My horrific experience buying an iPhone with AT&T

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Your sample is scientifically insignificant. That's like saying a potato chip in your bag is broken, so thereforee, the entire companies product sucks lol.
You don't like my sampling? OK, how about JD Power and Associates?

Best in 2007:
http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2007118
Scroll to the bottom to see the graph. Also note how it says that "T-Mobile Ranks Highest in Wireless Customer Care Performance for a Sixth Consecutive Reporting Period", i.e., for 6 years!

Actually, AT&T moved up in 2007 but in '06 and '05 they were second from the bottom (didn't look up the other years).

LOL. I didn't even know this existed, I just searched the web and found it.

Soulquarian

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007

Best in 2007:
Scroll to the bottom to see the graph. Also note how it says that "T-Mobile Ranks Highest in Wireless Customer Care Performance for a Sixth Consecutive Reporting Period", i.e., for 6 years!

Actually, AT&T moved up in 2007 but in '06 and '05 they were second from the bottom (didn't look up the other years).

Did you read the part about call quality being a factor?

In particular, 28 percent of wireless customers with service problems contacted their carrier due to call quality issues, which is down considerably from 48 percent in 2004.
Really there's nothing that can be done if your call quality sucks other than maybe change the SIM or exchange the phone.

Kudos to T-Mobile, but it still doesn't change the fact of too many variables.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
This is the point I was trying to make. The reviews are all over the board. Some customers love everything about it and others hate everything about it.

The only way to know for sure is to get one and try it and see what the results are for YOU. That is what I intend to do. The timing is still undetermined. :p
my phone has none of these problems. This phone is perfect for me. However customer service with att takes a backseat to tmobile

MikeT77

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY
I live on Long Island and commute into Manhattan for work every day for the last 7 years. I had AT&T for a few years up until November 2003; the only reason I switched was because a friend at work told me T-Mobile was good and I really wanted a Samsung phone they had at the time. Shortly after switching, I regretted the change. I got great reception and service in Manhattan, but once back out on LI, it was terrible for me. Dropped calls, calls going to voicemail because the service reception was non existent, etc. In November 2004, I switched to Cingular, knowing that AT&T and Cingular were merging and would become the same company. Since November 2004, I have not had one problem...I can count on both hands the number of calls that have been dropped in almost 3 years. Every time I've called customer service for an issue, it's been handled pretty quickly, easily and with courtesy. I am extremely happy with the service and with my iPhone. I bought it 2 weeks after it came out and my activation took less then 5 minutes.

From the above and from what others have written, you can take the following:

If you switched to AT&T from another carrier, the chance that you had activation problems or a long wait were probably greatly increased. When I went from AT&T to T-Mobile, it took 5 days to port my number!

The reception you get is dependant on where you live and the places you'll be using the phone; if your area has little to no coverage, then don't try to switch to AT&T because you'll just end up frustrated. I traveled to LA, Toronto, Chicago and Stamford for work this year and brought my AT&T phone....and had no problems with calls.

AT&T service doesn't "suck" just because you (an individual) have a problem with it. If it sucks so much, then why (before the iPhone) would AT&T be able to maintain the subscriber level that they have? If I had a service that I wasn't happy with (and I did), I would let my year expire and then switch to where I would be happy. There are obvisouly more then enough people satisfied with AT&T's service that they stay with the company. You may not have had a good experience with the service, but that hardly qualifies it for the generalization that it "sucks."

Aug 10, 2007
In Response

I am responding to this post:

(I'm also a little confused about the original post which states that you were 2nd in line at an Apple store, but then details what seems to have been a poor purchase experience at an AT&T store. ?)

Yes, I was second in line. I sat outside all day and waited for the iPhone. I took off work that Friday and waited till 6pm. That didn't bother me because there were very nice people in line. However when I got inside, I had to wait 25 minutes to conduct my transaction (The guy at the counter had problems understanding how to use the Online Tranaction part and held up my purchase, do I need to further explain? (Example: scanning my the barcode on my bag? What did that solve? Is that enough evidence?) From that moment I should have known that I wasn't going to have any luck with this phone. When someone pays that kind of money they expect to have the basic part (the phone) to work.

Honestly, if Verizon (which in my area seems to have the best coverage) sold the iPhone, I don't think I would be posting to this thread because I don't see that I would have had all these problems. However with At&T in this area, (NY/NJ) the reception is absolutely horrible. I really want to own a iPhone. I am a shareholder, a options holder and a big fan of Apple. However I am left in the dark here on the east coast with not being able to get a iPhone because the iPhone would be the only phone that I have. I do not have a house line that would want to buy in addition.

It seems to me like people in California, Arizona, Texas and so on, do not have these problems because of there GSM coverage being better in there areas.

My personal experience with Cingular's network has been MUCH better than when I was with Verizon. I think the customer service has gotten worse since AT&T took over, but I've never had stellar CS from a cell phone company.

Anyway, I wanted to chime in because our house is in a "moderate coverage" area, but not all of us experience crappy signal strength - it depends on the phone. My old Audiovox SMT5600 got virtually no signal in the house at all. My teenage daughter, however, has always gotten a nice, strong signal on her low-end-two-year-old flip phone and has no problem keeping a connection. My iPhone almost always has 4 bars and I am THRILLED. If it did NOTHING else, it would be worth the $600... but it does do SO much more.

I guess my point is that I don't think you can make blanket statements about things that have as many variables as cellular phone service.

(I'm also a little confused about the original post which states that you were 2nd in line at an Apple store, but then details what seems to have been a poor purchase experience at an AT&T store. ?)

Aug 10, 2007
Point taken.... have you ever used Verizon in this area?

I live on Long Island and commute into Manhattan for work every day for the last 7 years. I had AT&T for a few years up until November 2003; the only reason I switched was because a friend at work told me T-Mobile was good and I really wanted a Samsung phone they had at the time. Shortly after switching, I regretted the change. I got great reception and service in Manhattan, but once back out on LI, it was terrible for me. Dropped calls, calls going to voicemail because the service reception was non existent, etc. In November 2004, I switched to Cingular, knowing that AT&T and Cingular were merging and would become the same company. Since November 2004, I have not had one problem...I can count on both hands the number of calls that have been dropped in almost 3 years. Every time I've called customer service for an issue, it's been handled pretty quickly, easily and with courtesy. I am extremely happy with the service and with my iPhone. I bought it 2 weeks after it came out and my activation took less then 5 minutes.

From the above and from what others have written, you can take the following:

If you switched to AT&T from another carrier, the chance that you had activation problems or a long wait were probably greatly increased. When I went from AT&T to T-Mobile, it took 5 days to port my number!

The reception you get is dependant on where you live and the places you'll be using the phone; if your area has little to no coverage, then don't try to switch to AT&T because you'll just end up frustrated. I traveled to LA, Toronto, Chicago and Stamford for work this year and brought my AT&T phone....and had no problems with calls.

AT&T service doesn't "suck" just because you (an individual) have a problem with it. If it sucks so much, then why (before the iPhone) would AT&T be able to maintain the subscriber level that they have? If I had a service that I wasn't happy with (and I did), I would let my year expire and then switch to where I would be happy. There are obvisouly more then enough people satisfied with AT&T's service that they stay with the company. You may not have had a good experience with the service, but that hardly qualifies it for the generalization that it "sucks."

Aug 10, 2007
Thanks for the post. I never considered Tmobile.

Best in 2007:

MikeT77

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY
Point taken.... have you ever used Verizon in this area?
I haven't used it in the NY/LI area, but my brother has it and likes it...I think AT&T, Sprint & Verizon all work in NY because of the area (big city, big businessses, etc.)....