My iPhone can digitally zoom!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
I know this because it was stuck zoomed for about 5 minutes this morning. Initially I didn't realize what was going on, I just thought the FOV looked like it was different than usual. As it turns out, it was.

My kids had just gotten back from T'giving with the in-laws and I was taking some shots of them asleep this morning. It seemed like I was having to back waaaay up to frame the shot. I was actually getting sort of frustrated when all of a sudden, POP, the camera switches to zoomed-out view (normal FOV). I didn't do anything other than turn on the phone, press the camera button, and start taking pictures. Obviously a glitch but it DID digitally zoom.

This at least answers the question on whether the first gen phones can be modded to zoom digitally.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Kind of like that thread where the guy said his phone was able to copy and paste when he was in an awkward position in the bathroom. :p

I believe you, though. Pretty neat.

- John

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
Kind of like that thread where the guy said his phone was able to copy and paste when he was in an awkward position in the bathroom. :p

I believe you, though. Pretty neat.

- John
NO NO NO NO NO NOTHING LIKE THAT POST. Why would you bring that up again!? I've just now gotten over it! Great, my appetite's gone for another week now. :(

Seriously it's not a reproducible thing. I only even brought it up to illustrate that this phone's hardware/software CAN do it. Obviously a bug at this point, though. Some modders might be able to figure out a camera program to do it on demand.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
NO NO NO NO NO NOTHING LIKE THAT POST. Why would you bring that up again!? I've just now gotten over it! Great, my appetite's gone for another week now. :(

Seriously it's not a reproducible thing. I only even brought it up to illustrate that this phone's hardware/software CAN do it. Obviously a bug at this point, though. Some modders might be able to figure out a camera program to do it on demand.
Lol. Sorry about that.

You didn't happen to be standing in an awkward position when taking the pictures, did you?

- John

bw2151

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
I know this because it was stuck zoomed for about 5 minutes this morning. Initially I didn't realize what was going on, I just thought the FOV looked like it was different than usual. As it turns out, it was.

My kids had just gotten back from T'giving with the in-laws and I was taking some shots of them asleep this morning. It seemed like I was having to back waaaay up to frame the shot. I was actually getting sort of frustrated when all of a sudden, POP, the camera switches to zoomed-out view (normal FOV). I didn't do anything other than turn on the phone, press the camera button, and start taking pictures. Obviously a glitch but it DID digitally zoom.

This at least answers the question on whether the first gen phones can be modded to zoom digitally.
This actually happened to me as well once, hasn't happened since - if course this was when I needed to take a picture and couldn't mess with it.

jmcn72

Oct 21, 2007
Count me in as a believer. It happened to me once too. I think it was because I had zoomed in while looking at a photo in the Camera Roll and then switched back to the camera screen but I could be losing it. *shrugs*

"The Truth is out there..."