My hopes and fears about iPhone 3G

Sep 29, 2007
Well I am not as big as an iPhone nerd as I used to be when I got my V1 but as V2 approaches I can only hope for the best.

My mother wants an iPhone and she doesn't like "change" too much as she is used to using it and I said I'd give it to her and I'd get the new 3G phone maybe.

Well as it approaches I can only fear for the worst.

Fears:
-Since we have to activate it in an AT&T store, what happens when we have to restore the phone? Do we have to go back to the AT&T store or with the restore will the Sim Card/IMEI Number balance and check and auto activate

-Will the 1+mbps speed stay consistant? I had the V1 Blackjack with 3G and it wasn't always the same speed with 5 bars reloading the same page.

-Will the battery last as long as V1? On the blackjack with 3g I actually turned off 3g as it drained battery so much.

-Unlocking isn't a big issue for my family as we all already use AT&T but what happens if the AppStore isn't enough and if the hackers are not able to jailbreak the iPhone? Im pretty sure they will but its always a possability.

Hopes

-V1 iPhone dropped its price to like $399 I think it was and I bought mine then, MAYBE V2 will but I doubt much or if even at all as its already very cheap.

-No need to re-activate at AT&T store after restore through iTunes at home. (this may lead to a way to use modify the firmware into jailbreaking or even unlocking.

-More consistant updates and maybe Video, MMS, and all that jaz..

Theres a lot more but I fractured my wrist and cant type much right now maybe later.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Well I am not as big as an iPhone nerd as I used to be when I got my V1 but as V2 approaches I can only hope for the best.

My mother wants an iPhone and she doesn't like "change" too much as she is used to using it and I said I'd give it to her and I'd get the new 3G phone maybe.

Fears:
-Since we have to activate it in an AT&T store, what happens when we have to restore the phone? Do we have to go back to the AT&T store or with the restore will the Sim Card/IMEI Number balance and check and auto activate

-Will the 1+mbps speed stay consistant? I had the V1 Blackjack with 3G and it wasn't always the same speed with 5 bars reloading the same page.

-Will the battery last as long as V1? On the blackjack with 3g I actually turned off 3g as it drained battery so much.

-Unlocking isn't a big issue for my family as we all already use AT&T but what happens if the AppStore isn't enough and if the hackers are not able to jailbreak the iPhone? Im pretty sure they will but its always a possability.

Hopes

-V1 iPhone dropped its price to like $399 I think it was and I bought mine then, MAYBE V2 will but I doubt much or if even at all as its already very cheap.

-No need to re-activate at AT&T store after restore through iTunes at home. (this may lead to a way to use modify the firmware into jailbreaking or even unlocking.

Theres a lot more but I fractured my wrist and cant type much right now maybe later.
How'd you fracture it:eek:
-And is a broken arm and a fractured arm the same thing? . . .

But good points in your topic, my one fear is what if my area never gets 3G support and were still forced to pay the extra 10$ of the 3G service:sick:

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I think if we ever had to restore, we could do it at home. It would be too much of a hassle if we had to take it in every time.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Restoring won't be an issue - Apple wouldn't have you go to AT&T every time you do that. They know that it's necessary sometimes.

As for battery, battery life has been improved in iPhone 3G, so hopefully it'll level out.

- John

Sep 29, 2007
Restoring won't be an issue - Apple wouldn't have you go to AT&T every time you do that. They know that it's necessary sometimes.

As for battery, battery life has been improved in iPhone 3G, so hopefully it'll level out.

- John
Do you know if the iPhone will shut off 3g when Data is not in use? If it does battery will last so much longer.

Edit: Answered my own question; the power 3g is buried deep inside the menu so Apple expects the iPhone to last even with 3g on. An app to auto turn on and off would be great!

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/09/iphone-3g-hands-on/

The enable/disable 3G setting is real, and buried a few menus deep. There is no automatic switching, Apple just assumes you'll leave 3G on, and that the iPhone has the juice to support that usage.

May 18, 2008
Restoring it at Apple is so you sign the dotted line thats the only reason for you to go there in the first place, After that you will be able to do it at home as Apple and AT&T will have all your details and a signed contract from day one. :)

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT

Fears:

Hopes

I don't think any of your fears will end up being true, all you have to do in store is sign a thing saying that you will activate in iTunes within 30 days. You don't actually activate in the store if you don't want. And 3G is going to double in speed next year, they are constantly improving it. And Zibri already jailbroke 2.0 so no fear there.

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
1)all you have to do in store is sign a thing saying that you will activate in iTunes within 30 days. You don't actually activate in the store if you don't want.
2)And 3G is going to double in speed next year, they are constantly improving it.
3)And Zibri already jailbroke 2.0 so no fear there.
1) You're the first person I've heard mention this, but I haven't been on much today. Link by chance?
2) You can't really make a blanket statement like that. My EDGE doubles in speed between home and work. Where did you read that?
3) Sweet. I can't wait.