My iPhone 5 and iMessage

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Zanthe, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

So a couple of my friends went the Android route and no longer use an iPhone.

So they had to change a setting on their phones to be able to receive a text message from me because when I send a text it is trying to send it as an iMessage.

When I select either of the two contacts they are shown in blue and it says "New iMessage"...once I hit send it gives me an error and asks if I want to send as a text and then it goes through and shows up green.

So Apple says my friends have to have their iMessage Certificate Revoked. But now that Apple says their numbers are no longer associated with iMessage MY phone continue to act as I said above.

Now they are telling me I have to restore my phone in order to get this cleared up. Does this even sound reasonable?

Also if I restore what settings am I going to have to redo? What a PITA. So today, I hate you Apple.

Maybe @Europa has better advice?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PM with troubleshooting steps sent.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

If anyone can solve your iMessage woes, it's @Europa ... I see she already PM'ed you.

You're right, that does sound like a PITA.

If I were in your situation, I'd simply get rid of those friends and make new, iphone-using friends to take their place... :D

4. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Well, the fact that the two "friends" went to Android phone should be enough reason to ignore them and delete their contacts from my phone. Problem solved.

Actually it seems this issue is one where my phone (and others with this problem) have this iMessage thing "stuck". The Senior Advisor at Apple said that restoring the phone after users have disassociated their number with iMessage would fix the problem. I told her I wasn't doing that.

Apple needs to deal with this problem. It's clearly their issue and should be able to be resolved with a software tweak.

@Europa is equally frustrated as she is trying to help others with the same problem. Nothing so far has resolved the situation.

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

It's not a new issue by any means. For a while now, it seems that once you iMessage from iOS, getting one's "iMessage certificate revoked" is about as difficult as getting rid of an unwanted tattoo.

I can't understand how with their stratospheric resources, they haven't found a way to make this process easier.

Maybe it's their way of "punishing" people for jumping ship... (I hope I'm wrong; this would be awfuly mean on their part).

6. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Punishing? Might be the truth. :p

Like I said maybe another way of controlling people or maybe they just can't figure out what to do. In either case it ridiculous!

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Apple needs to do three things to fix this.

1. Make an online iMessages deactivation method available for those who forgot or didn't know that they needed to disable iMessages prior to restoring and selling their iPhones. Unregistering the phone online doesn't always solve the problem.

2. Add an option to clear the iMessages cache for those with iPhones that persistently see a current Android user's phone as an iPhone and thereforee continue to send iMessages to them that they can't receive. Currently, the fix Apple is recommending is to restore, and that's pretty drastic.

3. Add a setting that will allow people to disable iMessages for individual contacts (who now have Android devices that are still being seen as iPhones). It is currently an all-or-nothing setting so some people are having to disable iMessages altogether because of a problem with one contact.

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

One problem with item one (above) that I can foresee (and I'm no expert, so maybe I'm completely off base) might be as follows: How does a user that's no longer using an iPhone prove to Apple.com that he/she owns a certain phone number and that he/she should have the authority to remove it from the iMessage database? Apple.com would need to tap into the carrier's database, similar to the way Apple.com communicates with att.net (or verizon.net/sprint.net) when you're purchasing a new iPhone to determine if you're eligible for a subsidy from the carrier. And with the number of carriers that are out there, Apple.com can't (or perhaps shouldn't) make it available for AT&T/Verizon/Sprint users and -not- make it available for the small, regional carriers. I see almost forty carriers in the USA alone that Apple would have to make negotiations with.

Without a check for phone number ownership, a miscreant could log into Apple.com and mischievously disable iMessages for one—or a batch—of phone numbers that are still owned by people using iPhones.

AT&T/Verizon/Sprint might have the resources to write a program that runs on their site and provides a way for Apple.com to tap into their database, but Joe Shmo Wireless which serves Alabama, Mississippi, and parts of Arkansas might not have those resources—or simply might not be willling to make the investment.

An alternative would be for the user to call a certain Apple phone number dedicated to this task, and then the Apple rep on the other end of the line has to manually call up the carrier in question to verify that any given user owns a given phone number. Apple certainly has the cash to make this happen and foot the bill, although I don't see this happening.

9. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Forwarded to Tim Cook. :D

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I was going to write that this would have to be verified through a second login to the user's carrier, which is how it works when we are checking eligibility, but I decided to keep my points as brief as possible without getting into too many details of how these features could be implemented.

11. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Tim Cook approved this message.

12. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

I've been having the same issue for two months now. Did they tell you to restore from back-up or restore as new? I ask because I recently got a warranty replacement and restored from my back-up and still have the problem.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Restoring to factory settings will fix the problem if your iMessages cache is forcing it to be seen as an iPhone after they have already resolved it. It won't fix it if their phone number is still tied to an iMessages account. That has to be fixed on their end.

14. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

That's too bad. I might do it as a last resort but I'm still willing to wait a bit and see if Apple fixes it.