us into thinking you were upgrading it to a Sprint HTC One on April Fools Day. That was good! (y)

I boot up my 3GS from time to time to get nostalgic and compare the OS and phone size to my newer phones. I kept it on 3.1.2 so it would run exactly like it did back then and be limited to the features we had in 2009. It still has the 8 ball slider on the lock screen that I custom made for Rugaby and the dock that absolutely had to have the first time I saw it, which inspired me to jailbreak my 3G for the first time on Christmas day 2008.
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

9. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

Actually, I wasn't joking. That phone really was my girlfriend.

That is awesome Europa! I love how you kept it on 3.1.2. I'm charging my 3GS right now. I have to say it really does feel great in the hand. Like you I get nostalgic. It just now booted up and I see that small screen with the wallpaper now, gotta love those old icons.

10. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

That's great Kadellic. Mine looks just like that. I just now recharged and booted it up. There is something kind of charming and quaint about this phone. I still like the new iPhone but it is fun to look back and see what we use to think of as cutting edge.

11. Alex Spieth

Alex Spieth New Member

I still have the original iPhone (though it's in bits as I tried (and failed) to fix the home button). I remember being so proud of that thing, now it just looks ridiculous. Even the 4 looks like a relic now with its tiny screen and huge bezel. The iPhone 12 should be interesting!