My iPad Air impressions

Discussion in 'iPad Air' started by Hawk, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

So the iPad Air is my first Apple tablet, and coming from being an iPhone user since the original, I wasn't sure exactly what to expect.
    Sure, I've seen them in stores, played with them a little, but owning and using one in a real world environment is a lot different than spending 10 minutes in an Apple store or best buy swiping around.
    Initially, I was a bit under-whelmed. Somehow my expectations of performance were that this would be a similar, but more advanced (and speedier) version of the iPhone. Technically it is, but it's not how it felt when I got it loaded up and rolling.
    First, I expected it to be far more responsive than my iPhone. It's not. It might be a bit faster with loading a few things, but overall I find to be about the same as my iPhone 5. Just not feeling any boost in performance compared to what I'm used to.
    The second thing is the larger layout. Not a fan. Technically this isn't Apple's fault directly, but more the developers, but as a prime example, the safari back and forward browsing buttons at the top are rather inconvenient when you are used to their placement in the iPhone, plus you tend to hold the device in the middle or towards the bottom. Reaching up to the top is a very inefficient design. This includes every app that used this design as well. It's a bit of a pain in the butt.
    Thirdly, this thing bogs down faster than my iPhone. Especially when it comes to Internet applications. It's like being back on wireless B again. (Note. This could be a work wireless problem, and not the iPad. Still checking on this)

Now that I've had it for a bit, and have learned its full capabilities, I'm more impressed, and have made it invaluable at work. A very large part of my position has become media oriented. I am responsible for installations and care of conference room systems which include video conferencing, audio conferencing, projectors, tv's, etc, etc.
    I don't have to lug around my laptop. I take my iPad and two adapters- the VGA and the HDMI- to each area I have to test every morning.
    I can also use iTeleport to remote access my laptop at my desk if I need to use any specific tools that are not available for the iPad.
    Most of the time this works well, although there seems to be an issue with wifi dropping a lot, and for no reason.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. I think the Air needs more RAM and better wireless, but it gets the job done. After watching my coworkers struggle with their galaxy tablets, I definitely have a little sense of superiority over them, but I know not all is perfect in my little world.

Anyway, I'll update this in about another week with more.

Sent using iCafe app

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Hawk, you'll grow to love it I expect. I wish I was in a position to get one, but I'll keep my mini for now.

3. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Keep in mind, there are also the forward/back gestures you can use which are more handy.

But I do agree that more RAM would be nice. 1GB is a hell of a lot better than the 512MB that i had in my original mini, but i still find safari having to reload web pages i was on after only switching away to one or two light apps (like notes) or other tabs.

I haven't really noticed the other issues you mentioned.

#3 acosmichippo, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Those gestures in Safari are one of my favorite features in iOS 7. I've been using them to swipe forward and back for months on my iPhone now and I still appreciate this way of doing it every time I use it. I used an old iPhone on iOS 6 the other day and kept trying to swipe. It would be difficult to go back.

5. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Maybe I'm not doing them correctly, because I cannot always get a page to swipe back. I would say that at least half the sites I visit it doesn't work on.

Sent using iCafe app

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It won't go back if it's a new tab. Sometimes I click a link and it opens a new tab and then by habit I try to swipe back. Instead I have to pull up the previous tab and then swipe back. I use Safari a lot and it always goes back as long as there are pages cached in that tab.

7. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

I thought of that as well, but there was only the one tab. It could just be the sites.

Sent using iCafe app