My hard drives full. Getting music to external hard drive

doleeo

Jul 30, 2007
Well, my laptop hard drive is full and I'm going to be purchasing an external hard drive. I was just wondering how I can get all my music on to the external plus how do I get iTunes to download music to that hard drive instead of trying to download it to the C drive.

Thanks for your help.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Could you not just transfer your iTunes folder to the external? There is a setting in iTunes where you can tell it the location of the music folder. You would have to have the external on when doing anything with iTunes, but this should work.

GolfNut

Bronze
Oct 15, 2007
In iTunes, go to Edit, Preferences, select the Advanced tab, then ensure it's on the General tab. There you can set the path for where you want iTunes to store your music.

I haven't tried this myself, but I would think you could simply copy the entire iTunes music folder to another location and then change the setting in iTunes, or vice versa.

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
Either that or delete your whole library, move it to your external hard drive and then go to file>add folder to library> then browse to where you moved it, click on the music folder and click okay, thats what I do, its a bit quicker....

GolfNut

Bronze
Oct 15, 2007
Either that or delete your whole library, move it to your external hard drive and then go to file>add folder to library> then browse to where you moved it, click on the music folder and click okay, thats what I do, its a bit quicker....
JHors:

If you delete it first, you wouldn't then be able to move it, right? And, if you simply add another library, don't you get errors because the data is missing from the primary file path setting in prefs?

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
I just mean delete it from the library list itself, not the actual files. I have my music stored in a separate place from the library folder that is in my music. So I delete the library, move the physical music files from where I had them which was just in >My Docs>Music into E:/Music which is the new folder path and re-add them.